Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still not convinced this is right. I think the score we actually saw just corresponds to how many judges gave her opponent more points than her. I was watching some other matches and it just looks like the "score" is just a bunch of boxes that go one colour or another. I.e. did each judge score the competitor in red higher, or the competitor in blue higher.

Let's say we're in a one-on-one diving competition with ten judges. I do my dive and every single judge gives me 7.5. You do your dive and every single judge gives you 8.0. Then the final score is 0-10. That doesn't mean I was garbage... just that all ten judges thought you were better than me.
Yep. It is actually 9 judges, who each give 1 point to who they think is the winner of the round. Similar to boxing, where 5 judges vote on each round.

If that's true about the husband being the coach and the judge to put her through plus they run break dance Australia together as husband and wife then that is one hellava con job.
It certainly would be.

Though apparently it's not true.

Also interesting quote from a news article:

""And leading up to that, there were a lot of other events in which breakers were competing.

"She won those battles fair and square and won the qualification in Sydney.

"And it wasn't really a surprise to anyone.

"She's been fairly consistent, winning or coming second or third at a lot of breaking events in Australia for the last five to 10 years."

It certainly would be.

Though apparently it's not true.

Also interesting quote from a news article:

""And leading up to that, there were a lot of other events in which breakers were competing.

"She won those battles fair and square and won the qualification in Sydney.

"And it wasn't really a surprise to anyone.

"She's been fairly consistent, winning or coming second or third at a lot of breaking events in Australia for the last five to 10 years."

She admitted to not doing the technical because she wasnt close to the athletic ability required at Olympic level. So she did original. Thats why she got Zero. The judges couldnt judge her because she didnt do the technical. It would be like an Olympic Diver doing bombs for the biggest splash. Its deliberate but its not what the technical are looking for. Thats where she failed. If you are going to criticise it, the question has to be asked, why she didnt forfeit her spot so a more athletic dancer who could do the technical at Olympic level.

I didnt watch it and I dont know the rules, but Ive also read the judges didnt get the scoring entirely correct. She should have got some points. But who knows, ultimately I dont care. But its not as funny as some people made out. Time to move on.

She admitted to not doing the technical because she wasnt close to the athletic ability required at Olympic level. So she did original. Thats why she got Zero. The judges couldnt judge her because she didnt do the technical. It would be like an Olympic Diver doing bombs for the biggest splash. Its deliberate but its not what the technical are looking for. Thats where she failed. If you are going to criticise it, the question has to be asked, why she didnt forfeit her spot so a more athletic dancer who could do the technical at Olympic level.

I didnt watch it and I dont know the rules, but Ive also read the judges didnt get the scoring entirely correct. She should have got some points. But who knows, ultimately I dont care. But its not as funny as some people made out. Time to move on.
This has been addressed a number of times already. There is no "score" for Breaking. Or more precisely, you only get relative scores. Across each category the judges say you are a certain percentage better or worse than your opponent. Then they tally it up and decide on an overall winner. Each judge does this separately. In her case every judge agreed she was the lesser competitor.

She was judged to be better than her opponents in some categories by some judges, but not overall.

There is not a separate technical dance and an original dance. It's all one dance, which is judged across several categories. She is saying she wouldn't be competitive with the other dances on pure technical skill, so she decided to lean on originality in her dances instead. And she often did get judged to be the better dancer in that category... just not overall.

This has been addressed a number of times already. There is no "score" for Breaking. Or more precisely, you only get relative scores. Across each category the judges say you are a certain percentage better or worse than your opponent. Then they tally it up and decide on an overall winner. Each judge does this separately. In her case every judge agreed she was the lesser competitor.

She was judged to be better than her opponents in some categories by some judges, but not overall.

There is not a separate technical dance and an original dance. It's all one dance, which is judged across several categories. She is saying she wouldn't be competitive with the other dances on pure technical skill, so she decided to lean on originality in her dances instead. And she often did get judged to be the better dancer in that category... just not overall.

