Greater Western Sydney – 94
Carlton – 91
Hawthorn – 90
Fremantle – 87
Gold Coast – 85
Adelaide – 80
North Melbourne – 75

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/fixture?Competition=3&Season=72&Round=1106
Also if you want to specifically compare Freo and Hawthorn who are ostensibly similar buts whose end of season form line went opposite ways: By the end of it we were fielding teams in the 85 games 24.8 years old range*. Whereas the Hawks actually were slightly older than Port on the weekend at 102 and 25.2 (v 98 and 25.1).

*This is only an excuse in that 'It is what it is'. We have put ourselves in this position through the decision to essentially double dip rebuild and not to expend capital shoring up the older end of the list (26+) though trades and DFA's (Instead the capital has been expended on players the same age as the core). We have only signed two players over the age of 26 in 5 years and one of them was a DFA backup. BTW I think there are strong signs its a strategy that is going to pay off, but until it does...

Last edited:
Yes, that was a moment where I sat up and was like wow that's horrific, that's way below the level. I'm hoping it's just first year blues. Coop has really fallen off in the second half of this season.
There was a bit of a jumper clash yesterday. Allan also handballed direct to Swans player in space at one point. And it wasn't like it was a 5 metre no-look handball to a voice. Guy was 15 / 20 metres away ahead of play.

Also if you want to specifically compare Freo and Hawthorn who are ostensibly similar buts whose end of season form line went opposite ways: By the end of it we were fielding teams in the 85 games 24.8 years old range*. Whereas the Hawks actually were slightly older than Port on the weekend at 102 and 25.2 (v 98 and 25.1).

*This is only an excuse in that 'It is what it is'. We have put ourselves in this position through the decision to essentially double dip rebuild and not to expend capital shoring up the older end of the list (26+) though trades and DFA's (Instead the capital has been expended on players the same age as the core). We have only signed two players over the age of 26 in 5 years and one of them was a DFA backup. BTW I think there a strong signs its a strategy that is going to pay off, but until it does...

Oh it will pay off. And pay off in a big way. There has been some pain getting here and that will make the next decade all the sweeter.

The move has always been on the cards. Probably a bit easier now with Draper looking the goods.

Not sure we’ll be able to get away with playing Draper at Peel anyway tbh. If we try that at some stage it’s not going to end well in terms of him staying at the club long term.

But I do think there’s room for Sharp and Chapman on either wing and NOD as an inside wind that rotates wing within the best 22 tbh (It’d probably mean Johnson replaces Fyfe rather than playing multiple roles during games which I’m okay with).

Not sure we’ll be able to get away with playing Draper at Peel anyway tbh. If we try that at some stage it’s not going to end well in terms of him staying at the club long term.

But I do think there’s room for Sharp and Chapman on either wing and NOD as an inside wind that rotates wing within the best 22 tbh (It’d probably mean Johnson replaces Fyfe rather than playing multiple roles during games which I’m okay with).
Draper will play where the club tells him to. He has a lot to learn and also needs to bulk up, he only played this year because of injuries to our KPD.
We aren't moving around best 22 players for fear of Draper leaving..

Error in decision making (I mean horrific bad) when under near zero pressure was what makes it concerning. And sure execution can go awry... but what he pulled out of the hat was a few strokes below sub par.

I mean I like Simpson too, but it's the combination there that makes it a stark moment to carry forward and not just be brushed aside.

Hopefully a real learning opportunity.
He stuffed the kick, think you're reading too much into it

Doubt it even gets brought up in review

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper will play where the club tells hiu
m to. He has a lot to learn and also needs to bulk up, he only played this year because of injuries to our KPD.
We aren't moving around best 22 players for fear of Draper leaving..
If we play him at Peel all season he's gone just like Logue was.

He's too good to play in the state leagues even now. The KPD market being the way it is means we're lucky he's staying even next season tbh.

