List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Strachan will be on the list in 2025. We just appointed him Ruck Coach for our AFLW team.

That role can easily be replaced but I don't think we would of done that if we weren't expecting him to be around.

Would the people involved in the women’s footy department who made that decision really have much communication with the men’s list management team?

Would the people involved in the women’s footy department who made that decision really have much communication with the men’s list management team?
Hopefully we've found an ongoing new role for him and recruit a youngster...;)

Tex said on AFL360 that he'd most likely want to play again next year now that he's proved his fitness, and that he's in conversations with Reid and Silvers. My preference is definitely to keep him – he still offers a lot when fit and we're in danger of shedding too many talls this off-season as it is. But he can't be the #1 forward target anymore.
Should put him on the rookie list just for the lolz. It's stupid how clubs can have blokes with 300 games to their name listed as rookies.

Rookie list him.
I'm not totally against the idea, particularly if he turns out to show promise as a defender (where he shows none as a forward). If his trial as a SANFL defender fails, then there's little point in keeping him around, even on the rookie list.

Even a rookie list position has value - particularly in a draft as deep as the 2024 draft class is (apparently) shaping up to be.

The men's coaches don't have much communication with the men's list management team

Have Milera, Crouch and Pedlar been "replaced" by any of the newer guys this year? Do we have room for them now?
Milera is absolutely part of our best 22 when fit.

Crouch probably is depending on if there's a better inside mid available; we need to stop playing multiple 'restricted mids' - the new breed (Warner, Serong etc.) get the ball, spread fast and dispose well. Crouch (and Laird) just do the first. Berry only tackles, doesn't do much involving the actual ball or playing on the opposition. Only 1 of those 3 can play mid and if we're going deep into finals, maybe none of them.

Pedlar is a big question mark. His grace period of being a high draft pick is well and truly over. If he can't a) get his body right b) find more of the ball c) get his disposal somewhere approaching professional level - then we need to move on, or at least move him to the rookie list.

On a positive note. The side that played Saturday - round 1 next year we might be hoping the following list of players are in that team

Rankine
Worrell
Hinge
Milera
Crouch
Pedlar
Curtin
Ryan
Draper
Welsh
Cumming

Which would make our bottom depth (34-40 player)

Jones
Schoenberg
McHenry
Borlase
Hamill
Strachan

Obviously we assume a couple of players will leave but highlights we may actually have some proper depth developing with the squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I would be extremely surprised if Welsh played rd. 1 next year. Or really much for his first couple of seasons.

Milera is absolutely part of our best 22 when fit.

Crouch probably is depending on if there's a better inside mid available; we need to stop playing multiple 'restricted mids' - the new breed (Warner, Serong etc.) get the ball, spread fast and dispose well. Crouch (and Laird) just do the first. Berry only tackles, doesn't do much involving the actual ball or playing on the opposition. Only 1 of those 3 can play mid and if we're going deep into finals, maybe none of them.

Pedlar is a big question mark. His grace period of being a high draft pick is well and truly over. If he can't a) get his body right b) find more of the ball c) get his disposal somewhere approaching professional level - then we need to move on, or at least move him to the rookie list.

It’s not a grace period based on his draft pick. It’s based on his injury history.

He has had ONE season where he got a good run at it. In that season he was super impressive and a very valuable contributor.

If he can keep his body right for long enough he will be a good player and we need to persist with him.

It’s not a grace period based on his draft pick. It’s based on his injury history.

He has had ONE season where he got a good run at it. In that season he was super impressive and a very valuable contributor.

If he can keep his body right for long enough he will be a good player and we need to persist with him.
I agree with your premise but does he need to come through the SANFL or wil pre-season form be enough?

They wouldn't but the coaching panel would of been signed off by the CEO and others.

Like I said I don't think it makes it a certainty but I think it makes it less likely he will be delisted during the AFLW season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still has us in the mix for both Cummings and Perryman....
The talk was that Port and another Vic club were leading the race for Perryman now which is annoying, I rate the bloke highly. Might be a tad injury prone, but he excels in any position you put him in, whether thats lockdown small defender, HBF, wing, inside mid, even HF where he was leading the Coleman at one stage after like 5 rounds a couple of years back. Bloke is a genuine utility with great disposal, would be a very valuable player imo.

Cumming I also rate and would be a nice upgrade on Smith and could even push to a wing, but he's even more injury prone than Pez.

I remember Bris stole Brandon Ryan from the Hawks last year after just half a season on the list - could we do the same to the Lions and steal Luke Beecken?

Still think his run and carry would fill a need, looks to be performing well in the VFL too

That Henry Smith fella seems to be going alright to as a Forward/Ruck. Wonder if he could fill out, or is up to playing a sa full time ruck?

If we bin Strach (which we need to) then he might be an okay option given hes already got a couple years development in him

I'm not totally against the idea, particularly if he turns out to show promise as a defender (where he shows none as a forward). If his trial as a SANFL defender fails, then there's little point in keeping him around, even on the rookie list.

Even a rookie list position has value - particularly in a draft as deep as the 2024 draft class is (apparently) shaping up to be.
I wouldn't be against paying him out if still has a year on his contract if we think we can draft a better rookie option.

I think we have the idea of a ruckman's job all wrong. It's about everything except tap ruck work in my opinion ... I would be interested to see our results at ball-ups with EH compared to RO.
For me its at least halving the contests in the ball up

But more importantly - and I admit this is throwback thinking (but still valid) - they must impact around the ground with marks or spoils to our own players

EH isnt called cement hands for nothing

I think we have the idea of a ruckman's job all wrong. It's about everything except tap ruck work in my opinion ... I would be interested to see our results at ball-ups with EH compared to RO.
It's difficult to make valid comparisons, given that ROB normally rucks against the opposition's main ruckman, while EH (and the other support acts) rucks against their support ruck. Some teams have decent 2nd rucks, but many do not bother (e.g. St Kilda last weekend).

I can't remember who was rucking against EH, though I do remember that they were a LOT shorter than Berg. It may have been Mitch Owens, who had 2 HO and was the only St Kilda player other than Marshall to have won a HO. Owens is only 191 cm, compared to Berg's 196 cm.

In comparison, both ROB & Marshall are listed at 201 cm, so it was no great surprise that their ruck contests were split fairly evenly (51-48 in ROB's favour).

Between them, Walker, Berg & TT won 11 hitouts between them, to Owen's 2.

He was forced to play directly on Fog most of the time a couple of weeks ago and didn't look like he had a chance of stopping Fog in any of their 1-1 contests. Didn't even touch the ball in the first half.
No arguments from me, his kicking was diabolical as junior.

We’ve quickly forgotten how good Pedlar looked in 2023.

This year he had his face smashed in in round one, was idiotically played on Stewart in round two, and has had two major layoffs with his shoulder. We need to persist.

The kid is a lock when fit - not a case of persistence. Assuming he gets his body right and has some luck he will be a gun

Kicked multiple goals in 9 games last year in his first full run at it

The loss of Pedlar, Thilthorpe, McAdam and also Walker doing his back early on undoubtedly blunted our potent forward line from last year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back