MRP / Trib. 2024 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

We saw with Fogarty, he went to dislodge the ball with a punch motion that started during his leap and came out wrong and got a week. The Tobey argument is that when he launched his hands/arms were never going for a mark or punch he pretty much went the tuck in which to me indicates his intention was to collide and hip and shoulder Boyd. A poorly executed hip and shoulder is on the onus of the deliverer.
Did you agree with the Fogarty decision at the time? (I thought he shouldn't have been sighted as it was a genuine football action)

Did you agree with the Fogarty decision at the time? (I thought he shouldn't have been sighted as it was a genuine football action)
I think if he didn't get injured we would've taken it to the tribunal and lowered it to a fine as Fogarty's contact came from hitting the ball, to the shoulder and slid to the neck. Fogarty's intent clearly was to go the ball unlike what I believe Toby was doing.

I think if he didn't get injured we would've taken it to the tribunal and lowered it to a fine as Fogarty's contact came from hitting the ball, to the shoulder and slid to the neck. Fogarty's intent clearly was to go the ball unlike what I believe Toby was doing.
I didnt think Fogarty's was a suspension, and I feel the same way about Greene's. Both seem to be football actions, and whilst Toby does turn, he launched with eyes on the ball. Given the ruling on Fog, then 1 week seems right for Toby.

I didnt think Fogarty's was a suspension, and I feel the same way about Greene's. Both seem to be football actions, and whilst Toby does turn, he launched with eyes on the ball. Given the ruling on Fog, then 1 week seems right for Toby.
I too can launch for a ball with my eyes on it knowing I'm not gonna get close knowing all I'm doing is making my opponent earn it. Toby's a sniper. That was all he was doing in that act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Toby's intent was to hurt by the way he stuck that leg out and turned.

How any player gets off with a whack above the shoulders, off the ball, is perplexing in the modern era
Agreed. Shouldn't matter the force and shouldn't matter if it glances off the other guys arm as you intended to get the chest.
A strike is a strike. Off ball is worse. There's a difference between a bit of push and shove and an actual whack.

Agree on Fog's. He was going for a genuine spoil. Timed it wrong and came in on an awkward angle.

Toby's is a little more grey. Yes, he was originally contesting the ball, but after he launched and possibly realised he wasn't getting there first, he pulled out and turned sideways. Not sure what else he could've done, hence the grey area.
Perhaps he just needed to continue to contest the ball. Impossible to know if contesting, or pulling out ends up being worse for Boyd.
I think the lesson here is that if your initial intention is to play the ball, then you have to follow through with that intention, regardless.

Did he spill his drink?

GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

How he only received one week is beyond belief. Did not go for the ball. End of Discussion.

I'll add - anyone that has played the game would know, that if he had time to change his position before body contact - he had time to adjust for a different end result. He wanted to bump in the end!!!!
Unlike Fog, Green never raises his arms at launch or during flight towards the ball, his intent was a collision, maybe to put Boyd off or make him drop it. But if you intend to collide in that instance you've gone for a hip and shoulder and as per the rules you hit the head you're getting a week+.

Well there is the walk back by the AFL from a very clear statement preseason.

Any strike to the head, off the ball will be treated with a suspension.

Geez, they are a s**t show!!!

And yes if a carlton player had done it, i wouldn't be happy about the negligible contact but a week for stupidity is fair. Off the ball strikes are easily sanctioned!!!

Agree on Fog's. He was going for a genuine spoil. Timed it wrong and came in on an awkward angle.

Toby's is a little more grey. Yes, he was originally contesting the ball, but after he launched and possibly realised he wasn't getting there first, he pulled out and turned sideways. Not sure what else he could've done, hence the grey area.
Perhaps he just needed to continue to contest the ball. Impossible to know if contesting, or pulling out ends up being worse for Boyd.
I think the lesson here is that if your initial intention is to play the ball, then you have to follow through with that intention, regardless.
Maybe he thought about contesting when he started running, but that was over before he took off. Made no effort to make a play on the ball.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back