Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To be clear AVERAGE afl salary is $440k.
By 2027 ~ $520k. So Martin on 2 years at $400k is a below average salary. Those saying $200k is what a first year player gets…

So below average salary , for a DFA ie costs zero picks for two years. I’m in the get Martin camp. I’ll be his buddy next year too.
Zero risk here , 95% upside. Proven AFL talent,Worse case plays 10 games in 2 years 5% chance he blows his calves and retires/LTI. Assume this is exactly why we do a significant medical before trade, either way still has better skills than 95% of the 18yo fourth round picks.

Average means nothing. It's a magic trick, the vast majority of AFL players even well under the average.

To be clear AVERAGE afl salary is $440k.
By 2027 ~ $520k. So Martin on 2 years at $400k is a below average salary. Those saying $200k is what a first year player gets…

So below average salary , for a DFA ie costs zero picks for two years. I’m in the get Martin camp. I’ll be his buddy next year too.
Zero risk here , 95% upside. Proven AFL talent,Worse case plays 10 games in 2 years 5% chance he blows his calves and retires/LTI. Assume this is exactly why we do a significant medical before trade, either way still has better skills than 95% of the 18yo fourth round picks.
I'm fairly somewhat ok with taking the swing in as far as no cost to get him and the list spot management is done crafty like. There's gold in them thar hills.

I'd just be wary (superstitious) of him spending the first 2/3 of the season in rehab, coming in for a 5-7 games of good footy, which forces someone developing out, only for him to break down on the eve of finals. We're then left scrambling to get someone up to speed.

I'm fairly somewhat ok with taking the swing in as far as no cost to get him and the list spot management is done crafty like. There's gold in them thar hills.

I'd just be wary (superstitious) of him spending the first 2/3 of the season in rehab, coming in for a 5-7 games of good footy, which forces someone developing out, only for him to break down on the eve of finals. We're then left scrambling to get someone up to speed.

I like the idea of inviting him to train, plus 2 or 3 mature age players and the best player gets it.

Yep. Do they release median & modal salaries? I'd bet they're low $300s/high $200s.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

For 2023, the average salary was 440k, but the most heavily populated bracket was 100-200k. Followed by 200-300k. I would guess the mode was around the 150k mark. The median (which in theory would be roughly the last player chosen in a best 18) would be around 400k.

And that's not including rookie listed players. The figures in the link above are for main list only. If you add 130 rookies, the mode would move closer to 100k and the median would be low 300's. That median would now be someone in theory that is last selected in a best 22/23.

Then there's the salary cap increase to account for. Contracts for Fyfe, JOM, Walters, Brodie, Aish, Erasmus (1st round picks get good deals). They might be above the median salary but outside the best 22 next year. We also have more than most clubs crammed in at the top end, leaving less room at the other end.

So in the terms of guys like Sturt and O'Driscoll ... they might scrape into the best 22, but I think would be below the median and 300k would be around the mark.

I'd say we got Sturt over the line with something like that. Might have a lower offer for Noddy (e.g. 250k, or 200k plus match payment incentives), and he could have a bit more guaranteed on the table (e.g. 350k) from elsewhere.

In the context of Martin, he would be even further down the pecking order. I'd say a fair offer would be around 150-175k with match payment incentives. His last contract was reported to be over $3 million total from Carlton, plus whatever GC paid him before that. Hopefully he has invested it wisely.

I like the idea of inviting him to train, plus 2 or 3 mature age players and the best player gets it.
Football-wise he's a proven entity. Don't think there's anyone we'd have in that list would even come close on that score.

Obviously extra time on the training track for any injury kinks to surface would be nice to hedge bets for us. It would open the door for others to swoop as well...effectively we'd be defacto hedging for everybody (with an interest and earlier picks).

Football-wise he's a proven entity. Don't think there's anyone we'd have in that list would even come close on that score.

Obviously extra time on the training track for any injury kinks to surface would be nice to hedge bets for us. It would open the door for others to swoop as well...effectively we'd be defacto hedging for everybody (with an interest and earlier picks).

I think he is one injury from retirement. At least if he is injury free for 2 months he is half a chance of having a good year.

I would love to know the success rate in signing delisted players.

I think mature agers would have a higher success rate.

Any one doubting small forwards should be our highest priority, surely tonight puts that to bed.

We need 3 this year.
I agree.

