Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A slightly later small forward pick for the Roos to possibly look at

----

Jesse Dattoli has been flying somewhat under the radar this season but he finds himself in good form ahead of a big finals campaign with a chance to really push himself up the draft order. He started slowly in this game, fumbling a couple of times and not seeing much of the ball in the opening quarter as his team fell well behind on the scoreboard. He started the second quarter in the center bounce and from there he lifted himself and his team as they gradually fought back in the game. He showcased his strong marking for his size, powerful movement and solid skills, not to mention his ability to hit the scoreboard through set shots or opportunistic snaps.

As Harry said this morning enough is enough. I think we should trade our F1 for another top 10 pick this year.

Pick up FOS and Armstrong/J Whitlock I can’t go through another season with us bottom 2 let’s get the good core group together and shed the dead weight.
Nah. Crows 15th with 8 wins, Melbourne 14th with 11. We'd have to improved dramatically to not be in the bottom 4.

We'll improve no doubt, but not worth risking one of the top 4 talents in next years draft with Ludowyke and Sharp at the pointy end.

Nah. Crows 15th with 8 wins, Melbourne 14th with 11. We'd have to improved dramatically to not be in the bottom 4.

We'll improve no doubt, but not worth risking one of the top 4 talents in next years draft with Ludowyke and Sharp at the pointy end.
Yeah. Can't see F1 for a single pick this year. It would have to be multiple picks or more likely future 2nd / 3rd rounds.

As Harry said this morning enough is enough. I think we should trade our F1 for another top 10 pick this year.

Pick up FOS and Armstrong/J Whitlock I can’t go through another season with us bottom 2 let’s get the good core group together and shed the dead weight.

The challenge with doing this is finding a club with a top 10 pick this year who thinks they are travelling well enough that they don't need a top 10 player straight away but can afford to wait another year to improve their list. Nobody who finished outside the 8 is thinking that way, not with this draft at any rate.

Therefore, the best opportunity is with a team that anticipates a bid on an academy player and wants to get ahead of that by trading their top 10 pick for a future pick to avoid having to spend the draft capital. Unfortunately, there are no clubs in that situation this year. Brisbane will have to match a bid on Ashcroft but their pick is going to be mid teens at best. We're not giving our F1 for that. And Gold Coast will have to match a bid on Lombard but it's unlikely that bid comes before their pick 6. Therefore, their next pick (13) is an option but they'll probably hand that over to Richmond for Rioli. And again, I can't see us giving up our F1 for 13.

The only other opportunity might be if Richmond ends up with as many as 5x first round picks after they trade out Rioli, Baker, and Bolton. They might be interested in letting one of their top 10s go in exchange for our F1.

Luke Trainor is perhaps the only non-midfielder among the top echelon of teenagers this year, with the son of 100-goal great Doug Wade often among the best performers in stints with the Sandringham Dragons, Vic Metro and the AFL Academy.

Doug getting about in his older years.
Kudos.
Not Son but Grandson...

The challenge with doing this is finding a club with a top 10 pick this year who thinks they are travelling well enough that they don't need a top 10 player straight away but can afford to wait another year to improve their list. Nobody who finished outside the 8 is thinking that way, not with this draft at any rate.

Therefore, the best opportunity is with a team that anticipates a bid on an academy player and wants to get ahead of that by trading their top 10 pick for a future pick to avoid having to spend the draft capital. Unfortunately, there are no clubs in that situation this year. Brisbane will have to match a bid on Ashcroft but their pick is going to be mid teens at best. We're not giving our F1 for that. And Gold Coast will have to match a bid on Lombard but it's unlikely that bid comes before their pick 6. Therefore, their next pick (13) is an option but they'll probably hand that over to Richmond for Rioli. And again, I can't see us giving up our F1 for 13.

The only other opportunity might be if Richmond ends up with as many as 5x first round picks after they trade out Rioli, Baker, and Bolton. They might be interested in letting one of their top 10s go in exchange for our F1.
This is the best opportunity l think for us to get another First Round pick this year also...

Freos pick#9 or #10 woukd be nice to get if the Tiggers can do a deal with them..

Heard a couple of clubs have been looking at that Garoni fella from Werribee. Not sure if just a glance or genuine interest. Can anyone tell me anything about him?

His draft profile from years ago looks ok.
I hope we’re drawing on Mick Barlow for intell. He spruiked Mannagh before last years draft and got that one right

This is the best opportunity l think for us to get another First Round pick this year also...

Freos pick#9 or #10 woukd be nice to get if the Tiggers can do a deal with them..
Yes I'd say those two picks are going to Richmond so it will be interesting to see if we can offer something to tempt them to hand one over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I'd say those two picks are going to Richmond so it will be interesting to see if we can offer something to tempt them to hand one over.
If Bolton wants out, Baker accepts to go to Freo and Rioli goes to GC, they could ask for 9,10, 27 from Freo and 6 from Rioli.
GC use their picks to match any bid from Lombard from pick 5 down.
We offer 2 + F2 for tigers 6, 10 & 27
Our draft hand would 6,10, 20, 22, 27.

Last edited:
If Bolton wants out, Baker accepts to go to Freo and Rioli goes to GC, they could ask for 9,10, 27 from Freo and 6 from Rioli.
GC use their picks to match any bid from Lombard from pick 5 down.
We offer 2 + F2 for tigers 6, 10 & 27
Our draft hand would 6,10, 20, 27.
We have 22 not 20. Assistance picks pushed it back two spots.

An interesting day for Travaglia. Switching back to defense instead of the midfield role he had been playing, he copped an early injury and spent the majority of the first quarter off the ground as a result. That injury may have been effecting him when he returned to play as he struggled to effect the game as much as he typically does, although his pressure and tackling was still as intense as ever. With the Pioneers needing a spark Travaglia was moved into the forward line in the fourth quarter and produced an exciting cameo, kicking a couple of highlight reel worthy goals to show just how much untapped potential he possesses.

It's all well and good to suggest we trade our F1 for a top 10 pick this year but realistically who are we going to trade with? Which club will want to trade out of the top 10?

1. Richmond won't they are at ground zero of their rebuild.
3. West Coast won't they are only one year ahead of Richmond.
4. Adelaide won't they'll want to trade up if they can.
5. Melbourne won't they need to replace the talent that's leaving, especially if Petracca leaves.
6. Gold Coast won't they need their pick for trades.
7. St Kilda won't they need high end talent.
8. Essendon won't they need high end talent.
9 & 10. Freo won't they need their picks for trades.

Last edited:
It'a all well and good to suggest we trade our F1 for a top 10 pick this year but realistically who are we going to trade with? Which club will want to trade out of the top 10?

5. Melbourne won't they need to replace the talent that's leaving, especially if Petracca leaves.
Yeah I'm not sure we'd get any takers either for the F1 as not many would want to move out of the draft.
Perhaps Crows or Port (if they get 5 off Dees or 7 off Saints for Houston) could be keen on Dyson Sharp next year.
I'd probably just look at trying to get the F2 into this year but that may be the same difficulty.

It'a all well and good to suggest we trade our F1 for a top 10 pick this year but realistically who are we going to trade with? Which club will want to trade out of the top 10?

Yep.

I can't see that on the table unless strong established talent is coming back the other way or multiple picks our way. We are not trading our F1 for picks higher than our natural pick this year given the even draft perception.

I wouldn’t be trading out of next years draft. I’d be trying to grab Willem Duursma next year. If we have both at the club there is not a chance in hell either of them ever leave
Very good point, I'm sure we'll get a few more wins next year but we're still likely to be bottom 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back