List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

I now view you as someone with a fetish for speech impediments.

Stumpf - Don't shake hands with him. Spit will come out of his mouth and hit you when he introduces himself. He would have had to wear 3 masks during covid.
Cannot believe you've outed me like this.

Thankfully, little Stumpfy was only 14-15 for the more intense periods of the pandemic.

Brisbane have picks #42 and #43 in the draft... So we could trade our three picks in the 50s for pick #43, and it would be like trading for pick #42, because #42 will cease to exist after their bid matches.

Would increase their points by 280, which is probably good enough to get a deal done. We could target #34, but I think they'd need a bigger points increase to be happy with a trade for that pick - Our picks are only worth around 80 points more than #34.
I think we'll keep our picks, we won't just pick 1 player. I will be 2 or 3.

I just want, for once, for Collingwood to DESPERATELY need more half back flankers and small forwards. I assume, if you put enough resources into drafting big bodied clearance midfielders and key position players, that eventually we will run out of the enormous excess of half back flankers and small forwards that we always have... But I just want to know what that feels like.

If we try being fully stocked with KPPs and big bodied midfielders on our list, and we find that we absolutely hate it, then sure, happy to go back to nothing but flankers, but until we've given it a go at least once, I really feel like we can't write it off as something we don't like.
I assume that you are being tongue-in-cheek with your previous comments. OK. I do not think that in the foreseeable future that we will EVER be over-stocked with key position players and/or big-bodied mid-fielders. C'est la vie.

I think we'll keep our picks, we won't just pick 1 player. I will be 2 or 3.
We'll pick the same amount of players no matter what we do with those three picks in the 50s.

You can't "run out" of picks, you'll just pick more at the end of the draft when teams are already passing... Which will basically be happening by the late 50s or 60s anyway.

There's been between 59 and 65 picks used in each of the last 5 drafts, so even if we traded our picks in the 50s to get one pick in the low 40s, and then our last two picks became the last two in the draft, they'd be picks 64 & 65 anyway.

I think the trade-off is worth it. At the latter part of the draft like that, most teams' draft boards have diverged so much that they don't rate the same players anyway, so it doesn't really matter whether you pick at 50 or 80.

I don’t really rate too many on that list, or at least would have other names in there.

However, there is two off that list from down my way and I’ve seen a fair bit of who I didn’t mention and could also be a nice fit:

Xavier Ivisic - Collingwood six footer who cuts up opposition with speed and foot skills. Has acceleration and likes to take the game on. Could be a great future wing or flank option mostly but a real xfactor player when given time in the middle.

(Sorry no clips of Xavier - but he’s No13 if you can be bothered watching the whole game)

Lachie Jaques - Captaincy material? Lachie plays in a similar mould to players like Callum Mills and Nick Vlastuin down back. Intercepts the ball, particularly as third man up and provides a lot of drive with precise ball movement mainly by foot.

Plus a Smokey:

Ollie Warburton - Run and carry, link up and run some more. I definitely can see the comparison to Chad Warner. Like Chad he’s not the biggest body out there, but makes up for it by never really being caught flat footed. He would really suit out game style.

Overall assuming our picks stay the same my short list of the guys I’ve put up in sort of preferential order would be:

Non keys:
Lachie Jaques
Zane Cochrane
Xavier Ivisic
Ollie Warburton
Zak Johnson
Luke Urquhart

Keys:
Tom Simms
Gabriel Stumpf
Jonty Faull

Not sure how many list spots we have, but I’d love to take Quaynor and Kerr as rookie selections too. As much as I’d like the brothers to play together I’d be prioritising Kerr.

I’m sure like most years my opinion doesn’t match the recruiters and some of these blokes will go undrafted.

I can't remember who Cal and Riley interviewed but they asked a top 20 prospect who is flying under the radar and they said Lachie Jacques. That he has all the tools to make it at the top level. I really like how he plays, maybe he can play mid?

Missed this initially, but sounds like a ripping kid.

To be invited to the national combine itself shows there’s a fair bit of interest from clubs.