Well you have done way more research than me. Im only going of headlines. Ultimately I dont care. But she did say couldnt do the athletic stuff because she was too old compared to her opponents. That admission suggests she should have never gone to the Olympics.

Well you have done way more research than me. Im only going of headlines. Ultimately I dont care. But she did say couldnt do the athletic stuff because she was too old compared to her opponents. That admission suggests she should have never gone to the Olympics.
Is going to the Olympics not seen as very "rock and roll" for the true breakdancers?

Would it be considered selling out of sorts?

Would seem like it’s hard for someone to get a perfect score if they are judging on some criteria that she did better in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow our medalist Richardson is going to live in Britain and ride for them. Was born there and moved here when he was 9.

There was something off about him, nice that we’ve developed him, pumped a shit load of money into him, he makes it and now switches. ****wit
What sport?

Would seem like it’s hard for someone to get a perfect score if they are judging on some criteria that she did better in?
They didn't get a perfect score. There is no score.

What happened is there were 9 judges and 2 rounds. Each judge agreed her opponent was better overall in both rounds. So the final tally was 18-0. That doesn't mean she got a "score" of 0. It just means that 0 judges thought she was better than her opponent overall in either round.

You can see the breakdown here for one of her bouts if you like.

Pushing the + symbol gives you the judge-by-judge breakdown over each category. It's a relative score, i.e. in each category they say that one competitor was a certain percentage better than the other. She got soundly beaten, certainly, but it wasn't a complete walkover. One judge thought she was only 5% behind her opponent.

Last edited:
^ should strip him of his medals
They’re his medals, he should keep them.

But

It’s a welcome reminder that the whole nationalist Aussie Aussie thing is paper thin. 90% of athletes are doing it 90% for themselves, not the country. That’s as it should be.

Flip side is minimal public funding tho, for any of them.

Wow our medalist Richardson is going to live in Britain and ride for them. Was born there and moved here when he was 9.

There was something off about him, nice that we’ve developed him, pumped a shit load of money into him, he makes it and now switches. ****wit

At least we got a few medals out of him before he left.

Should have to pay back all the money he took for his training now he will be using that training representing another country.

Don't let the prick back into Australia until he settles up.

Australian medallist Matthew Richardson has revealed he was "sneaking off to have meetings" about switching allegiances as early as February.

Fresh off winning a silver medal at Paris 2024 for Australia, track sprinter Richardson on Monday announced he'll ditch the green and gold and join Great Britain.

The 25-year-old was born in England and will compete for Great Britain at all future international events, AusCycling confirmed.

Shortly after the news broke Down Under, an interview appeared in the UK Telegraph in which Richardson revealed details that are sure to have Aussies a little hot under the collar.

"I was out in Hong Kong with Australia but sneaking off to have a little secret meeting, and then going back," Richardson said.

"It was the only way I could do it.

"I had to keep it that way, in case of possible deselection or anything like that.

"I expect some people to be unhappy or disappointed or sad or frustrated or whatever the emotion is. It's understandable. But I'll try and keep everything as positive as possible. Otherwise it will kind of eat away at me a little bit."

A statement from the sporting body confirmed Richardson had previously applied to change nationality which was recently approved by the Union Cycliste Internationale.

Richardson described the decision as "difficult" when announcing his big call.

"It was a personal choice, made after careful consideration of my career and future. It's not something I decided on quickly or easily," he said on social media.

"I deeply respect Australia and the Australian Cycling Team, and it will always be a part of who I am. As this new chapter in my life begins, I would like to sincerely thank the coaches and support staff who have worked with me over many years in Australia.

"Special mention to Midland Cycle Club, WAIS and AusCycling, with personal thanks to the two biggest coaching influences in my career — Clay Worthington and Matt Crampton. I want to say a huge thank you to my teammates for everything we've been through together. You've been there for the highs and the lows, and I'm so grateful for all the support, laughter, and hard work we've shared.

"I hope you can understand and support me as I continue to give my best in the sport I love."

W:anchor:

Remove this Banner Ad

Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back