Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m with you on this,
Melb didn’t improve rapidly until they picked kids at 18 who could compete day one against men. We ain’t getting senior bodies into help, they ain’t coming, so regardless of whether he turns into the next Cripps or Green, we can’t afford to take another Phillips early, who might come good year seven.
If we go size with a mid, we go Langford or Lalor. Smilie doesn’t play like he is 6’4”.

Still think we should take Smillie.

He's still a pup growing into his frame. Skills, decision making all poise all good. If he develops physically along with a dose of confidence and aggression, he's a best player in the league prospect.

There's talented ~180cm mids every year. But you don't get cracks at the JK Jr, Fyfe, Bont, Cripps types too often.

We lost the #1 pick but could still get the #1 player imo.
His ball use and physicality/appetite for the contest concerns me but he has got composure and moves well for his size.
I wouldn't be furious if we took him but I'd want to see the combine testing to see what his tank is like.
Could the Tigers take Smillie at 1? Maybe they are having a good look at Smith, Langford and FOS as misdirection.
I like the aggression in Lalor compared with Smillie, but Smillie is better skilled I think.

I'm leaning towards the slide from 2 to 6 and late 1st but I'll probably change my mind.
Grabbing two out of Lalor/Langford/M Reid/Trainor/Shanahan/Gerreyn/Berry/Travaglia/Whitlocks is a consideration for sure.

If we go size with a mid, we go Langford or Lalor. Smilie doesn’t play like he is 6’4”.
Any of them are good options, but I think with this draft, it’s so even we’re focusing on the negatives too much.
Smillie strengths are for his size his agility is off the charts, it’s probably a better measurement for getting out of traffic than frontline speed, especially for a guy his size, I’ve got no doubt his game will transfer to afl level.
Disposal wise, he’s 18, get him in an afl environment and it’ll improve*.
if he has the attitude to work hard on his weaknesses I think we just bite the bullet and go with the kid.

*funny I could never work out why draftees didn’t improve basic skill under brad, yet Clarko teams always seem to pull players out of their arse. Now we have Clarko, Brad has *, neither team seem to improve and hawks still pull players out of their arse.. fml

Last edited:
This was a fascinating watch as Jagga had to fight through a hard tag all game. Bottom ager Felix Kneipp got the job which he stuck to with discipline, working extra hard at stoppage to scrag and block Jagga's run and sticking with him as best he could on the spread. Jagga got frustrated at times, giving away a few retaliatory free kicks, but he mostly stuck at it and worked extra hard to break free which he managed at key moments, especially in the second half where he kicked a goal and played a role in a couple of other scoring chains.

I didn’t think they were allowed to tag in the Coates league?

I like Reid, but he isn't going to get close to matching Sheezel's output.

He is in the conversation with the top tier midfielders like FOS, Ashcroft, Draper, Smillie, Langford and Smith, but I don't think he is quite there yet. in my opinion his contested footy isn't anything outstanding, he lacks a bit of physicality and he really relies other top tier midfielders to feed him the footy. Put him in the Western Jets side as opposed to Sandy's and Metro's stacked midfield and I don't think he has anywhere near as much impact. I also think he's pace will get found at at AFL level.
99.5% of players drafted don't match Harry's output, especially before they are 20. Reid's footy iq is elite, and he has gotten the job done in all the big games. Imo It will be interesting to see how he goes in the combine and if his stocks rise or fall off the back of it.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many big-bodied mids in the league don't play like someone of their size? Especially those taken at the top end of the draft? Going back through the drafts, those 188cm+ big mid types in the top 10 have a pretty good success rate. Oliver, De Goey, Wines, Petracca, Cripps, Bont, Green. Even Will Brodie had a statistically elite season, albeit Fremantle did have to build their midfield around him.

Seems to me like their size gives these sorts of mids supreme confidence that they belong at the level. Don't think Smillie would be any different unless he has some severe mental hang-up

How many big-bodied mids in the league don't play like someone of their size? Especially those taken at the top end of the draft? Going back through the drafts, those 188cm+ big mid types in the top 10 have a pretty good success rate. Oliver, De Goey, Wines, Petracca, Cripps, Bont, Green. Even Will Brodie had a statistically elite season, albeit Fremantle did have to build their midfield around him.

Seems to me like their size gives these sorts of mids supreme confidence that they belong at the level. Don't think Smillie would be any different unless he has some severe mental hang-up

There are plenty of them that bomb too. Will Setterfield, Will Brodie, Jaxson Hately, Riley Collier-Dawkins for example over recent years.

With current mix, We need a player who is at least partially a natural forward. Play 50% plus there with goal sense, tricks, pressure. I guess that was thinking with sheezel. We need another. Phillips, powell, ldu struggle at hf. Jy might be able. Duursma may not be a mid ever. A pure mid will be tricky for balance and hybrid is the need.