I can't remember who Cal and Riley interviewed but they asked a top 20 prospect who is flying under the radar and they said Lachie Jacques. That he has all the tools to make it at the top level. I really like how he plays, maybe he can play mid?

I think so. As I said I can see a lot of Callum Mills in the way he plays. Not quick but has composure under pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't add the academy linked players.

Noah Mraz

Noah Mraz

Defender
Many have gone ahead of the injured Mraz through no fault of his own, and he could prove to be a serious steal.
Club Dandenong Stingrays/Narre North Foxes
State VIC
Height 198cm
DOB 20/02/2006
Intercepting
Vertical Leap
1 on 1 Defending
Kicking
Hide

Looming as a possible first-round prospect earlier in the year, Mraz has seen others rise ahead of him through no fault of his own. After playing with the injury in his first three games - two for the Stingrays and one for the AFL Academy - the athletic key defender was sidelined for the rest of the season after a crack in his foot was discovered. He still managed to take three intercept marks in both matches for Dandenong. While he wasn’t out there, Mraz didn’t miss a game or training all year and showed his determination by getting back for the draft combine. Remarkably, Mraz only started running four weeks before the combine but still managed to record a strong 2km time trial time for a player his size, also showing his spring with the ninth best running vertical jump. The Collingwood fan spent a week with the Magpies during the off-season and models his game on captain Darcy Moore, who he shares some similarities with as a tall defender who reads the play well and uses it with precision. The Narre North product also prides himself on his competitiveness.

2024 Coates Talent League 99 ranking points, 19.5 disposals, 6.0 intercepts, 3.5 spoils, 2.5 intercept marks (2 games)

Jack Ough

Jack Ough

Defender, Midfielder
Ough caught the eye in defence and on a wing before showing he has the potential to become a tall midfielder.
Club GWV Rebels/East Point
State VIC
Height 194cm
DOB 15/12/2006
Endurance
Versatility
Overhead Marking
Clean Hands

Ough has played all over the ground this season but it was his late season move into the engine room that brought the most excitement. Standing 194cm, Ough showed his ability to win the ball in tight and get it out to runners on the outside with his work in traffic and ball-winning. The East Point prospect's best game in that role came in the Rebels’ final against the Geelong Falcons where he amassed 33 disposals, 20 contested possessions, nine clearances and 189 SuperCoach points, before following it up with 22 touches, 12 contested possessions and seven clearances in their win over Oakleigh the following week. Prior to that, Ough had impressed on a wing and off half back at both Vic Country and Coates Talent League level, where his workrate and overhead marking stood out. He highlighted his outside traits with 21 disposals and six marks against Western Australia at the national carnival as a wingman. His height and versatility makes him an attractive proposition for clubs and his potential to become an inside midfielder gives him considerable upside.

2024 Coates Talent League 112 ranking points, 22.5 disposals, 12.8 uncontested possessions, 4.8 score invovements, 4.5 marks, 3.8 tackles, (16 games) 2024 National Champs 69 ranking points, 13.5 disposals, 10.3 uncontested possessions, 4.5 marks (4 games)

James Barrat

James Barrat

Defender, Forward
A versatile swingman who has shown dominant form at both ends with his strong overhead marking and courage int he air.
Club Bendigo Pioneers/Letchville Gunbower
State VIC
Height 194cm
DOB 23/11/2006
Intercepting
Versatility
Overhead Marking
Vertical Leap

Barrat started the Coates Talent League season strongly with 18 goals in his first six games up forward and he has shown he is even better down back. The 194cm swingman was an intercept force after being shifted into defence for the Pioneers, averaging 11.6 intercept possessions and a formidable 6.2 intercept marks in seven matches in the role. That included nine intercept marks against Dandenong in round 12 and in their loss to Murray in round 19. Barrat was able to display his intercepting ability in the biggest game of the national champs, taking four marks from the opposition against Vic Metro. Barrat has vice-like hands overhead, is courageous in the air and is able to consistently come off his man and intercept with his excellent reading of the play. He highlighted his defensive attributes in his VFL debut for Essendon in round 18 with seven spoils and two intercept marks. Barrat underlined his serious upside at both ends in his final game of the season, finishing with 25 disposals, 13 contested possessions, seven intercepts, 125 SuperCoach points and two goals - one of those a long launch from outside 50. He doesn’t turn 18 until the Saturday after the draft, meaning he has more scope for growth than most.

