List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 24 19.8%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 54 44.6%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I simply don't think an OOC Baker is worth anything in the 1st round, especially in this draft.
That is why I think WC are in the box seat with pick 23.

My original proposal that had many say I’m dreaming broke it down to two separate fair trades. Below is a comparison against two similar player trades.

Neale (Contracted), 30 > 6,19,55
Bolton (Contracted), 41 > 9,16

Langdon (OOC), 26 > 22, F2
Baker (OOC), 12, 29 > 10, 27, F2

Jordan Peele Me Time GIF by CBS

That is why I think WC are in the box seat with pick 23.

My original proposal that had many say I’m dreaming broke it down to two separate fair trades. Below is a comparison against two similar player trades.

Neale (Contracted), 30 > 6,19,55
Bolton (Contracted), 41 > 9,16

Langdon (OOC), 26 > 22, F2
Baker (OOC), 12, 29 > 10, 27, F2
Definitely the WC factor will be one of the key drivers of Baker's price. We just need to figure what's close enough to that tradewise and then Liam can decide what he wants to get on board with.

Aren't they putting in trading 2 years in advance...I figured we can trade 2026 and 2027 1st. Otherwise we may need to trade a player to get picks.
I don't think it's enough. You need a current first at least, that gets to insulting levels otherwise

I don't think it's enough. You need a current first at least, that gets to insulting levels otherwise
If it is just Bolton we’re bringing across in 2024 Trade period, we are reportedly shopping around one of our picks for a good F1. So that alone supports what exactly what you’re saying. I agree Swans won’t want 2027 draft picks. They will still be in the mix and that draft will be heavily compromised.

Spoke to someone from Melbourne close to the Switskowski family. Reckons there’s a huge pull to go back to Victoria but equally loves it here. Reckons it’s 50/50 whether he goes back this year but 100% likely that he will eventually.

Hope he stays for 1 more. Not his biggest fan but him, Baker, Bolton and Freddy together would be awesome to see.

If it is just Bolton we’re bringing across in 2024 Trade period, we are reportedly shopping around one of our picks for a good F1. So that alone supports what exactly what you’re saying. I agree Swans won’t want 2027 draft picks. They will still be in the mix and that draft will be heavily compromised.
I really dont want to send a pick into next year if it's just Bolton, I hope we dont do that. I think that's really stupid, or, at the very least, it's just one 1st round pick next year. The more we have, the more is demanded for Warner

For mine, this is a draft to go with later picks if ever there was one because of the depth probably even all the way to pick 40 - I don't know there is much difference in quality between a pick 15 to a pick 30. It is also arguably a year to go majority "Brand WA" because otherwise we have players sitting around with high "go home" factor, and because of said eveness and the fact that it is mainly the Vics who will be up first in the draft, everyone apart from Bo Allan is likely to go later than pick 25, including Hamish Davis and Gayle Gerryn who are still really really good prospects IMO.

So if the offer to lose all of 9,10 and 16 in return for Bolton, a likely decent next year first round (ideally Kangaroos - for being part of a potential Warner trade) and a second rounder around the 25-30 mark (Leaving us with that and the Saints second rounder), I would do it.

But I think there is also a bit a water to go under the bridge before that which further complicates matters; we don't know yet which players want to be traded from the club / the club is willing to let go to other clubs for decent deals. My ears pricked up at the way the club mentioned Cox (My interpretation is that it sounds both we and Cox are open to a trade for the right price to Adelaide or Port) and I am not sure what will happen with Switkowski.

But I think there is also a bit a water to go under the bridge before that which further complicates matters; we don't know yet which players want to be traded from the club / the club is willing to let go to other clubs for decent deals. My ears pricked up at the way the club mentioned Cox (My interpretation is that it sounds both we and Cox are open to a trade for the right price to Adelaide or Port) and I am not sure what will happen with Switkowski.
Don't think the club has mentioned Cox at all

Don't think the club has mentioned Cox at all
Cox was mentioned. The only mention was from Briety who said there had been an enquiry from a club about Cox and the response from Freo was Cox would not be traded.

We all know who that club is and they ask the same question every year. That is Adelaide Crows.

I really dont want to send a pick into next year if it's just Bolton, I hope we dont do that. I think that's really stupid, or, at the very least, it's just one 1st round pick next year. The more we have, the more is demanded for Warner
While I agree with you. Unless WC wants to offer their pick 1-4, having a low pick gets us a fair bit of leverage if he’s out of contract. We can walk him to the draft with a top 10 pick so Sydney have to deal with what we offer. Dawson is an example of this.

The issue with Jackson was WC were in the market to split for him so no contract mattered less. Maybe they are worried the ego maniacs over at WC will try top up with Warner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox was mentioned. The only mention was from Briety who said there had been an enquiry from a club about Cox and the response from Freo was Cox would not be traded.

We all know who that club is and they ask the same question every year. That is Adelaide Crows.
Do you have a link to the interview? Only recent one from Brierty I listened to in full had no mention of him.

It does, but this is where clubs need to be more ruthless.

Here's a very good offer (overs) for your contracted player. This offer won't be here in 12 months' time when he's uncontracted.

If we happen to offer 2 first round picks in the teens in 12 months' time, it is what is, they had their chance.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spoke to someone from Melbourne close to the Switskowski family. Reckons there’s a huge pull to go back to Victoria but equally loves it here. Reckons it’s 50/50 whether he goes back this year but 100% likely that he will eventually.
Only way I'd want to trade Switkowski if is it's to the Demons in a deal for Pickett.

Three or four years is quite a lot IMO.

Let’s say it takes Kelm two years to play a game - he’s 27 by then. Normally you’re thinking about drafting a player to replace a senior player when they’re around 28 or 29 so you can get two to three years development in before the younger player is expected to take over.

A 21/22 year old takes that time and, if things go well, they’ve still got 6-7 years of prime left to make a difference.

As I said I’d hope Kelm is way way better than the other Irish guy otherwise I’d rather allow the extra years to develop into a good footballer.

Btw Gaelic players can only take up one Category B rookie spot so it just makes the list spots argument a little stronger. Category A rookies most of the time are more likely to contribute tbh. Having said that you can upgrade from Category B to Category A so if an Irish player does really well year one or two making them a Category A and bringing in another Irish may help. As I said a few pages back I think it’s likely we make more list changes next year than this year so we might need to get creative with the draftees we do bring in.
Honestly think he can play 25 or start 26 - hes been training with afl ball since we showed an interest precovid

Terrible trade if we give up all three first picks.

Perhaps we don’t get the upgrade of 16.

But in what world is Bolton/Baker combo worth 9,10,16

If that is the direction you think it is heading we need to split pick 9 or 10, because only two of three need to be involved.

9 > 17/18 and 19

10 + 17/18 > Bolton
19 > Baker

We need to get active with other options like Sydney etc. and give Richmond the choice. Baker is out of contract but will help them get a very good deal overall. If just Bolton we will pay overs. But will keep one of the early picks.

In the world where we are buying 400k x 4 years (or similar) of Bolton's salary. Our salary cap will be at breaking point trying to fit in the highly paid guns, and we really need Richmond to pay a large chunk. I'm continually bemused by how many people are seemingly ignoring our salary cap situation when discussing the trade options.

Trading 9, 10, 16 for Bolton + Baker is not ideal, but it is not crazy. It is within the realms of possibility. My preference would be to leave Baker to WC, but I am comfortable with 9+10 for Bolton + salary.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back