Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we would be losing a lot moving to pick 4. We'd need to be compensated far more than Pick 30 for that imo.

Some will argue otherwise, but FOS and Draper are the two best fits for our side if we continue with the likes of Powell, Simpkin etc in there.

Midfielders with Drapers leg speed do not grow on trees.

You get 1 or 2 maximum a draft at the point end.

Jagga has some zip, Finn move differently, but is more class related.

The rest of the midfield options are very one paced.

You had me at leg speed

I think Crows might be out of the picture trading for 2 if they're trading any of F1 or 2nd/F2 for Lukosius and Neal-Bullen.
Crows will be an interesting watch as a Draper is what they need in their midfield but if they think they are primed for 2025 with the addition of Luosius and Neal-Bullen via futures, then 4+25 plus GC's 20 would be great.

Still think what the Tigers do with Baker, Bolton & Rioli will shape the draft order and whether we look to get more value out of pick 2.

Crows will be an interesting watch as a Draper is what they need in their midfield but if they think they are primed for 2025 with the addition of Luosius and Neal-Bullen via futures, then 4+25 plus GC's 20 would be great.

Still think what the Tigers do with Baker, Bolton & Rioli will shape the draft order and whether we look to get more value out of pick 2.
Yep there's a lot to play out. Even if we don't move back, I'm sure we will be lurking around trying to move our F2 into this year as a third party in some of these deals at the very least.

Its been a theme that the kids playing VFL come back to the Talent League chock full of confidence and turn in a ripper performance, and Harvey Langford was no different. He was relentless and beastlike around the stoppages, damaging with the footy outside of the contest, strong overhead and slotted four goals to round things off and help his team get the win.

Its been a theme that the kids playing VFL come back to the Talent League chock full of confidence and turn in a ripper performance, and Harvey Langford was no different. He was relentless and beastlike around the stoppages, damaging with the footy outside of the contest, strong overhead and slotted four goals to round things off and help his team get the win.

Been waiting for this one

There's our pick 2 if we keep it!

Choc full of confidence after his excellent run in the VFL with Essendon, Jobe Shanahan returned to Talent League play with the Pioneers and had his best game of the season. His team were smashed in the opening quarter going well behind, until Shanahan kicked two goals late in the term to give them hope. They slowly closed the gap over the remainder of the contest with Shanahan their talisman in the forward line, but couldn't quite overcome the deficit. Shanahan found space on the lead, took a couple of excellent contested marks and even snapped an opportunistic goal on the run.

Going to absolutely hate having to watch this kid play somewhere else. Trainor too.

I’ll happily stand in my own little corner, but I’m team split. Sorry.

There's our pick 2 if we keep it!

Forgive the intrusion, but as impressive as Draper and others are, I really think Langford is the perfect pick for the Roos. He compliments your midfield perfectly.

Says he models himself on the Bont and you can actually see it when he plays. Frankly, he's more aggressive and physical than the Bont.

Moves well - nice kick - gets his handballs away under pressure - can play forward and kick goals - is versatile - and no go home factor.

Wardlaw, LDU, McKercher, Sheezel and Langford - would be about as good a midfield as I can remember.

I'm a Hawks fan, but I would expect you guys to burn past us in a couple of years with that midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep investing on the best mids we can get. We gotta stack our 22 with talented mids on the flanks, wings, fwds & backs.

The best teams have stacked midfields. You look Collingwood with a guy like Steele Sidebottom. Very talented midfielder who hasn't been in Collingwood's midfield for a few years because of Daicos, Pendlebury, Crisp, De Goey etc. He plays on bck/fwd flanks or wing. Same with Taylor Adams who's now at Sydney.

The one kid that stands out to me (just looking at highlight reels) is Smillie. We've never drafted a big brute like him before and more importantly he offers something to different to the likes of Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, LDU, Simpkin, Powell & Phillips.

LOL at the triple commentary/exclamations at 1:03. "Pi$$ off/Are you kidding me/No way".

The last time we kangas supporters said that, LMac was about to take a regulation kick out of D50 against the Weagles!

Keep investing on the best mids we can get. We gotta stack our 22 with talented mids on the flanks, wings, fwds & backs.