2024 Coates Talent League 114 ranking points, 16.5 disposals, 7.2 marks, 6.5 intercepts, 5.0 score involvements, 3.5 intercept marks, 2.1 contested marks, 1.7 goals (13 games) 2024 National Champs 60 ranking points, 9.3 disposals, 5.0 marks, 4.3 intercepts, 2.0 intercept marks, 0.7 goals (3 games) 2024 VFL 54 ranking points, 10 disposals, 7 spoils, 5 marks, 3 intercepts, 2 intercept marks (1 game)

Harry O'Farrell

Harry O'Farrell

Defender
A highly-touted prospect coming into the year, injuries might mean this athletic tall falls down the draft order a little.
Club Calder Cannons/Maribyrnong Park
State VIC
Height 197cm
DOB 03/05/06
Intercepting
Overhead Marking
Vertical Leap
1 on 1 Defending

It wasn’t the year that O’Farrell would have hoped to have had. Injuries heavily restricted the athletic key defender, who had entered season as the leading key position prospect in the draft in some people’s eyes. O’Farrell reads the play well, has a nice leap, possesses a good set of hands overhead and is capable of taking plenty of intercept marks. He impressed in a key defensive post in the first AFL Academy game against Coburg’s VFL side in April. However, he missed the second AFL Academy match with a calf complaint and suffered an ankle injury in Vic Metro’s second game of the under-18 national championships to be sidelined for the final two matches of the tournament. O’Farrell did produce some good school football performances with St Kevin’s earlier in the year, including one match where he logged nine intercept marks. But he was only seen in four games for the Cannons in the Coates Talent League, returning from injury for a round 18 clash against Dandenong. O’Farrell was swung forward in that match and kicked 2.4 from 10 disposals and four marks, showing some versatility. He looks up to Greater Western Sydney’s Harry Himmelberg, who has also shown abilities at both ends of the ground at AFL level.

2024 Coates Talent League 70.5 ranking points, 11.3 disposals, 3.8 marks, 1.3 intercept marks, 3.8 intercept possessions, 3.3 rebound 50s, 2.5 spoils (4 games) 2024 National Champs 20 ranking points, 4 disposals, 1.5 marks, 1.0 intercept marks, 2 intercept possessions, 0.5 rebound 50s, 2.5 spoils (2 games)

Kayle Gerreyn

Kayle Gerreyn

Forward, Ruck
This son of a former Hawthorn forward can make an impact in attack or when playing in the ruck.
Club West Perth/Joondalup Kinross
State WA
Height 199cm
DOB 10/05/2006
Versatility
Overhead Marking
Kicking
Mobility

A late-developing tall, Gerreyn came into his own this season. His height means he looks like being better suited to a forward-ruck role at AFL level rather than a ruck-forward role. However, he showed plenty in both positions during his top-age campaign. A unique talent, Gerreyn is a good tap ruckman who also follows up his work well around the contest once the ball hits the ground. He’s capable of taking a nice contested mark and he can hit the scoreboard in multiple ways when in attack. Gerreyn had some monster games in the WAFL Colts when playing primarily as a ruckman, recording over 200 ranking points in four different matches. But when playing for his state during the under-18 national championships, he split his time between ruck and forward roles. Gerreyn’s best game of the tournament came against South Australia, when he logged 14 disposals, three marks, eight hitouts, three clearances and kicked three goals. Gerreyn’s father, Chris, was also a forward who was drafted to Hawthorn in 1992 but did not play a senior game.

