List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 73 48.0%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone have any information on Shai's attitude this year. Trying to working out where these rumours are coming from.

I have seen a few comments like this, wonder if there is any truth behind them.

On face value, Rioli isn’t worth pick 6, but if Richmond can’t extract it from the Suns – even giving a later pick back – it will be disappointed, given he is contracted.

Bolton will eventually get to Fremantle, which has picks 9 and 10.

Richmond players believed he ran his own race while he believed the game plan wasn’t clear enough.

So by round 1 next year Adem Yze and new coaching acquisition Blake Caracella will want an absolutely crystal-clear game plan identifiable to all.

Richmond can’t trade Tom Lynch – their forward line would be non-existent without him – and selling memberships might be impossible.

Jack Graham is a chance to stay, but has some interest from South Australia-based clubs given he’s a local and wavering on whether to move to Perth to join a WA team. But in a draft where the No. 1 pick is as open as at any time in the past decade Richmond has so much to do. And has so much at stake.
is he worth both 9 and 10 even considering he is contracted? Ollie Hannaford or berry may have a first year impact like Nick Watson for Hawks Or Rachelle for Crows ?

is he worth both 9 and 10 even considering he is contracted? Ollie Hannaford or berry may have a first year impact like Nick Watson for Hawks Or Rachelle for Crows ?

That is the question. How much is he worth in both salary and draft picks.

My answer would no, but others like him a lot more than I do

Has anyone have any information on Shai's attitude this year. Trying to working out where these rumours are coming from.

I have seen a few comments like this, wonder if there is any truth behind them.

On face value, Rioli isn’t worth pick 6, but if Richmond can’t extract it from the Suns – even giving a later pick back – it will be disappointed, given he is contracted.

Bolton will eventually get to Fremantle, which has picks 9 and 10.

Richmond players believed he ran his own race while he believed the game plan wasn’t clear enough.

So by round 1 next year Adem Yze and new coaching acquisition Blake Caracella will want an absolutely crystal-clear game plan identifiable to all.

Richmond can’t trade Tom Lynch – their forward line would be non-existent without him – and selling memberships might be impossible.

Jack Graham is a chance to stay, but has some interest from South Australia-based clubs given he’s a local and wavering on whether to move to Perth to join a WA team. But in a draft where the No. 1 pick is as open as at any time in the past decade Richmond has so much to do. And has so much at stake.
My take away from that article was we could kick off the Collingwood death ride again.

Pick 16 > F1. Would be a fun ride. Collingwood are desperate to get into the 2024 first round.

Personally I think he is.

Yes I'm a Richmond fan, but I'm not under any illusions.

For example, I'm just glad that Graham is leaving (respectfully to him) and I'd give him away for nothing - the fact that we'll get FA compo is laugable.

Bolton could do with some more discipline at times. He gives away silly frees and 50's which are coach killers. In particular I think he struggles mentally playing in a wooden spoon side. He's not a leader, he's the cream on top. Freo has leaders and a strong core - Bolton could really thrive there.

And on his day he's an absolute jet, a game changer. A bloke who can play midfield, break away from packs, go forward to kick 30-40+ goals/year, take mark of the year or kick goal of the year.

With 9+10 slated to slip at least 2 spots, and the current list/finals push for Freo, would you rather take P10 (12?) to the draft and hope you have a good player in 2-5 years?

My take away from that article was we could kick off the Collingwood death ride again.

Pick 16 > F1. Would be a fun ride. Collingwood are desperate to get into the 2024 first round.
If the pies are desperate to get into this draft we would have to have rocks in our head if we think it's a good idea to trade out of it....right?

Personally I think he is.

Yes I'm a Richmond fan, but I'm not under any illusions.

For example, I'm just glad that Graham is leaving (respectfully to him) and I'd give him away for nothing - the fact that we'll get FA compo is laugable.

Bolton could do with some more discipline at times. He gives away silly frees and 50's which are coach killers. In particular I think he struggles mentally playing in a wooden spoon side. He's not a leader, he's the cream on top. Freo has leaders and a strong core - Bolton could really thrive there.

And on his day he's an absolute jet, a game changer. A bloke who can play midfield, break away from packs, go forward to kick 30-40+ goals/year, take mark of the year or kick goal of the year.

With 9+10 slated to slip at least 2 spots, and the current list/finals push for Freo, would you rather take P10 (12?) to the draft and hope you have a good player in 2-5 years?
I'm big on Bolton, but if the price was 9+10 with nothing back, we should take our chances in the draft.

Bolton potentially filling a big list hole doesn't somehow make him priceless.

If the pies are desperate to get into this draft we would have to have rocks in our head if we think it's a good idea to trade out of it....right?

A lot of clubs want to buy into this draft, if we value Chad Warner higher than the talent in this draft then we can auction our pick.

