Game Day Brownlow Night 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

When we talk about how biased the competition is, one of the biggest factors is that ALL the umpires live in Melbourne. They read the Melbourne papers, they listen to the Melbourne radios, they watch the Melbourne based footy shows.
They are absolutely corrupted by their surroundings.
Never more evident that the Brownlow, where they start awarding votes on the back of the media attention certain players get. It's why players who have a breakthrough year get more votes the year after, once the media narrative has developed.

The Brownlow is a shit award. It's named after a Victorian administrator who has zero relevance to the National Competition. It's awarded by biased and corrupted umpires who have zero clues about who is best on ground and base their votes almost entirely on stats.
I stopped watching and caring about the Brownlow years ago.

Had to laugh seeing the CEO's Mrs let it slip Bont not in the running.

They know who wins, the count is theatre.

Seriously, has the Brownlow lost so much credibility in a single count before?

Never seen such a lack of shame from the umpires
The Brownlow only has relevance by default because it's been around the longest. As far as actual awards go it's prestige should be barely considered because it's the most ridiculous way of determining a winner. If anything it should be considered a more niche, novelty medal that has a long lineage.

The umpires are the biggest marks out there. They fawn over the superstars and quite clearly, rather than awarding votes based on level of impact, sit there with their superstar Brownlow favourite list and go down the list like "Right. Cripps got plenty? Then 3 votes."

The trend of people winning with more and more votes shows that the umpires just shamelessly heap votes on the stars regardless of whether they were the "best" or not. It is simply not arguable, not in the slightest, that Cripps and Daicos just played the 2 best seasons of any player, ever.

I stopped watching years ago. Everything about the night irritates me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Brownlow Night 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back