List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

If we had a spot, for sure. But thats not guaranteed depending what we do with Long/Reef. Though we could put HH on the LT1 and invite Glover to train over summer.
For me it makes sense to be looking at a guy like that - someone that bit older that if needs be can come in and do a role, especially if there are questions marks over Frampton and Dean. I know they're very rare finds, but if someone could come in and have half the career Mihocek has had, but in defense (acknowledging the irony of where Checkers was meant to be recruited to play) I think we would be ecstatic with that find.

For me it makes sense to be looking at a guy like that - someone that bit older that if needs be can come in and do a role, especially if there are questions marks over Frampton and Dean. I know they're very rare finds, but if someone could come in and have half the career Mihocek has had, but in defense (acknowledging the irony of where Checkers was meant to be recruited to play) I think we would be ecstatic with that find.
I agree, its just list spots are tight, so we'll see what happens. I certainly would look at him, had a great year, bnf winner too.

Smoky time?

Traralgon defender Tye Hourigan looms as a bolter for 2024 AFL draft​

He’s 23, already has four best-and-fairests and a premiership medal to his name — and AFL clubs are taking notice. Meet the country footy defender bound for the big smoke.

The whispers out of Gippsland football are becoming more frequent. AFL clubs are watching Traralgon’s Tye Hourigan — and he may be the bolter in this year’s drafts. The 23-year-old is widely regarded as one of the best players in Victorian country football and it’s believed at least one club had recruiters running an eye over him in the Gippy league grand final three weeks ago.

Hourigan, a 193cm defender, played in Traralgon’s premiership win over Leongatha and claimed his fourth senior best and fairest despite missing a few games with injury. For the third consecutive season he was also named at centre half back in the Gippsland team of the year.

Even as a key backman, Hourigan has sometimes been tagged by rival teams. “I hope so. There’s been different inklings here and there,’’ Maroons coach Troy Hamilton responded to speculation that recruiters were on to Hourigan.

“It would be brilliant for him and brilliant for our club.

“I think he could play in the AFL. He’s the best country footballer I’ve seen. I think he could play in the AFL for sure. He’s 6’3 and a bit, he can play on talls or smalls, he’s an elite mark, he runs a 6:20 2km, he’s got pace, he’s an elite user and he reads the footy better than anyone I’ve seen. There is no weakness.’’

Hamilton said Hourigan was “lame’’ with an ankle injury in a match against Morwell this year, prompting the Maroons to play him out of the goalsquare. He kicked six goals.

Former Traralgon coach Jake Best was similarly effusive when asked about Hourigan.

The former Casey VFL player and Vermont premiership forward called him an outstanding player, “in the best three I’ve ever played with’’. “He’s a star mate,’’ Best said. “He’s a tall intercept defender with great skills and he reads the play like someone I’ve never seen.’’

Hourigan has been named in Traralgon’s best players 49 times in his 65 games in the past four seasons.

An official from an opposition Gippsland league club said of Hourigan: “Everything is one-touch clean. He kicks the footy like a mule – hits a bloke on the chest with a 60m drop-punt – and he’ll pick the ball up at pace below his knees, sidestep someone coming the other way and off he goes. “He’s as good a key position player as I’ve seen at our level.’’

Hourigan was runner-up in Gippsland Power’s 2018 best and fairest and trained briefly with Casey Demons before returning to Traralgon.

VFL clubs have sounded him out in the past two years but he’s been content to play for the Maroons as he completes his university studies to be a schoolteacher.

Hourigan is also an accomplished cricketer, captaining a local A grade team

Smoky time?

There's no way a 23 year old country footballer is going to walk into the AFL and do a passable job on AFL key forwards.

It's just not happening. Even if he made it in the future, it will take a full season for him to get his legs under him, start understanding the game at that higher level, and then be able to compete with these AFL players.

There's no way a 23 year old country footballer is going to walk into the AFL and do a passable job on AFL key forwards.