He's too good to play in the state leagues even now. The KPD market being the way it is means we're lucky he's staying even next season tbh.
Reckon you're a couple years ahead on draper

He isn't a proven entity yet, he's about 15-20 games ahead of where he thought he'd be this year

He is very young, would know he has alot of development to go and just be stoked to get the opportunities

Reckon you're a couple years ahead on draper

He isn't a proven entity yet, he's about 15-20 games ahead of where he thought he'd be this year

He is very young, would know he has alot of development to go and just be stoked to get the opportunities
Don't think I'm going ahead on this one at all. He's not Pearce, Ryan or Cox but he's best 22 for a lot of teams throughout the competition IMO.

Unlike Logue I think he's worth doing everything we can to keep. He can actually kick for a start.

He's NOT a state league player.

Draper, I think can play small and so could Logue. Massive differences are skills and creativity.

I think we can play Draper, Cox, Pearce, and Chapman in backline. Cox and Pearce take the Bigs and Draper and Chapman and Ryan can take medium or third tall forwards. Walker and Clark can play on the smalls and if needed Draper could defend smalls. Cox can play a few minutes relieving our tall forwards.

He stuffed the kick, think you're reading too much into it

Doubt it even gets brought up in review
He had heaps of time, took an absolutely terrible option and stuffed the kick...royally (by someone renowned for their foot skills). If it doesn't get picked up in his review the coaches are derelict.

He had heaps of time, took an absolutely terrible option and stuffed the kick...royally (by someone renowned for their foot skills). If it doesn't get picked up in his review the coaches are derelict.
The option was correct. It was a fluffed kick - prob the worst I’ve seen from him. It was a 20metre chip that for some reason went more than 20metres up in the sky and missed the target by a good 5-10metres. It was s*#t but don’t need to look too deeply at it. I think it was Broadbridge on the commentary that said something along the lines of “that was a really terrible turnover from Cooper”. You could see there were two Peel players just to the right of screen so you could see what he as doing just terrible execution.

I’ve noticed him getting caught a bit more in these higher pressure games. Subsequently rushing with his kicks.

As part of gathering that ball he won a good contest on the boundary by nudging his opposition off balance. He then just needed to compose himself before kicking to the option that he chose. Prob felt perceived pressure and rushed the kick.

The drop off in possessions is a little concerning but I wouldn’t ream the guy for one terribly fluffed mis-kick.

There is nothing to pickup though, coaches won't go over every skill error in the game

It may have been addressed on the day but not much more than that

The option was correct. It was a fluffed kick - prob the worst I’ve seen from him. It was a 20metre chip that for some reason went more than 20metres up in the sky and missed the target by a good 5-10metres. It was s*#t but don’t need to look too deeply at it. I think it was Broadbridge on the commentary that said something along the lines of “that was a really terrible turnover from Cooper”. You could see there were two Peel players just to the right of screen so you could see what he as doing just terrible execution.

I’ve noticed him getting caught a bit more in these higher pressure games. Subsequently rushing with his kicks.

As part of gathering that ball he won a good contest on the boundary by nudging his opposition off balance. He then just needed to compose himself before kicking to the option that he chose. Prob felt perceived pressure and rushed the kick.

The drop off in possessions is a little concerning but I wouldn’t ream the guy for one terribly fluffed mis-kick.
Sure, of course... a floaty kick from wing just behind centre to centre half back (going about a 30° angle) is never asking for trouble and rarely turns it over 😐.

I think everyone agrees it was poor execution

It's just not worth crucifying for him, it was a skill error
Where did I say it wanted to crucify him for it?

What I did say was it was a great learning opportunity... so he then can think twice before making such a risky and pointless decision again. Leading to probably overly hesitant execution errors.

As I also said, it looked like he was too much in his own head and not enough in the moment from his own instinct...and maybe that was due to coaches instructions to control the ball slow play style in order to protect their lead. Which would be a great learning on getting the balance right between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back