List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not following the maths, but sounds like they'll find enough spots.
Brisbane currently should have 39 players on their list (Primary, Cat. A), as well as 2 Cat. B Rookies. They did indeed bring in 3 players via the MSD, and there's meant to be 3 on the list who don't yet have a deal for next year.

They had a horror run with all those knee injuries, and obviously did a brilliant job in still winning the flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_AFL_draft
1729597875385.png

Last edited:
Any new information on who we are interested in from the HS article?
It didn't say, just mentioned those who could be available around our picks and talked about the talls.

Leppitsch has said that key position players will be a focus for the Magpies, particularly those who can light it up the forward half.

Could a player like 199cm Northern Knights key forward Tom Sims, 197cm South Australian swingman Charlie Nicholls or 199cm Greater Western Victorian Rebels ruck-forward Floyd Burmeister slip through to Collingwood’s first selection?

Another Northern Knights player — 196cm key forward Gabriel Stumpf — could be another option if the Magpies want to bolster that area of the ground.

L

Fly did say we needed more wingers, and given we delisted Bytel, thats probably something we would look at with one of our picks.
I'd say adding Houston and Perryman got us our two wingman indirectly. It'll put a couple of good players on the wings.

Plus pretty sure Fly was talking senior players with that comment. We've still got a mature kpd to get from his list

Last edited:
I'd say adding Houston and Perryman got us our two wingman indirectly. It'll put a couple of good players on the wings.

Plus pretty sure Fly was talking senior players with that comment. We've still got a mature kpd to get from his list
Agree. Would use picks on talls this draft. We are at capacity for flankers
If we take any non talls it might be an apprentice for Tom Mitchell

Agree. Would use picks on talls this draft. We are at capacity for flankers
If we take any non talls it might be an apprentice for Tom Mitchell
This won't be popular, but I'm with Dekka on a best available philosophy, particularly where we're picking.

I wouldn't draft for depth or balance or as a replacement for a current player - I'd use other recruiting mechanisms for that -as most of them won't make it and give you what you're drafting for and the ones that make it won't play many of their good years with many of our current team. I'd just go the bloke most likely to give us a good senior player in the future.

If we draft the next Ollie Dempsey - fantastic.

Last edited:
This won't be popular, but I'm with Dekka on a best available philosophy, particularly where we're picking.

I wouldn't draft for depth or balance or as a replacement for a current player - I'd use other recruiting mechanisms for that -as most of them won't make it and give you what you're drafting for and the ones that make it won't play many of their good years with many of our current team. I'd just go the bloke most likely to give us a good senior player in the future.

Agree to some extent. In the 18 year age bracket we will need players in all positions by the time they are 22 and our stars have retired. That said, talls are always harder to find, so if it’s a flip of the coin, pick the key position player.

Normally I'd agree but I think this year there's been some sort of directive that we need to add some KP talent. I reckon at least one of the 3 picks will be a KPP. I wouldn't be against a third tall like McKenzie either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Dempsey was a rookie pick, pretty sure he played 6 school games for the year when Geelong picked him up.

Edit: I do know what you mean though and think if we do go tall instead of key forward or key back we go the best tall.

Normally I'd agree but I think this year there's been some sort of directive that we need to add some KP talent. I reckon at least one of the 3 picks will be a KPP. I wouldn't be against a third tall like McKenzie either.
Certainly sounds that way. And it does sound like the year to do it. If we are going that way - make it a numbers game and go tall with all 3 in the hope of getting one who kicks on.

Last edited:
not sure where he is getting a 4th pick from
If you look purely at list spots right now, we could take 4, because Membrey isn't on the list yet. We know he will be, so we've been assuming that the three picks in the 50s are our only picks, but that's not strictly true right at this second.

Seems like most sites that do an "indicative draft order" base it on 4 rounds, but because we've traded our 4th round pick, they have us just having three picks, even though we've currently got 4 open list spots.

Considering that you pick until your list is full, we could pick in the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th rounds if we had the list spots available, so it's either just a miscalculation based on a 4 round estimation, or it's a projection assuming that Membrey is as good as signed.

Certainly sounds that way. And it does sound like the year to do it. If we are going that way - make it a numbers game and go tall with all 3 in the hope of getting one who kicks on.
This is the problem with taking talls so late. The club really needs to commit to the talls they take. Are we seeing our picks as a stab in the dark for talls or are we committed to giving them every possibility to succeed. I'm not sure what the best way to go is being in our situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back