It's just not happening. Even if he made it in the future, it will take a full season for him to get his legs under him, start understanding the game at that higher level, and then be able to compete with these AFL players.
No doubt. Everyone has the Tom Stewart obsession though. But then you get situations with players like Sam Sof. Be interesting to see if someone gives him a chance.

Smoky time?

He’s 23, already has four best-and-fairests and a premiership medal to his name — and AFL clubs are taking notice. Meet the country footy defender bound for the big smoke.

The whispers out of Gippsland football are becoming more frequent. AFL clubs are watching Traralgon’s Tye Hourigan — and he may be the bolter in this year’s drafts. The 23-year-old is widely regarded as one of the best players in Victorian country football and it’s believed at least one club had recruiters running an eye over him in the Gippy league grand final three weeks ago.

Hourigan, a 193cm defender, played in Traralgon’s premiership win over Leongatha and claimed his fourth senior best and fairest despite missing a few games with injury. For the third consecutive season he was also named at centre half back in the Gippsland team of the year.

Even as a key backman, Hourigan has sometimes been tagged by rival teams. “I hope so. There’s been different inklings here and there,’’ Maroons coach Troy Hamilton responded to speculation that recruiters were on to Hourigan.

“It would be brilliant for him and brilliant for our club.

“I think he could play in the AFL. He’s the best country footballer I’ve seen. I think he could play in the AFL for sure. He’s 6’3 and a bit, he can play on talls or smalls, he’s an elite mark, he runs a 6:20 2km, he’s got pace, he’s an elite user and he reads the footy better than anyone I’ve seen. There is no weakness.’’

Hamilton said Hourigan was “lame’’ with an ankle injury in a match against Morwell this year, prompting the Maroons to play him out of the goalsquare. He kicked six goals.

Former Traralgon coach Jake Best was similarly effusive when asked about Hourigan.

The former Casey VFL player and Vermont premiership forward called him an outstanding player, “in the best three I’ve ever played with’’. “He’s a star mate,’’ Best said. “He’s a tall intercept defender with great skills and he reads the play like someone I’ve never seen.’’

Hourigan has been named in Traralgon’s best players 49 times in his 65 games in the past four seasons.

An official from an opposition Gippsland league club said of Hourigan: “Everything is one-touch clean. He kicks the footy like a mule – hits a bloke on the chest with a 60m drop-punt – and he’ll pick the ball up at pace below his knees, sidestep someone coming the other way and off he goes. “He’s as good a key position player as I’ve seen at our level.’’

Hourigan was runner-up in Gippsland Power’s 2018 best and fairest and trained briefly with Casey Demons before returning to Traralgon.

VFL clubs have sounded him out in the past two years but he’s been content to play for the Maroons as he completes his university studies to be a schoolteacher.

Hourigan is also an accomplished cricketer, captaining a local A grade team
It's a yes from me

No doubt. Everyone has the Tom Stewart obsession though. But then you get situations with players like Sam Sof. Be interesting to see if someone gives him a chance.
Even then, Tom Stewart went through the VFL program before being selected in the National Draft. He didn't just walk from South Barwon onto an AFL field.

He won a premiership at South Barwon in 2013 under Matthew Scarlett, didn't get onto Geelong's VFL list until 2016, and they drafted him at the end of that season.

Maybe, maybe this dude is worth rookie listing so you can get a look at him in your VFL program and assess if there's AFL level tools there, but look more at a Joe Richards trajectory where the earliest he might be able to play AFL games is halfway through his second season on the list, and that's not accounting for the fact that playing key defense in the AFL is a lot harder than playing on the HFF.

Never say never Vinnie. This year Logan Morriss slotted into a tall role in the premiers coming off the back off lesser performance in a lower standard of footy.

Even then, Tom Stewart went through the VFL program before being selected in the National Draft. He didn't just walk from South Barwon onto an AFL field.

He won a premiership at South Barwon in 2013 under Matthew Scarlett, didn't get onto Geelong's VFL list until 2016, and they drafted him at the end of that season.

