Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

give me methodical and incremental list improvement over elite players surplus to needs, every single day of the week.
koshari has a box of low voltage power adaptors in his shed. Occasionally one will come in handy but reality is, the majority are taking up space that could have been used for something more useful.

After half a decade in the doldrums, with the spectre of a wasted rebuild hanging over us, and in the absence of a generational prospect, give me methodical and incremental list improvement over elite players surplus to needs, every single day of the week.
Wasted rebuild? Far from it. Granted we (and he) would like Phillips to be performing way better. But JHF stuffed us up as well in 2021. Think about it, we got Wardlaw for him who was just runner up in the raising star. Thats not to highlight his talent, its to highlight the delayed growth its caused us. Then Goater, our second rounder in 21 misses near the entire season with a bloody achilles. George is definitely in that mix of delay due to injury with high draft capital as well.

We've got Phillips 22, Powell 22, Goater 21, Wardlaw 20, Sheezel 20, George 20.

Then last years crop the largest of them all with McKercher, Duursma, Goad, Dawson and Hardeman all in the high draft capital range. Of which not surprisingly only Colby made an impact this year.

The injuries and delays have cost us but its far from even considering it might be a wasted rebuild. Its no time to change direction now, stay the course.

I will say however, it should be pretty clear we need power runners. Thats the name of the game. Geelong have nothing special in key position players other than Cameron. But then somehow they unearth speed machines like Max Holmes with pick 20 in 2020. What id give for Phillips or Powell to have his pace and burst, the later would be a weapon of the highest order.

The finals will highlight the need for endurance, run with burst speed and why Draper must right up there in our drafting needs. Perhaps it is the year to split and address some areas, but we'll have to comeback to speed and spread after it.

Last edited:
Wasted rebuild? Far from it. Granted we (and he) would like Phillips to be performing way better. But JHF stuffed us up as well in 2021. Think about it, we got Wardlaw for him who was just runner up in the raising star. Thats not to highlight his talent, its to highlight the delayed growth its caused us. Then Goater, our second rounder in 21 misses near the entire season with a bloody achilles. George is definitely in that mix of delay due to injury with high draft capital as well.

We've got Phillips 22, Powell 22, Goater 21, Wardlaw 20, Sheezel 20, George 20.

Then last years crop the largest of them all with McKercher, Duursma, Goad, Dawson and Hardeman all in the high draft capital range. Of which not surprisingly only Colby made an impact this year.

The injuries and delays have cost us but its far from even considering it might be a wasted rebuild. Its no time to change direction now, stay the course.

I will say however, it should be pretty clear we need power runners. Thats the name of the game. Geelong have nothing special in key position players other than Cameron. But then somehow they unearth speed machines like Max Holmes with pick 20 in 2020. What id give for Phillips or Powell to have his pace and burst, the later would be a weapon of the highest order.

The finals will highlight the need for endurance, run with burst speed and why Draper must right up there in our drafting needs. Perhaps it is the year to split and address some areas, but we'll have to comeback to speed and spread after it.
Losing Thomas hurts in this regard as well. Its slows us down on field and in terms of the rebuild but is certainly not the end of the world. Tho a few years ago I would have thought losing a talent like Thomas would set us back five years. As opposed to 18 months now.

Losing Thomas hurts in this regard as well. Its slows us down on field and in terms of the rebuild but is certainly not the end of the world. Tho a few years ago I would have thought losing a talent like Thomas would set us back five years. As opposed to 18 months now.
Hell yeah, id almost had him blocked from mind

Hell yeah, id almost had him blocked from mind
Yeah its not worth wasting energy on but he was as talented as Sheeze. But if we get Duursma's development right then we'll have someone who can play nearly as well and bring just as much x factor.

2018 -21 drafts we've nothing to show from a top 10 perspective. It kills your chances.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Been looking at few players who'll be available later on in the draft. I've already mentioned Jacques, Retschko, Greggo, Evan Bradley and Jack Ough, but there are a few others I like with later picks either beyond pick 50 or in the rookie draft.

