List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 24 18.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lohman is literally what Freddy should be doing. Instead, Freddy just cruises around in second gear and puts in a good game every once in a while. So frustrating because he has that potential.
I get where you're coming from and not having a go but I see Freddy as the player who's suffered the most from our inconsistent delivery into the forward line. In my opinion Freddy is often free and then gets the ball kicked over his head or he gets missed by 15 metres with a simple pass. No one benefits more if get more class in our team. I can see Freddy and Sturt being our most improved players next year if either have a good run in the preseason without injuries. Freddys had his last 2 preseasons ruined by injury and Sturt's never had an injury free preseason as far as I can recall.

No still 16. Port finished higher than both these teams.
Interestingly, when the AFL released all the new rule changes for 2024 in February, one of the rule changes was:
  • The in-finals ranking system has been codified to determine the 'home' club for Grand Finals in both the AFL and AFLW. The winners of the Qualifying Finals will be ranked first and second, the losers of the Qualifying Finals ranked third and fourth (the higher of the two clubs on the premiership ladder will be third) and the winners of the Elimination Finals ranked fifth and sixth (the higher of the two clubs on the premiership ladder will be fifth)
After finals week 1 under these rules:
1. Sydney
2. Geelong
3. Port
4. Giants
5. Brisbane
6. Hawks

Under these rules Port's pick would come before Geelong's due to them taking a higher ranking after FW1.

The question is whether this in-finals ranking system also relates to draft picks or not. Realistically it should if they are seeding the teams like this, but knowing the AFL they probably still use the old method

Interestingly, when the AFL released all the new rule changes for 2024 in February, one of the rule changes was:
  • The in-finals ranking system has been codified to determine the 'home' club for Grand Finals in both the AFL and AFLW. The winners of the Qualifying Finals will be ranked first and second, the losers of the Qualifying Finals ranked third and fourth (the higher of the two clubs on the premiership ladder will be third) and the winners of the Elimination Finals ranked fifth and sixth (the higher of the two clubs on the premiership ladder will be fifth)
After finals week 1 under these rules:
1. Sydney
2. Geelong
3. Port
4. Giants
5. Brisbane
6. Hawks

Under these rules Port's pick would come before Geelong's due to them taking a higher ranking after FW1.

The question is whether this in-finals ranking system also relates to draft picks or not. Realistically it should if they are seeding the teams like this, but knowing the AFL they probably still use the old method
Makes sense, but no way they actually changed it.

One was pick 20. The other pick 61.
Hopefully it changes this year but we simply don’t spend enough draft capital in the front half of the ground.
Amiss - pick 8 in 2021
Sturt - pick 17 in 2018

The remainder of our forward line is made up of rookies and late round picks.
Some we have got lucky with like Treacy (who is a star and clearly should have been a first rounder in hindsight).

Others are solid role players but have significant flaws in aspects of their play and were late picks for a reason (Switta and Freddy, picks 73 and 61 respectively). I don’t think either of these two players make the Brisbane B22. They are classic regulars in a mid table side that get pushed out the door as the team improves and moves into a top 6, perennial contender phase.

There’s a former star we got for peanuts (pick 53) in Walters whose best days are most certainly behind him and needs replacing.

Our other forwards consist of guys like Banfield, Emmett, (none of whom were selected with early picks and are not good enough based on exposed form at AFL level), or Delean/simpson (still kids granted, but were just recruited with leftover picks after big trades if we are honest).

In the last decade Sturt and amiss are the only forwards we have taken in the draft inside pick 30.

In the same period, we took a heap of midfielders/wingers:

Weller - 14
Tucker - 27
Brayshaw - 2
Cerra - 5
Serong - 8
Young - 7
Henry - 9
Erasmus -10
Johnson - 21

In defence, we took
Logue - 8
Chapman - 14

I know we have traded in some expensive pieces like Jackson too but we need to focus on the forward half for 2 or 3 years now.
Bolton is a good start (albeit not a cheap one).
  • The midfield is strong on the back of the above draft investment.
  • we hit the jackpot with Treacy in probably the most expensive position on the ground to trade in a gun
  • we need to now finish the job with more elite half forwards and small forwards.

This will allow us to score more heavily when on top and properly bury teams.

Bit random and probably the wrong thread. I don't watch much of the womens team but the way they sing the song is epic. Puts the mens team to shame. Half the time feels like the boys just want it over and done with. Only time they really belt it out with passion is after a big win.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back