2024 WAFL Colts 170 ranking points, 21.5 disposals, 6.2 marks, 22 hitouts, 3.7 clearances, 7.8 score involvements, 1.6 goals (11 games) 2024 WAFL Seniors. 52 ranking points, 7 disposals, 2.5 marks, 5 hitouts, 1.0 clearances, 2.5 score involvements, 1.0 goals (2 games) 2024 National Champs . 80 ranking points, 12.5 disposals, 3.8 marks, 9 hitouts, 1.5 clearances, 6.5 score involvements, 1.3 goals (4 games)

Tom Sims

Tom Sims

Forward, Ruck
An exciting prospect, this athletic tall is a great size to be a modern-day key forward and can provide back-up in the ruck.
Club Northern Knights/Montmorency
State VIC
Height 199cm
DOB 12/05/2006
Vertical Leap
Overhead Marking
Versatility
Scoreboard Impact

A big key forward who has shown potential to match his size, Sims burst onto the scene this season when he played a starring role for the Northern Knights in the opening round of the Coates Talent League. He logged 14 disposals, seven marks and kicked five goals that day to announce himself. Five games later against the Oakleigh Chargers, Sims had another monster outing as he kicked 7.4 from 15 disposals and 10 marks (four contested). He played all four games for Vic Metro at the under-18 national championships and kicked three goals from eight disposals in his best performance against Western Australia. Sims had some ‘almost’ moments in his other games, including missing three kickable set shots in the final match against Vic Country. A player with great presence, he attacks the ball in the air, has a huge leap and boasts vice-like hands to pluck a mark. His ability to be a strong back-up ruckman is also another string to his bow, which he showed while playing for the Knights at the back-end of the year. Sims recorded top-10 results in both the agility and running vertical jump tests at the national draft combine in October.

2023 Coates Talent League 103 ranking points, 11.5 disposals, 4.2 marks, 1.1 contested marks, 6 score involvements, 2.5 tackles, 1.5 goals (15 games) 2024 National Champs 62 ranking points, 8.5 disposals, 4.5 marks, 1.3 contested marks, 5.3 score involvements, 0.5 tackles, 1.0 goals (4 games)

Charlie Nicholls

Charlie Nicholls

Forward, Defender
A marking tall who can run all day, Nicholls showed that he can get it done at both ends of the ground this year.
Club Central District/Mintaro Manoora
State SA
Height 197cm
DOB 08/06/2006
Overhead Marking
Versatility
Endurance
Footy IQ

An athletic and strong-marking tall, Nicholls started the year in fine goalkicking form in the SANFL under-18s and only elevated himself as the year progressed. He’s an elite runner and has a high footy IQ, but his biggest strength is his contested marking. In South Australia’s second match of the under-18 national championships against Vic Country, Nicholls logged 11 disposals and nine marks (four contested) in a stellar display, but couldn’t finish off his good work as he kicked an inaccurate 1.3. Some clubs wanted to see what he looked like as a key defender for South Australia’s final match of the tournament against Vic Metro and Nicolls also performed well there, logging 10 disposals and taking six marks (four intercepts). He spent some further time in defence late in the year with Central Districts’ under-18s, grabbing five intercept marks in a round 18 match against Glenelg. Nicholls – who has drawn comparisons to Geelong’s Jeremy Cameron – also played some SANFL reserves football this year, but finished his campaign in the under-18s as Central District suffered a four-point Grand Final loss to Woodville-West Torrens. He showed his speed during testing at the national draft combine in October, placing eighth in the 20m sprint.

2024 SANFL U18s 121 ranking points, 15 disposals, 7.5 marks, 2.5 contested marks, 7.3 score involvements, 1.8 score assists, 2 goals (11 games) 2024 National Champs 61 ranking points, 9 disposals, 6.5 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 score involvements, 0.5 score assists, 0.5 goals (4 games) 2024 SANFL Reserves 53 ranking points, 9.3 disposals, 4 marks, 2 contested marks, 2.7 score involvements, 1.0 score assists, 0.7 goals (3 games)

Floyd Burmeister

Floyd Burmeister

Ruck, Forward
A former competitive high jumper, Burmeister does things that few 199cm prospects can.
Club GWV Rebels/Redan
State VIC
Height 199cm
DOB 4/5/2006
X Factor
Endurance
Vertical Leap
Versatility

