Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like the looks of Gerreyn but trying to hold back the hype because the odds of us drafting him seem about 5%.
Most mock drafts have him available at our 2nd, i think its only on this board ive seen him rated higher. Most of us have talked him up here because he's suitable for list while there are a number of key fwds rated around the same or ahead of him.

It'll be interesting how much draft orders change, or where/ who might try to take him ahead of us. Its probably the only scenario id split pick 2 for tho, is to make sure we got him.

Northern vs Eastern

Jesse Datoli with 35, kicked 1.1, 6 marks, 6 tackles, 8 i50s
Josh Smillie with 26, kicked 2.1, 5 r50s, 3 marks, 2 tackles
T.Sims - 16 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 20 HO, 6 i50s, 0.1

Calder vs Oakleigh

Jagga - 24 and a goal
Davey Motlop with 5 goals
J.Alger with 4 goals

Last edited:

Smillie just came off a best on ground Coates league game last week
Also had another good game today. My knock is still he recoils from impact. He will need to work on that at the next level. Could develop but being worried about his attack on the ball this early is a concern for me.

Have to take Riley Bice from Werribee with a rookie pick! Smooth mover, fantastic decision maker and links up so well across half back, 35 touches today in Werribee’s win over Geelong. So much upside in his game, wouldn’t want to miss out on another Werribee product like we did with Mannagh and Clohesy
We are crying out for a HBFlanker of that size.
Nice left foot!!!!! I’m sold
Goater has the ? Mark after the Achilles injury.
Archer is a lock-down.
Fisher and Sonic are a bit small to offer much intercepting/defensive help.
Lock Bice in.
30 years ago we picked up another mature aged HBF from the VFL, and that turned out well… David King

So who do we pick with our 1st if we are not splitting it. I am still hoping we pick him regardless of his minor injuries.
I think a deal can be done with Richmond, but if not, I'm trading 2 for Adelaide 4, 25.
I'd also look to trade down with St Kilda - 4 for Saints 7, 24, as they are gagging for mids.

I reckon there is great value in the 2nd round in this draft, similar to 2017 when Wet Toast picked Allen(pick 21), Ryan(pick 25), Ainsworth(pick 32)

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched the 2nd half of the Calder V Oakleigh match, the coverage was pretty average at best. Was disappointed Harry O’Farrell wasn’t playing, not sure why he didn’t suit up!

Couple of takes:

Jagga Smith isn’t too dissimilar to Sheez in the way he plays midfield, everyone around him is playing checkers and he is playing chess. Subtle things, like small steps, feints ect. He creates space where there is none. Rarely wasted a disposal.

If Davey-Motlop can lose the puppy fat and get his body composition to the level of an AFL player he has all the hall marks of being an elite small forward. Beautiful kick, classy, evasive and has natural forward craft.

Love Tom Gross’ attack on the footy. You’d be hard pressed to find a more attacking player in this draft class. Multiple times he had big repeat efforts which resulted in the ball getting back in Oakleigh hands.

Patrick Said had a few nice moments for Calder, at this stage he is probably on the fringe of getting drafted. Could be one to keep an eye on for our VFL side.

Some of the underagers were super impressive. Next years tall stocks are going to be bloody good if today was anything to go by. Louie Emmett impressive and Cooper Duff-Tytler looks a bit of a freakish prospect for next year. Both of them are only 17 but will both be pushing 200cm next year.

Northern vs Eastern

Jesse Datoli with 35, kicked 1.1, 6 marks, 6 tackles, 8 i50s
Josh Smillie with 26, kicked 2.1, 5 r50s, 3 marks, 2 tackles

Calder vs Oakleigh

Jagga - 24 and a goal
Davey Motlop with 5 goals
J.Alger with 4 goals
Just posted this morning that jasper alger was sorta staying under the radar....

Sandy vs Jets

M.Reid - 32 disposals, 3 goals, 3 tackles
H.Armstrong - 16 disposals, 4 goals, 6marks, 2 tackles
L.Trainor - 19 disposals, 5 marks, 5 i50s, 4 r50s
L.Ashcroft - 30 disposals, 1 goal, 6 marks, 2 tackles

Sandy vs Jets

M.Reid - 32 disposals, 3 goals, 3 tackles
H.Armstrong - 16 disposals, 4 goals, 6marks, 2 tackles
L.Trainor - 19 disposals, 5 marks, 5 i50s, 4 r50s
L.Ashcroft - 30 disposals, 1 goal, 6 marks, 2 tackles
Would love to draft the first 3 on that list...

I know LMac was pretty ordinary this year, but removing the number 11 from everything is going a little far! ;)

Or is that a player Spock is trying to hide from the other clubs as who you really want for our 2nd rounder? As long as he's not from Queensland!
Yeah I totally forgot about 11 DaveyBoy123, until you brought up Luke's name, will edit straight away and fix pick 11, how could Spock have left this player out? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are crying out for a HBFlanker of that size.
Nice left foot!!!!! I’m sold
Goater has the ? Mark after the Achilles injury.
Archer is a lock-down.
Fisher and Sonic are a bit small to offer much intercepting/defensive help.
Lock Bice in.
30 years ago we picked up another mature aged HBF from the VFL, and that turned out well… David King
I'm sorry is that a question mark on his mark or a question mark mark? Mark.

This gerreyn kid is growing on me. I think I want him, he can play round 1 2025, the boy is massive and would fit in well with our WA cohort. Get him in!
The tank would be the only question mark for round 1, but we could forget about recruiting old slugs on 800k to provide a target.

Im big on getting him for sure. Even his ruck work you can see he has a fair leap, but more importantly its impressive how he uses that leg strength. The around the ground ones he drives up with power and a big body to move his direct opponent.

Then his kicking, a thing of beauty and has him dangerous from 55. A Hawkins like fwd and second ruck at the same time.

Last edited:
The tank would be the only question mark for round 1, but we could forget about recruiting old slugs on 800k to provide a target.

Im big on getting him for sure. Even his ruck work you can see he has a fair leap, but more importantly its impressive how he uses that leg strength. The around the ground one he drives up with power and a big body to move his direct opponent.

Then his kicking, a thing of beaty and has him dangerous from 55. A Hawkins like fwd and second ruck at the same time.
I’d even consider dropping pick 2 straight on him. He is a monster

Not a chance in hell he makes it to our second pick.
Yeah i was hopeful based on mock drafts that he would be, and theres a chance he is, but not sure im willing to take that chance given how sold i am on him. This list has him making moves up the order.

Maybe we do have to split pick 2 and get something something like Trainor/ Langford/ Hotton/ Lalor and then Gerreyn. But im for making 100% sure we get him, too much to like for our list at least. If we did drop pick 2 on him id understand.

Top40.2.png

Last edited:
Would love to draft the first 3 on that list...

Would love that as well but Harvery Langford would be a very keen suit for our team or a Harry Armstrong. We need that FF support. Langford would be the guy that has a higher chance coming to us than Armstrong depends on the rankings and performances
Any thoughts on Reid climbing the rankings into the top 5-6 over the next couple of months?

Yes that would be very realistic he is a gun.

This gerreyn kid is growing on me. I think I want him, he can play round 1 2025, the boy is massive and would fit in well with our WA cohort. Get him in!
Welcome to the party DuckYeah, when he gets picked up and gets into an AFL environment, gets to learn more about forward play and positioning he is going to be some player, the confidence is there to a point, but its only scratching the surface, unbelievable amount of potential for a player his size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back