Maybe, maybe this dude is worth rookie listing so you can get a look at him in your VFL program and assess if there's AFL level tools there, but look more at a Joe Richards trajectory where the earliest he might be able to play AFL games is halfway through his second season on the list, and that's not accounting for the fact that playing key defense in the AFL is a lot harder than playing on the HFF.

I think I’d be looking at him more as a longer term Howe replacement (3rd tall interceptor) than KPD given his size and traits. Love to see kids like this get a go. If it’s with us, great, if it’s not, good luck to him.

A few hack kicks in there
I have been looking at some of the less well-known & less- mentioned & less-discussed players who have nominated for the forthcoming 2024 National Draft. OK. So I am wondering if anybody on this site knows anything about the following players? OK. They are are all apparently either key defenders or key forwards. Anyway here they are:

Charlie West
Thomas Cathcart
Cooper Bell
Caleb Nancarrow
Oliver Dean
Tom Bell
Riak Andrew

Regardless goodnight & goodluck.

Never say never Vinnie. This year Logan Morriss slotted into a tall role in the premiers coming off the back off lesser performance in a lower standard of footy.
Logan Morris was a high level talent who came through the top pathways, was trained to become an AFL footballer on the standard trajectory that a high level talent does so, and performed in a big way during his first season.

That's not the same thing as a guy who hasn't been indentified as a draftable talent for a minimum of 5 years beyond turning 18.

It's also way easier playing as a forward in a stacked forward line, where the attention isn't on you, and even if you don't do everything perfectly, it doesn't look like you're getting massacred.

KPD is a tough task. You don't see many guys coming straight in after being drafted and playing that role effectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I’d be looking at him more as a longer term Howe replacement (3rd tall interceptor) than KPD given his size and traits. Love to see kids like this get a go. If it’s with us, great, if it’s not, good luck to him.
I'm just saying, I think people are seeing 23 year old key defender and thinking he'll solve our current key defensive issues, but if he takes a year and a half to even debut, than our current issues may not look the same.

Obviously he may become an okay player in time, but so may hundreds of other prospects from a range of sources.

This is just a random longshot that someone posted an article about.

"AFL clubs are watching this guy"? They're also watching every player in the NAB league, the VFL, SANFL and WAFL.

I have been looking at some of the less well-known & less- mentioned & less-discussed players who have nominated for the forthcoming 2024 National Draft. OK. So I am wondering if anybody on this site knows anything about the following players? OK. They are are all apparently either key defenders or key forwards. Anyway here they are:

Charlie West
Thomas Cathcart
Cooper Bell
Caleb Nancarrow
Oliver Dean
Tom Bell
Riak Andrew

Regardless goodnight & goodluck.
I don't know anything about any of these guys

Logan Morris was a high level talent who came through the top pathways, was trained to become an AFL footballer on the standard trajectory that a high level talent does so, and performed in a big way during his first season.

That's not the same thing as a guy who hasn't been indentified as a draftable talent for a minimum of 5 years beyond turning 18.

It's also way easier playing as a forward in a stacked forward line, where the attention isn't on you, and even if you don't do everything perfectly, it doesn't look like you're getting massacred.

KPD is a tough task. You don't see many guys coming straight in after being drafted and playing that role effectively.
Charlie Dean was thrown to the wolves early this season - he's older, but hadn't played for a couple of years due to his foot problems.
He came to us highly rated, and will hopefully be able to show us why in 2025

Isaac Smith was drafted at 21 from half a season of VFL following country footy. Kicked on in Y1. I don't see why it couldn't happen again.

But he'd be a draftee. Why would him being ready year 1 matter?

Assuming Richmond aren’t dumb campaigners like Norf, they’ll make Brisbane pay full whack for Ashcroft, just like Adelaide did to the dogs for JUH.

Why would anyone give the reigning premier a leg up on getting the best kid in the draft for some stupid vanity shit? If they’re concerned that their player won’t get the $20k or whatever it is for being number 1 they can give it to them themselves, it’s not like they don’t have a shitload of cap to fill right now.
Because if it doesn’t impact their draft order there is no advantage to them.
In fact from a marketing and player relationship standpoint they are better not to.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back