The best teams have stacked midfields. You look Collingwood with a guy like Steele Sidebottom. Very talented midfielder who hasn't been in Collingwood's midfield for a few years because of Daicos, Pendlebury, Crisp, De Goey etc. He plays on bck/fwd flanks or wing. Same with Taylor Adams who's now at Sydney.

The one kid that stands out to me (just looking at highlight reels) is Smillie. We've never drafted a big brute like him before and more importantly he offers something to different to the likes of Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, LDU, Simpkin, Powell & Phillips.
yes jump on the Smillie train

Big body, accumulates, good skills, captained vic metro and versatile

yep. cant believe how lukewarm this thread is on langford. id love him.

dont be surprised if he goes #1 by the way. he would be seriously in the mix.
I haven't really been following it all that intensely this year but langford is my favorite mid prospect and Draper is close.

Thing is, he doesn’t seem to be a brute as you say. At 194 against other kids he’s not exactly monstering them. Would have been good to see him have a crack in the VFL. Apparently was very impressive with Hawks I think it was with his AIS placement.

You an make cases for a lot of them. Not opposed to sliding in the order a few spots and picking up a key forward.
If we hold and pick FOS then perhaps he can fill the Brent Daniels role early on and we take a later couple of small fwds.
Smillie, Langford and Lalor would be able to go forward and kick goals, so they are intriguing versatile options as well.

FOS has speed/endurance combo, good skills, does some special things. Could he do a Brent Daniels role for us early on?

Smith is talented, good composure and vision, damaging ball use looks to be improving. But a bit concerned how much muscle he will be able to add with his slight frame long term.

Smillie is very clean with his hands but his kicking can be hit and miss. The most recent game highlights he looked a bit more composed and hit more targets so that's a good sign. Can go forward and kick goals. Hasn't quite learnt how to make the most of his big frame but he's definitely an option for us.

Langford has a lot to like about him, consistent performer, 190cm frame, a workhorse, very good overhead and hits the scoreboard. Could be a real weapon but how's his athleticism? Will he get caught with the ball with less time?
He's a big game player but is he a star factor player that you take at pick 2 would be another question?

Lalor has that burst of speed and powerful frame, can go forward and kick goals. Kicking a bit hit and miss though.
But has that star factor about him and may have the most upside. Tank may be another query?

Draper has speed, agility and class, but can he break tackles at AFL level? We might be spooked from JHF.

Last edited:
Forgive the intrusion, but as impressive as Draper and others are, I really think Langford is the perfect pick for the Roos. He compliments your midfield perfectly.

Says he models himself on the Bont and you can actually see it when he plays. Frankly, he's more aggressive and physical than the Bont.

Moves well - nice kick - gets his handballs away under pressure - can play forward and kick goals - is versatile - and no go home factor.

Wardlaw, LDU, McKercher, Sheezel and Langford - would be about as good a midfield as I can remember.

I'm a Hawks fan, but I would expect you guys to burn past us in a couple of years with that midfield.

The only thing we generally burn is ourselves, my friend.

I think come draft time we will get an offer or two and the big watch is what picks the tigers get for the players leaving, some people don't think the tigers would swap two picks in the top say 12 for 2, don't bet your house on that!
Everyone can say this draft is even but if a certain club has a particular player above others they might pay big to get him

Choc full of confidence after his excellent run in the VFL with Essendon, Jobe Shanahan returned to Talent League play with the Pioneers and had his best game of the season. His team were smashed in the opening quarter going well behind, until Shanahan kicked two goals late in the term to give them hope. They slowly closed the gap over the remainder of the contest with Shanahan their talisman in the forward line, but couldn't quite overcome the deficit. Shanahan found space on the lead, took a couple of excellent contested marks and even snapped an opportunistic goal on the run.

Looks to have a bit of power in the right foot

Thing is, he doesn’t seem to be a brute as you say. At 194 against other kids he’s not exactly monstering them. Would have been good to see him have a crack in the VFL. Apparently was very impressive with Hawks I think it was with his AIS placement.
Draper made him look a soft fool when they played each other.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back