I reckon if you’re going to be a big bodied mid, you have to have a pretty high amount of ‘aggression’ to be able to turn on as one of your strengths.

Oliver, Tom Green, Reid, Cripps etc

With current mix, We need a player who is at least partially a natural forward. Play 50% plus there with goal sense, tricks, pressure. I guess that was thinking with sheezel. We need another. Phillips, powell, ldu struggle at hf. Jy might be able. Duursma may not be a mid ever. A pure mid will be tricky for balance and hybrid is the need.
100%. I think the player we select with our first pick should project to be able to play in the midfield, but should already be showing the versatility to play other positions across the ground. Off my limited knowledge, that's why I see FOS suiting us more than Smith or Draper, despite both those players being more accomplished midfielders throughout this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think we should take Smillie.

He's still a pup growing into his frame. Skills, decision making all poise all good. If he develops physically along with a dose of confidence and aggression, he's a best player in the league prospect.

There's talented ~180cm mids every year. But you don't get cracks at the JK Jr, Fyfe, Bont, Cripps types too often.

We lost the #1 pick but could still get the #1 player imo.

I think playing with aggression is something that comes naturally. Some players thrive on it, some don't. Maybe it can be developed to a certain extent but often not to a level of those that naturally have it in them.

Given the likelihood of Comben playing forward from now on, I'd imagine we'd be looking at a young KPD to develop behind Logue, Corr and W Dawson.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I wouldn't give up on Kallan Dawson just yet.

His ball use and physicality/appetite for the contest concerns me but he has got composure and moves well for his size.
I wouldn't be furious if we took him but I'd want to see the combine testing to see what his tank is like.
Could the Tigers take Smillie at 1? Maybe they are having a good look at Smith, Langford and FOS as misdirection.
I like the aggression in Lalor compared with Smillie, but Smillie is better skilled I think.

I'm leaning towards the slide from 2 to 6 and late 1st but I'll probably change my mind.
Grabbing two out of Lalor/Langford/M Reid/Trainor/Shanahan/Gerreyn/Berry/Travaglia/Whitlocks is a consideration for sure.
I watched his ball use a bit from the expert vantage point of unfit couch potato.

I think he chooses the right options and has pretty clean sometimes very good skills.

A few kicks went over/under but his technique and choices look pretty sound.

He moved fluidly for any size and shows a bit of strong marking potential.

I think he'll be a slow burn but eventual winner for whoever gets him.

If we were to split our first pick into two firsts, I think my ideal pairing would be Lalor and Gerreyn. Lalor appeals because he has plenty of upside and can play multiple roles whilst adding something different to our midfield mix and Gerreyn is just a beast! Perfect compliment to Larkey.

Last edited:
Heard last night our Pick 2 is very much on the table and the price is a Top 10 pick and another 1st. Anything back depends on the position of the two picks. Target is 5-8 and 12-15. Not sure who could afford that though, maybe Tigers if all their trades go through? No mention of whether it has to be 2024 or a future. Also no mention of why we want to do it or who we would target.

Heard last night our Pick 2 is very much on the table and the price is a Top 10 pick and another 1st. Anything back depends on the position of the two picks. Target is 5-8 and 12-15. Not sure who could afford that though, maybe Tigers if all their trades go through? No mention of whether it has to be 2024 or a future. Also no mention of why we want to do it or who we would target.
Has to be GC with 6 and 13. Puts us in the ideal range for Trainor/Armstrong and Gerreyn.

Then im sure pick 2 will find its way to Richmond which is a bit scary. They'll take FOS and Smith, then Sharp next year. Thats frightening.

It's got to be the Tigs. I reckon they'll be the only ones who can satisfy that trade. Once GC and Freo move on their picks they will be the only ones. Not unless WC do some shuffling with their picks.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Richmond want to kick start their re-build with 1 & 2. Take one of the smaller classier mids (FOS/Jagga) and one of the big bodied mids (Langford/Smillie).

Sounds like a play for Trainor and one of Armstrong/Shanahan/Gerreyn maybe?..

Tiges should have plenty to choose from and may want both Jagga and FOS. Otherwise GC if they want to get ahead of the Lombard bid.

Has to be GC with 6 and 13. Puts us in the ideal range for Trainor/Armstrong and Gerreyn.

Then im sure pick 2 will find its way to Richmond which is a bit scary. They'll take FOS and Smith, then Sharp next year. Thats frightening.

I am 100% sure Tigers would want a 1-2 punch to set their midfield up considering Prestia, Martin and Bolton are all gone by the end of next year so they need an accumulator like Smith and a game breaker of their choosing. And if they have the 5-6 picks as has been touted, they could pay slightly overs for the privilege.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back