List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think bnfs are misleading in terms of player value to a team as weird as that sentence is. Would you have Switta as our 5th best player?

Players that are better / more important than Baker next year: Treacy, Amiss, Darcy, Young, Serong, Brayshaw, Clark, Pearce, Ryan, Jackson, Bolton.

I don't think it's debatable those players have a higher ceiling / output / importance Baker next year, even if a couple need to rediscover their best.

There's a few more you could argue about but those are pretty definitive IMO.

He probably only just scrapes into Richmond top 10 actual best players this year ad well.

They are also misleading as they can be skewed to player availability. Richmond had lots of players miss games in H&A season. Baker = durable and dependable. Good qualities for sure.

Players in green were clearly better or more important players than Baker. There's 10 in each year. Then you throw a blanket over the Short, Lambert, Baker, Castagna, Rioli types. Could argue the likes of Balta and Astbury more important. Baker would be in that 12th-16th bracket. When they lost their last final in 2022, he was ranked 14th for SC points. In their 2020 finals campaign, he was ranked 8th, 8th, 14th, 18th over the 4 games. Let's say 12th on average.

The notion that he was a top 5 player at Richmond based on B&F finishes is a fallacy. He was a 12th-14th type of player, just like he would be at Freo. And that can be very useful to have. A good little player that can improve the best 22. But we have a salary cap squeeze, so it isn't that simple.

2020 Jack Dyer Medal top 20

1st – Jayden Short, 53 votes
2nd – Dustin Martin, 50
3rd – Nick Vlastuin, 49
4th – Shai Bolton, 44

5th – Kamdyn McIntosh, 43
6th – Liam Baker, 42

7th – Dylan Grimes, 41
8th – Noah Balta, 40
9th – Kane Lambert, 39

10th – Trent Cotchin, 37
11th – Jack Graham, 34
12th – Tom Lynch, 33
13th – Jason Castagna, 32
Equal 14th – Jack Riewoldt, 29
Equal 14th – Daniel Rioli, 29
Equal 16th – Jake Aarts, 28

Equal 16th – Toby Nankervis, 28
18th – Marlion Pickett, 26
19th – Shane Edwards, 22
20th – Bachar Houli, 19

2021 Jack Dyer Medal top 20
1st – Dylan Grimes, 51 votes
Eq. 2nd – Jack Graham, 46
Eq. 2nd – Liam Baker, 46
4th – Shai Bolton, 45
Eq. 5th – Jack Riewoldt, 40
Eq. 5th – Dustin Martin, 40

7th – Jayden Short, 39
8th – Tom Lynch, 38
9th – Kane Lambert, 35
Eq. 10th – Trent Cotchin, 33
Eq. 10th – Nathan Broad, 33
12th – Toby Nankervis, 32
Eq. 13th – Marlion Pickett, 28
Eq. 13th – Jake Aarts, 28
Eq. 13th – Daniel Rioli, 28
Eq. 16th – Kamdyn McIntosh, 27
Eq. 16th – Jason Castagna, 27
Eq. 18th – David Astbury, 26
Eq. 18th – Dion Prestia, 26
Eq. 20th – Shane Edwards, 25
Eq. 20th – Nick Vlastuin, 25

2022 Jack Dyer Medal top 20 players
1st – Tom Lynch, 60
2nd – Daniel Rioli, 59
3rd – Dion Prestia, 56
Eq. 4th – Shai Bolton, 53

Eq. 4th – Liam Baker, 53
Eq. 6th – Trent Cotchin, 52
Eq. 6th – Jayden Short, 52
Eq. 8th – Toby Nankervis, 47
Eq. 8th – Marlion Pickett, 47
10th – Nathan Broad, 46

Eq. 11th – Nick Vlastuin, 44
Eq. 11th – Robbie Tarrant, 44
Eq. 13th – Dylan Grimes, 39
Eq. 13th – Kamdyn McIntosh, 39
15th – Jack Riewoldt, 34
16th – Jack Graham, 32
Eq. 17th – Shane Edwards, 23
Eq. 17th – Maurice Rioli Jr, 23
Eq. 19th – Dustin Martin, 19
Eq. 19th – Noah Cumberland, 19

Maybe getting in someone that has a heap of finals experience and is known for his clean one touch play would help?
There's a video on YouTube showing what the ladder looks like if the close games were reversed. He does 6 points and 10 points. Long story short, we make finals.