I'm big on Bolton, but if the price was 9+10 with nothing back, we should take our chances in the draft.

Yep, so with no idea what the Freo TPP situation is like (but I assume reasonably tight due to some big contracts?) I would be offering to pay significant wages to Bolton if I was Richmond as 'something back' coming your way.

If he's on $1mil/year, what if RFC paid half?

Players aren't priceless, but flags are. Freo was top 8 and pushing top 4 most of the year before unfortunately falling away. What if a player like Bolton is the spark they need?

We brought in Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis in 2016 (and removed Deledio) and from a playing list perspective it made all the difference*.

*along with coaching personnel + philosophy changes, support staff etc.

All stuff that you could let slide and get him to work on next pre season if he was an 18 year old, but he’s almost 23.

A shame really. Loved his games last year, especially his last one vs Hawks. I think if he had another year with Schultz on the team it would’ve gone a different way.
plus he is so likeable.
i met his dad at the corner hotel before a game.
salt of the earth bloke, so the apple didn't fall far.
wish him all the luck possible

Absolutely - walking away has to always still be an option - well the other side has to at least believe it’s still an option for us

With regards to the bolded , try telling that to the tigers supporters on here

But as long as walls and co don’t think like that then we should be fine

Yes, Geelong's lack of quality talls really got found out tonight.
Quality?
Still had Cameron who was atrocious.
Neale never got into the game.
Brisbane don’t have quality talls either.
Hipwood is absolutely fraud. He’s only tall and that’s why he gets a game.
Daniher is consistent but may be forced to ruck next week

Yep, so with no idea what the Freo TPP situation is like (but I assume reasonably tight due to some big contracts?) I would be offering to pay significant wages to Bolton if I was Richmond as 'something back' coming your way.

Players aren't priceless, but flags are. Freo was top 8 and pushing top 4 most of the year before unfortunately falling away. What if a player like Bolton is the spark they need?

We brought in Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis in 2016 (and removed Deledio) and from a playing list perspective it made all the difference*.

I have no idea either.

We don't win the flag this year with Bolton. Our biggest problem was a lack of pressure and tactics/composure in 4th quarters.

If Bolton was the equivalent of Messi or Jordan, sure, pay whatever. But getting him wouldn't even make us top 4 favourite next year (at a guess) and rightly so. The trade price should reflect that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you guarantee a flag, then it is a deal :p

If we're not getting him this year the best strategy would be goto the draft. We can use next years and 2026 picks if he is available in 2025.

I think it depends what pick we are talking about and to whom.

Pick #10 to North for their F1 is better for us than using pick #10. I think it opens up Chad Warner for 2024 draft period.

I have no idea either.

We don't win the flag this year with Bolton. Our biggest problem was a lack of pressure and tactics/composure in 4th quarters.

If Bolton was the equivalent of Messi or Jordan, sure, pay whatever. But getting him wouldn't even make us top 4 favourite next year (at a guess) and rightly so. The trade price should reflect that.
Messi & Jordan are arguably the best ever in their sports. so you'd want Bolton to be Stephen Michael level by that metric.

If Richmond players thought Bolton was off doing his own thing this year, then does that decrease his trade value??

I said back at the start of this that the only way they'd even consider trading him is with significant family reasons or a falling out with the coaching. Each carries it's own risk for us.

I said back at the start of this that the only way they'd even consider trading him is with significant family reasons or a falling out with the coaching. Each carries it's own risk for us.
Absolutely it does! The risk is all on the buyer really as well!

But it wouldn't be nothing back. It will be a large chunk of salary. We can't afford him otherwise.

The trade can be thought of as pick 9 for Bolton (which is unders for a contracted superstar player), then buying $1.5 - $2 million of salary cap relief (spread over 4 years) with pick 10.

But it wouldn't be nothing back. It will be a large chunk of salary. We can't afford him otherwise.

The trade can be thought of as pick 9 for Bolton (which is unders for a contracted superstar player), then buying $1.5 - $2 million of salary cap relief (spread over 4 years) with pick 10.

I prefer they pay it up front in one big hit, then we sign Bolton to a longer term deal with that $1.5 to $2m up front and then pay him the other half of his deal over six years. Bolton for nearly free.

Big risk for us would be him requesting a trade elsewhere after front loaded contract year is paid.

Last edited:

I am happy to get salary IF it means we can get another elite player. Otherwise, I'd rather use the pick.

Forgot to add Warners parents own a business called Travs Trees. Didn’t realise tree lopping was a big business in Melbourne. Clearly I’m in the wrong industry.
Ok. Ive got more info I'll keep to myself. Really not phased as I actually want the person Im referencing to be wrong.

By the way Travs Trees is based in Melbourne.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back