A ruck-forward who can snap goals in a flash, soccer them off the deck or launch long bombs from 50m on the run? Burmeister certainly has some unique traits, which should come as no surprise given his high jump and athletics background - even boasting his own World Athletics profile. The Redan product has produced modest numbers this year for the Rebels and Vic Country, but his athleticism and ability to do what other talls can’t is exciting. He showcased some of those attributes on Coates Talent League Grand Final day when he kicked two goals and having some nice moments. A big vertical leap is commonplace for ruckman and Burmeister has that in spades, finishing third in the standing vertical jump and sixth in the running vertical jump at the national draft combine. He has shown an ability to follow up at stoppages and is competitive, even getting into the thick of a melee during Vic Country’s clash with Vic Metro.

2024 Coates Talent League 75 ranking points, 10.2 disposals, 8.4 hitouts, 2.1 hitouts to advantage, 0.9 goals (15 games) 2024 National Champs 44 ranking points, 13.5 hit-outs, 5.5 disposals, 3.8 hit-outs to advantage (4 games)

Clancy Dennis

Clancy Dennis

Defender
The All-Australian centre-half-back from the national championships can get the job done down back in multiple ways.
Club Claremont/Mosman Park
State WA
Height 195cm
DOB 28/12/2006
1 on 1 Defending
Intercepting
Overhead Marking
Mobility

A promising tall defender who can contain dangerous key forwards, Dennis was named at centre-half back in the All-Australian team after a strong under-18 national championships campaign for Western Australia in the middle of the year. He finished as the tournament’s No.1 player for intercept marks, averaging 2.3 a game along with 11.3 disposals and 2.3 spoils. Dennis was his state’s best player in its final match against Vic Country, recording 14 disposals, five marks (four intercepts) and two spoils that day. He is an ultra-competitive type who is rarely beaten one-on-one and has good composure with ball in hand. Dennis played a key role in helping Claremont’s Colts side secure the premiership in the WAFL in September, logging 14 disposals, 10 intercept possessions and five spoils in the Grand Final victory over Swan Districts. However, he sat out testing at the draft combine in October due to a sore foot which he sustained during that Grand Final.

2024 WAFL Colts 83 ranking points, 15.9 disposals, 6.2 marks, 1.4 intercept marks, 4.4 rebound 50s, 3.4 spoils, 1.0 tackles (10 games) 2024 National Champs 68 ranking points, 11.3 disposals, 5.3 marks, 2.3 intercept marks, 3.5 rebound 50s, 2.3 spoils, 1.5 tackles (4 games)

Gabriel Stumpf

Gabriel Stumpf

Forward
A unique talent, Stumpf showcased his rare traits as a key forward at the national draft combine with the fifth best 20m sprint of all-time.
Club Northern Knights/Warrandyte
State VIC
Height 196cm
DOB 23/11/2006
Speed
Vertical Leap
Overhead Marking
Scoreboard Impact

Not many 196cm forwards can run a 2.815-second 20m sprint and record a 76cm vertical leap. They are the staggering results Stumpf posted at the national draft combine, finishing first in both categories and recording the fifth-best 20m sprint of any draft prospect in history. They highlight Stumpf’s potential to be a dangerous threat in the air and at ground level, with the ability to leap high for marks and also burst away on the lead or when the ball hits the deck. The Warrandyte product kicked 27 goals across 17 games for the Northern Knights, including seven in the space of two games late in the season. Perhaps his best performance came against Eastern Ranges in wildcard round, where he had 11 disposals, seven hitouts to advantage, four score assists, two goals and 148 SuperCoach points. He managed two games at the national championships, taking two contested marks and kicking a goal in Vic Metro’s win over Western Australia. The eye-catching athleticism in his game hasn’t necessarily translated to strong form in his draft year, but there is enough to work with considering his make-up. He also doesn’t turn 18 until the Saturday after the draft, suggesting he has more development to come than most prospects.

2024 Coates Talent League 79 ranking points, 7.8 disposals, 4.8 score involvements, 2.8 goals, 1.3 score assists (4 games) 2024 National Champs 42 ranking points, 6.0 disposals, 3.5 score involvements, 2.5 marks, 0.5 goals (2 games)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back