That is my expectations of what Bolton, Baker and natural list improvement will bring.

Finals experience definitely has a value.

Cornes makes a valid point.
jackson is supposed to be a generational/unicorn/could be anything player.
Darcy had a known injury record when we did the Big Deal.
Positionally they substantially overlap.
To have only 1 in the Top 10 for 2024, and that 9th, is a very poor return on our massive investment.
Not saying the die is cast.
But if Darcy/Jackson deliver 80% on what we signed them up for in 2025 then we will play a GF with no other list changes whatsoever.
Over to you, lads...
Definitely not a good year for the twosome.

Geelong possibly felt ordinary after they traded 2 X first round picks for Ottens, who then rewarded them with numerous injuries and a Premiership.

It's a while ago, but top end big guys are pretty important.

Wait where's the mentality of Baker and NOD being correlated coming from? They've got nothing to do with each other. We can fit both.
The nature of this clubs supporters

shocked chicken little GIF

*tbf though, historically, the sky HAS fallen.

Wait where's the mentality of Baker and NOD being correlated coming from? They've got nothing to do with each other. We can fit both.

Yeah, dumb.

Oh no! Getting Baker means someone who isn’t as good is ‘forced’ out!!

It’s like people don’t even want to improve our best 22.

I’m also not saying NOD isn’t as good, just the general vibe of getting Baler pushes someone out.

Well no der!

Curtis Taylor from Norths has been delisted. Did I only see his good games?

Curtis Taylor from Norths has been delisted. Did I only see his good games?
Might be getting him mixed up with Paul Curtis? (The good small
Forward)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, dumb.

Oh no! Getting Baker means someone who isn’t as good is ‘forced’ out!!

It’s like people don’t even want to improve our best 22.

I’m also not saying NOD isn’t as good, just the general vibe of getting Baler pushes someone out.

Well no der!

I think people are saying you need to be careful bringing in players who are 16-23 on your list, especially when you have a young list and a number of people could improve and push him out of the 22. (Especially on a long contract)

So for baker, it depends if you rate him 11-16 player on your list, or 17 -23.

I have him in the 11-16 bracket, so I would like to bring him in.

In reality, all players like Baker and Bolton come down to cost (salary and draft capital ) vs output.

Will they improve 22, but are they worth the salary and picks you are giving up?
And the answer to that question, will differ greatly depending on where your list is. I can't see West Coast giving up any picks, while we should be looking to improve our 22 if the price is reasonable.

I think people are saying you need to be careful bringing in players who are 16-23 on your list, especially when you have a young list and a number of people could improve and push him out of the 22. (Especially on a long contract)

So for baker, it depends if you rate him 11-16 player on your list, or 17 -23.

I have him in the 11-16 bracket, so I would like to bring him in.

In reality, all players like Baker and Bolton come down to cost (salary and draft capital ) vs output.

Will they improve 22, but are they worth the salary and picks you are giving up?
And the answer to that question, will differ greatly depending on where your list is. I can't see West Coast giving up any picks, while we should be looking to improve our 22 if the price is reasonable.

We’ll also likely lose Fyfe, Walters and JOM over the next 2 seasons.
A couple more shortly after that.

Baker is the perfect age to oversee the next 5 years to provide support and guidance to our already emerging younger leaders.

If the other youngsters are good enough, they should be forcing their way in anyway.

You need a best 25-30 players these days. Baker comfortably in best 15.

Not saying pisk up Curtis Taylor but sometimes these bottom clubs do cut players that would be much more useful to a middle of the road or even good side.

It's always about giving good youth a go in that situation. Good depth players that are no more than that don't generally last.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back