Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a fascinating watch as Jagga had to fight through a hard tag all game. Bottom ager Felix Kneipp got the job which he stuck to with discipline, working extra hard at stoppage to scrag and block Jagga's run and sticking with him as best he could on the spread. Jagga got frustrated at times, giving away a few retaliatory free kicks, but he mostly stuck at it and worked extra hard to break free which he managed at key moments, especially in the second half where he kicked a goal and played a role in a couple of other scoring chains.

A bit off the topic but next year and 2026 drafts are the last uncomprised draft before tasmania coming in right?

I’ll repeat what I said a while ago, if Jagga had any sort of rig he would be the clear number 1. As it is I reckon he’ll still go number 1.

My preference for us is that if Langford shows any signs of improvement at the combine I would not hesitate to take him. We are so desperate for a bit of campaigner - it’s pretty much our biggest weakness.

Proper small forwards and crumbers will give us some massive boosts straight away

Key forwards, not as much esp if they are draftees.

We made the 07 prelim with no recognised key forward.

Our current forward 6 mix would have Larkey, curtis, zurhaar as locks. The other 3 spots are still up in air but i would foresee duursma being one of them, the remaining 2 i would hope are two quality crumbers (Fisher + Payne maybe?)

We will need to on the hunt for matured age key pos players, i.e. ben brown.

I’ll repeat what I said a while ago, if Jagga had any sort of rig he would be the clear number 1. As it is I reckon he’ll still go number 1.

My preference for us is that if Langford shows any signs of improvement at the combine I would not hesitate to take him. We are so desperate for a bit of campaigner - it’s pretty much our biggest weakness.

haha I think we are flushed with weakness, personally!

Starting in defence where we don't have great one on one defensive options, Archer and Logue notwithstanding. Then the midfield which albeit young, lacks a bit of two
way running and accountability and finally, the forward line where aside from Larkey, we have nobody who wouldn't look out of place at Vermont. But sure, a few dogs who like the rough stuff, wouldn't go astray.

Starting in defence where we don't have great one on one defensive options, Archer and Logue notwithstanding. Then the midfield which albeit young, lacks a bit of two
way running and accountability and finally, the forward line where aside from Larkey, we have nobody who wouldn't look out of place at Vermont. But sure, a few dogs who like the rough stuff, wouldn't go astray.

Umm corr is one of the best 1 v 1 key defender...

Midfield is just inexperienced and lacking fitness, a few preseason will sort that out.

Just watched the Smillie ‘highlights’ wowee he went at about 30% by hand and foot and he’s playing against kids right now..

Would be the worst option for us with our Butchers already, if we take him over Sid, Lalor or FOS I’ll give the game away.

The Nostril curse in full flight..

Thanks, I think? I honestly have no idea if you agree or disagree. But keep on punching? Or don’t?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mean to speak on behalf of the other lads, but I think they are both pretty set on FOS.

Personally I'm leaning a bit more towards Draper.

All things considered it'd be a safe bet that pick 2 would be out of: Jagga Smith, Finn O'Sullivan, Sid Draper, Josh Smillie or Harvey Langford.

Trainor & Lalor would probably be in consideration too.
I've given each player 15-20 minutes and here’s where I’ve landed:

1. Finn O’Sullivan
2. Harvey Langford
3. Jagga Smith
4. Sid Draper
5. Luke Trainor
6. Sam Lalor
7. Josh Smillie

The top 2 clear stand outs for me because of there versatility, and ability with ball in hand. Smith brilliant work in the phone box, but unsure if he could play other roles at AFL level (e.g. Will Phillips). Draper a great burst athlete and tenacious without the ball, but has that ‘bang it long’ trait that many of our mids have had over the years. Would like to have seen him lower his eyes more often. Trainer good at everything but nothing grabs you and makes you go wow. Lalor super competitor but lacks the class and athletic traits of others in consideration. Smillie too timid - no thanks

Umm corr is one of the best 1 v 1 key defender...

Midfield is just inexperienced and lacking fitness, a few preseason will sort that out.

Corr, sure. He's been quite good this year doing exactly that.

I'm talking about our next premiership team
(should have mentioned that probably, Farage)

I guess you're Muhammad (Zia)uddin Yusuf, but have been wrong once or twice previously, I'm told.

Thanks, I think? I honestly have no idea if you agree or disagree. But keep on punching? Or don’t?

Probably reading too much into it. At least I responded, take that as a positive!

Slow day ;)

Just watched the Smillie ‘highlights’ wowee he went at about 30% by hand and foot and he’s playing against kids right now..

Would be the worst option for us with our Butchers already, if we take him over Sid, Lalor or FOS I’ll give the game away.

The Nostril curse in full flight..

Another Tsatas?

Still think we should take Smillie.

He's still a pup growing into his frame. Skills, decision making all poise all good. If he develops physically along with a dose of confidence and aggression, he's a best player in the league prospect.

There's talented ~180cm mids every year. But you don't get cracks at the JK Jr, Fyfe, Bont, Cripps types too often.

We lost the #1 pick but could still get the #1 player imo.

Another Tsatas?
I think the hype he’s generated since last year is not his fault at all.

He’s a victim of following Harleys draft year. The media hype machine is looking for the next ‘generational’ inside bull and being 6’4 he’s had comparisons to Bont and Cripps but from the eye test he plays nothing like them at all.

Happy to be proven wrong but our list profile needs clean, highly skilled players with speed and endurance and Josh ain’t one.

Might be worth a later pick and see if we can get Wayl in shape.
He could be anything ..... or completely useless. Exactly the type of player we should be using late picks on. Low cost, high ceiling. I'd like us to free up some list spots by clearing out all of our low ceiling list cloggers (Laz, CJ, Will, etc.) and taking a chance on a couple of long shots like Waylon. This is the draft to do it.

Still think we should take Smillie.

He's still a pup growing into his frame. Skills, decision making all poise all good. If he develops physically along with a dose of confidence and aggression, he's a best player in the league prospect.

There's talented ~180cm mids every year. But you don't get cracks at the JK Jr, Fyfe, Bont, Cripps types too often.

We lost the #1 pick but could still get the #1 player imo.
I’m with you on this,
Melb didn’t improve rapidly until they picked kids at 18 who could compete day one against men. We ain’t getting senior bodies into help, they ain’t coming, so regardless of whether he turns into the next Cripps or Green, we can’t afford to take another Phillips early, who might come good year seven.

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

While not all of those cute flick handballs worked for him, you can just tell he is playing the game 2-3 moves in front of everyone else. Impressive smarts.

As others have said, if we are after a bull, he is not it it, but his hands draw the opposition and release running teammates. He seems to also have Hawkeye vision to cut inside on the diagonal to opine up space. He is bound to get to Geelong somehow and end up a great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back