Nathaniel Sulzberger 187cm midfielder - Solidly built powerful midfielder who can role forward and kick goals. Started the season off a little slow and probably didn't have the expected impact at the championships playing for the allies,but has since improved considerably with both school and CTL league form. Had 29 disposals and kicked 3 goals in his most recent game. Really like his breakaway speed, strength over the ball, defensive intensity and his overhead marking. Has bucketloads of upside and could end up filling multiple roles across the ground.

Charlie Nicholls 197cm key forward - SA Tall forward with vicelike hands. Needs to work on his in-game decision making but he has decent forward craft and it able to find the ball up the ground as a traditional CHF. Solid athlete, who is not bad at ground level. Can rotate through the ruck, but I don't think he plays through the ruck much in the seniors. Has the body shape that will add bulk quite easily. Think there is plenty to work with there. Averaging over 2 goals per game at SANFL colts level.

James Barrat 193cm forward/defender - Handy key forward/defender who probably ends up playing more of a 3rd tall at AFL level. While he didn't have a huge impact for country in the champs, he has arguably been one of the most reliable and consistent talls in the Coates league. It hasn't mattered if he plays forward, back or even through the midfield, no matter where he plays, he has an impact. Started off the season kicking 18 goals in the first 6 games. Since that point he has been playing more as a swingman, often starting back then pushing forward later on in games. In recent week he has had multiple games where he has had over 10 rebound 50's. Barratt is such a natural footballer, he understands positioning, protecting space and times his leads/intercepting really well. Once he fills out, he is going to be a solid lad too. He is strong in the contest and is the most prolific marker in the Coates League, averaging 7.2 marks per game. Athletically he passes the eye test, but I'll be keen to see how he tests at the combine. I think at AFL level he'd be perfectly suited to playing as a 3rd tall inceptor across half back.

noobermensch uploaded a vid of this weekend's game just yesterday.

Hugh Boxshall 187cm midfielder/utility - Another taller, more powerful midfielder who is a fantastic athletic but matches that with genuine footy IQ. Is one of the better overhead marks in this draft class and he uses the ball really well. Has good balance between his inside and outside game and can play roles across half back, wing or as a centre square midfielder. He is one of those midfielders who can find time and space and never really seems rushed with his disposal. Due to his marking capacity and athletic capability, I think he has a future as a half back at AFL level.

Oliver Hannaford 180cm midfielders/forward - Up there with Tom Gross and Cody Anderson are the most defensively minded mids/half forwards in the CTL. He attacks the footy with complete disregard for his body and follows up with multiple efforts at every chance. Averages 4.5 tackles per game. Since round 10 he has been more playing across half forward and thus he is getting more chances to impact the scoreboard kicking multiple goals in 4 of the last 6 games, including a 5 goal haul against the Chargers. I think at AFL level he ends up being a dfensively minded half forward in that Bailey Banfield role for Freo. Just love the way he goes about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been looking at few players who'll be available later on in the draft. I've already mentioned Jacques, Retschko, Greggo, Evan Bradley and Jack Ough, but there are a few others I like with later picks either beyond pick 50 or in the rookie draft.

Nathaniel Sulzberger 187cm midfielder - Solidly built powerful midfielder who can role forward and kick goals. Started the season off a little slow and probably didn't have the expected impact at the championships playing for the allies,but has since improved considerably with both school and CTL league form. Had 29 disposals and kicked 3 goals in his most recent game. Really like his breakaway speed, strength over the ball, defensive intensity and his overhead marking. Has bucketloads of upside and could end up filling multiple roles across the ground.

Charlie Nicholls 197cm key forward - SA Tall forward with vicelike hands. Needs to work on his in-game decision making but he has decent forward craft and it able to find the ball up the ground as a traditional CHF. Solid athlete, who is not bad at ground level. Can rotate through the ruck, but I don't think he plays through the ruck much in the seniors. Has the body shape that will add bulk quite easily. Think there is plenty to work with there. Averaging over 2 goals per game at SANFL colts level.