However we have been slow on the uptake on this trend with our list management.

Historically freo don’t value small forwards highly.
We think they can be taken with late and rookie picks. Not sure we have ever used a first round pick in the draft on one. Certainly not in recent times.

History suggest the idea of using a top 10 pick on a small forward is a horror movie to David Walls and the list management team.

Hopefully that’s changed this year. If we got Bolton and Joe berry it would go a nice way to fixing the gap we have.

We will win nothing in September if still relying on Switta, Banfield and Emmett in those positions

Any one doubting small forwards should be our highest priority, surely tonight puts that to bed.

We need 3 this year.
They can be hard to find (of quality). Even one could do it. Not all that happy saying it, but Rioli was an absolute godsend for Port last night. Turned plenty of pig turds into silk purses.

I agree.

However we have been slow on the uptake on this trend with our list management.

Historically freo don’t value small forwards highly.
We think they can be taken with late and rookie picks. Not sure we have ever used a first round pick in the draft on one. Certainly not in recent times.

History suggest the idea of using a top 10 pick on a small forward is a horror movie to David Walls and the list management team.

Hopefully that’s changed this year. If we got Bolton and Joe berry it would go a nice way to fixing the gap we have.

We will win nothing in September if still relying on Switta, Banfield and Emmett in those positions

Agree.

I really wanf to use a later pick with a small forward as well. Or get a mature ager. Especially if we find a tackling machine who can kick goals.

They don't need to beat 22, I just want a good player in WAFL who can put pressure on the 22

Oliver Harraford is rising late. Evan Bradley has been talked about.
I am sure there is a mature ager around.

They can be hard to find (of quality). Even one could do it. Not all that happy saying it, but Rioli was an absolute godsend for Port last night. Turned plenty of pig turds into silk purses.
Rioli was brilliant.

Hawks smalls were dangerous. It is the big hole in our list.

Rioli was brilliant.

Hawks smalls were dangerous. It is the big hole in our list.
Would've been interesting to see Schultz in that forward line with Treacy doing what he was doing this year.

The upside is there's plenty of natural internal improvement likely in our forwardline for next year. Amiss, Treacy, Jackson and Sturt could all get that much better with just regular development paths.

Even Emmett could be expect to go a level or two higher into his third year.

...but plug in a zippy forward or two who can convert 1/2 and 1/4 opportunities in there as well, it's more than enticing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would've been interesting to see Schultz in that forward line with Treacy doing what he was doing this year.

The upside is there's plenty of natural internal improvement likely in our forwardline for next year. Amiss, Treacy, Jackson and Sturt could all get that much better with just regular development paths.

Even Emmett could be expect to go a level or two higher into his third year.

...but plug in a zippy forward or two who can convert 1/2 and 1/4 opportunities in there as well, it's more than enticing.

Rioli created 3 or 4 goals from half opportunities.

Add more class and everyone looks better. It would be hard to measure, but swapping Emmett with rioli may add 30 goals to our side. 15 from him, plus 15 from other people.

It would be the same for Schultz with his defensive pressure plus still kicking goals. . Would love would both types of players in our 22. I think Berry is closer to Rioli.
Oliver Hannaford closer to Schultz.

He has already been announced as delisted. So zero cost. He even did a medical with us whilst his team were in finals and he was listed as a test.

The cost is a primary list spot. That does concern me.

The options are
DFA - gives him a list spot.
Rookie SSP (where he does a Sharp and doesn’t nominate for drafts)

I prefer option 2 for an injury prone player.

Rookie SSP (where he does a Sharp and doesn’t nominate for drafts)

And running one short on the primary list to facilitate the extra rookie spot does reduce his salary cap impact by nearly $100k a year.

She’s also currently pregnant with their second child. If either QLD team were an option I’d put my money on him going there instead.
Although it's been some since he's lived in WA. Might be thinking it's a chance to spend a year or two living in WA around his family before potentially relocating back to Qld when he retires.

Rioli created 3 or 4 goals from half opportunities.

Add more class and everyone looks better. It would be hard to measure, but swapping Emmett with rioli may add 30 goals to our side. 15 from him, plus 15 from other people.

It would be the same for Schultz with his defensive pressure plus still kicking goals. . Would love would both types of players in our 22. I think Berry is closer to Rioli.
Oliver Hannaford closer to Schultz.

You want to add more class to Peels fwd line.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back