List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm only going off my sheet which combines 5+ phantoms

Has Levi Ashcroft ranked #1 but I just assumed Richmond would want pick 1, so took him as being matched with pick 2. That's about the only manipulation I considered.

Otherwise before us

Lombard pick 8

Kako 16

Marshall 20

Camporeale 33

Champion 42

Cole 43

Smith 46

Quite often on draft night some of these guys get called early. Like Lombard might get a top 5 bid. But quite often the Camporeales etc will get left alone for longer.
You're putting a lot in - that's why you're having our pick go later. That last 4 will push our pick back rather than moving it forward.

I think the easiest is to just ignore the academy kids. At the moment we hold pick 52 of the available players - not including acadmey kids. Roughly 10 picks before ours will disappear in matching - meaning we'll end up with about pick 42 of the available players.

Then if you want to guess the number on the night - add how many academy kids you think will be taken before our pick.

Last edited:

I'm only going off my sheet which combines 5+ phantoms

Has Levi Ashcroft ranked #1 but I just assumed Richmond would want pick 1, so took him as being matched with pick 2. That's about the only manipulation I considered.

Otherwise before us

Lombard pick 8

Kako 16

Marshall 20

Camporeale 33

Champion 42

Cole 43

Smith 46

Quite often on draft night some of these guys get called early. Like Lombard might get a top 5 bid. But quite often the Camporeales etc will get left alone for longer.
Assuming Richmond aren’t dumb campaigners like Norf, they’ll make Brisbane pay full whack for Ashcroft, just like Adelaide did to the dogs for JUH.

Why would anyone give the reigning premier a leg up on getting the best kid in the draft for some stupid vanity shit? If they’re concerned that their player won’t get the $20k or whatever it is for being number 1 they can give it to them themselves, it’s not like they don’t have a shitload of cap to fill right now.

Assuming Richmond aren’t dumb campaigners like Norf, they’ll make Brisbane pay full whack for Ashcroft, just like Adelaide did to the dogs for JUH.

Why would anyone give the reigning premier a leg up on getting the best kid in the draft for some stupid vanity shit? If they’re concerned that their player won’t get the $20k or whatever it is for being number 1 they can give it to them themselves, it’s not like they don’t have a shitload of cap to fill right now.
They traded points picks for Brisbane's first. Might have had non-bidding strings attached to effectively increase the points in the trade.

Given that it seems possible to cut players before their contract has expired - see this example below …

… (presumably Port paid Clurey out his contract) …

… any thoughts on why we held onto Johnson with one year to go on his contract? Rather than free up his list spot?

• Do we still hold hope that Johnson can be a contributor in 2025?
  • Would our salary cap be full up to pussy’s bow so we can’t afford to pay Johnson out this season?
  • Paying players out is not something Collingwood wants to do for cultural reasons? (Have we ever done it?)
  • Or is it only done (AFL wide) when a club needs to get a player out for cultural reasons? (eg: Fev) ie: there’s probably some back story to Clurey we don’t know about?
  • Other?

Given that it seems possible to cut players before their contract has expired - see this example below …

… (presumably Port paid Clurey out his contract) …

… any thoughts on why we held onto Johnson with one year to go on his contract? Rather than free up his list spot?

• Do we still hold hope that Johnson can be a contributor in 2025?
  • Would our salary cap be full up to pussy’s bow so we can’t afford to pay Johnson out this season?
  • Paying players out is not something Collingwood wants to do for cultural reasons? (Have we ever done it?)
  • Or is it only done (AFL wide) when a club needs to get a player out for cultural reasons? (eg: Fev) ie: there’s probably some back story to Clurey we don’t know about?
  • Other?
We could still end up delisting AJ . I think there's still time.

They traded points picks for Brisbane's first. Might have had non-bidding strings attached to effectively increase the points in the trade.

I’d imagine any “strings anttached” thing would be against the rules.

Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen I suppose - but would think it’s unlikley. It’s a tiny industry and not the kind of thing clubs / employees would want to risk getting busted for.

Besides, how would it be enforced? It couldn’t. It’s not as if Brisbane could complain to the AFL and say “Hey, it’s not fair, Richmond reneged on a deal …”

I’d imagine any “strings anttached” thing would be against the rules.

Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen I suppose - but would think it’s unlikley. It’s a tiny industry and not the kind of thing clubs / employees would want to risk getting busted for.

Besides, how would it be enforced? It couldn’t. It’s not as if Brisbane could complain to the AFL and say “Hey, it’s not fair, Richmond reneged on a deal …”
Still think there is such a thing as gentlemens agreement. Don’t think clubs would walk back on it and operate in bad faith, as it could always come back to hurt them down the track.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the more i think about it, the more I feel we will resist the urge to trade up . Think we will choose to use 2/3 picks to address our lack of depth at kpd and small fwd .

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back