James Barrat 193cm forward/defender - Handy key forward/defender who probably ends up playing more of a 3rd tall at AFL level. While he didn't have a huge impact for country in the champs, he has arguably been one of the most reliable and consistent talls in the Coates league. It hasn't mattered if he plays forward, back or even through the midfield, no matter where he plays, he has an impact. Started off the season kicking 18 goals in the first 6 games. Since that point he has been playing more as a swingman, often starting back then pushing forward later on in games. In recent week he has had multiple games where he has had over 10 rebound 50's. Barratt is such a natural footballer, he understands positioning, protecting space and times his leads/intercepting really well. Once he fills out, he is going to be a solid lad too. He is strong in the contest and is the most prolific marker in the Coates League, averaging 7.2 marks per game. Athletically he passes the eye test, but I'll be keen to see how he tests at the combine. I think at AFL level he'd be perfectly suited to playing as a 3rd tall inceptor across half back.

Hugh Boxshall 187cm midfielder/utility - Another taller, more powerful midfielder who is a fantastic athletic but matches that with genuine footy IQ. Is one of the better overhead marks in this draft class and he uses the ball really well. Has good balance between his inside and outside game and can play roles across half back, wing or as a centre square midfielder. He is one of those midfielders who can find time and space and never really seems rushed with his disposal. Due to his marking capacity and athletic capability, I think he has a future as a half back at AFL level.

Oliver Hannaford 180cm midfielders/forward - Up there with Tom Gross and Cody Anderson are the most defensively minded mids/half forwards in the CTL. He attacks the footy with complete disregard for his body and follows up with multiple efforts at every chance. Averages 4.5 tackles per game. Since round 10 he has been more playing across half forward and thus he is getting more chances to impact the scoreboard kicking multiple goals in 4 of the last 6 games, including a 5 goal haul against the Chargers. I think at AFL level he ends up being a dfensively minded half forward in that Bailey Banfield role for Freo. Just love the way he goes about it.

Just did Sulzberger:

Been looking at few players who'll be available later on in the draft.
On that note mate, is there any footage of Riley Bice this season out there (outside of watching full VFL replays)?

From descriptions he seems just about perfect for us, but I have to admit I've never seen him play.

Last edited:
How many players can a draft fit into the top dozen picks?....there seems to be 30 kids who are all going top 12.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
and they're all generational talents too. Amazing group, unprecedented.

Until next year anyway

Sulzberger would be a great addition to our midfield, he wouldn’t have to play there right away, could build him up in the VFL for multiple years. Has the full package that we need, just hasn’t put it together consistently.

Barrat reminds me a bit of Scotty Thompson. Reliable interceptor and defender, big frame for a 193cm guy. Has the form on the board in multiple positions too.

Hannaford attacks the ball like a rabid dog. Bit of Ben Keays / Beau McReery type attack. Watching him recently he seems to have nice burst too and a bit of an overhead game.

There is that much talent late in this draft, I’d be happy with just about anyone. Plenty I’ll be filthy went to other clubs too.

Just watched Jack Whitlock’s highlights, Coates Talent League- Wild Card Round and he was absolutely amazing.
24 disposals
6 clearances and 1 goal.
He is a unit and should climb to that pick 8-12 spot. If we can somehow get him that would be perfect because I really like his aggression as a tall man who can play that Tall Forward, Tall Back and Spare Ruck
I want both twins, have from the start of the year.
I don't care if they both play forward back or swing.
make it happen some how.

Sulzberger would be a great addition to our midfield, he wouldn’t have to play there right away, could build him up in the VFL for multiple years. Has the full package that we need, just hasn’t put it together consistently.

Barrat reminds me a bit of Scotty Thompson. Reliable interceptor and defender, big frame for a 193cm guy. Has the form on the board in multiple positions too.

Hannaford attacks the ball like a rabid dog. Bit of Ben Keays / Beau McReery type attack. Watching him recently he seems to have nice burst too and a bit of an overhead game.

There is that much talent late in this draft, I’d be happy with just about anyone. Plenty I’ll be filthy went to other clubs too.

The thing is with all those players is that they can play multiple positions. I think having that flexibility into the future will be a big part of our list build.

Thompson is not a bad comparison for Barrat, clean below his knees, tough and capable of intercepting.

I could see Hannaford being able to lock down on small forwards too, his agility and closing speed is deceptively quick!

True just watched the highlights now 29 and 3 snags amazing performance from him. He will suit our midfield and starting him off it that VFL squad would be a good opportunity to get him some time to develop into our team lineup, making us not stuff up a pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back