Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly! Some people are always worried about next years draft if we trade in "futures", but why? If we did do something like this we don't need to worry about next years crop and use that first round pick for better talent to come to our club like in a trade. "But what if we are in the bottom 2/3 again next year"? So what, I think we're at the stage where this year the talent we seek is right here staring at us in the face. We can fast forward our rebuild by twelve months and anyway we will be at least taking 3 players next year if we do this.

Now some people will say/think we are not at the stage to do this, really? Is it the same people that watched us play the way we did after the bye? Lastly, my favourite is "We can't get everything in this draft", um, yes we can and then we can forget about the draft and get into the mindset of positive thinking and winning and the rest will take care of itself. If you listen to the naysayers it will always be "next years draft" and "not this year" and we're not ready + this player or that player next year, NO, lets do it this year and start the rise! :north:

If you could guarantee that we would be getting Draper, Armstrong, Gerreyn plus a small forward at 25, then I'm all for it.

There's usually some media coverage when a club is open minded about splitting a high pick, like North has in years past. It doesn't feel like the same with our pick this year, at least at this stage. I guess clubs are looking to hold there position in what is labelled a strong, deep draft.

The picks that are definitely up for grabs are Gold Coast and Brisbane's picks later in the first round. It doesn't seem like we would have the point this year to satisfy a trade for either. Richmond is the big watch, but they arguably need more young talent then we do and i'd be holding my picks if i was them and getting as many shots as i can in the first round. I still think tabling a future second round pick to try and move this year P22 into the first round could be the most feasible move for us and will allow us to target a particular player and need in that 12-18 range e.g. Whitlock, Berry, Shanahan etc.

If you could guarantee that we would be getting Draper, Armstrong, Gerreyn plus a small forward at 25, then I'm all for it.
Hard to see it not being. Draper will be there at 2, Melb probably the biggest threat for Armstrong and we get ahead of them with pick 4. Then Gman should be there for our second round, but if push comes to shove we'd have 22 and 25 to trade up and make sure of it.

Hard to see it not being. Draper will be there at 2, Melb probably the biggest threat for Armstrong and we get ahead of them with pick 4. Then Gman should be there for our second round, but if push comes to shove we'd have 22 and 25 to trade up and make sure of it.
Why are Adelaide trading 4,25 for our future 1st?

Not high enough I reckon - top 20 and a chance for top 15.

89cm vertical
2.901 20m sprint
7.788 agility
960 yo-yo

Damn! His athleticism definitely passed the eye test, but that’s impressive. No wonder why he has so many repeat efforts around the contest.

A second straight 4 goal game for Harry Armstrong who appears to be firming as top key forward prospect in the pool and a top 10 fancy in the minds of many. He had a quieter period towards the end of the regular Talent League season, but has turned it on again so far in this finals series providing the forward 50 target his team needs and the goals required to push them towards yet another Dragons flag.

Why would they make a lopsided trade this year under the assumption they might get a pick high enough to secure him in 2025 when they could wait until next year to make a play?
He's likely to be pick 1. From what i understand he's viewed like a Reid or JHF talent. Their 2025 pick wont get it done, they'll likely need two firsts. Most would bank on Richmond getting pick 1, our pick next year being in the top 4 and Crows somewhere around 10. Thats probably enough for Richmond to dodge the go home factor while adding 2 more high quality players. I doubt Richmond or anyone with pick 1 would bite for their pick 10ish and their F1. So if they want the home grown gun they'll need to look at deal something like which i stated.
Im not saying it'll happen, but if they wanted to make that play they have to make it worth our while. As its stands they wont get either Sharp or Draper.

Last edited:
Potentially. I'd be trying to get a fair bit out of that deal though. I wouldn't be pulling the trigger on that if it was just Pick 4 and 25.

North Out: Pick 2, Future 3rd.

North In: Pick 4, Pick 25, Future 2nd
It’s a shame Adelaide’s pick 25 is going to the Dees for ANB. Otherwise I would happily do that trade.

He's likely to be pick 1. From what i understand he's viewed like a Reid or JHF talent. Their 2025 pick wont get it done, they'll likely need two firsts. Most would bank on Richmond getting pick 1, our pick next year being in the top 4 and Crows somewhere around 10. Thats probably enough for Richmond to dodge the go home factor while adding 2 more high quality players. I doubt Richmond or anyone with pick 1 would bite for their pick 10ish and their F1. So if they want the home grown gun they'll need to look at deal something like which i stated.
Im not saying it'll happen, but if they wanted to make that play they have to make it worth our while. As its stands they wont get either Sharp or Draper.
There is no way a list manager is giving up Pick 4 on a whim, even its for a generational talent. Every time a club has tried to trade up to secure such a player (e.g. JHF, Reid) they attempt to do in their draft year when they have all the information to hand (e.g. Is the player good, what pick will we need to get him). With the news that they are going to open up future trading next year, Adelaide will still be in reasonable position to move up to whatever pick they require to secure Sharp.

There is no way a list manager is giving up Pick 4 on a whim, even its for a generational talent. Every time a club has tried to trade up to secure such a player (e.g. JHF, Reid) they attempt to do in their draft year when they have all the information to hand (e.g. Is the player good, what pick will we need to get him). With the news that they are going to open up future trading next year, Adelaide will still be in reasonable position to move up to whatever pick they require to secure Sharp.
Well if he doesn't prove that good they'd get him straight out with our F1 and still have their pick 10ish.

They're in a powerful position either way. Again, im not saying it'll happen and probably unlikely but i wouldn't underestimate their want for Sharp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Hannaford is coming home with a wet sail in the tail end of the season. A move into the forward line has paid huge dividends for both him and the Rebels as his bags of goals have helped to propel them on an excellent run of form. He's high energy, quick and agile with a low center of gravity which lets him weave through traffic, he's surprisingly strong and capable of out wrestling opponents, and most importantly of all, he has more than a touch of audaciousness with the footy.

Man, Hannaford has rocketed to the top of my personal favourites so quickly. He reminds me of Watson just in the insane amount of confidence he plays with despite his small stature.

Every time he gets the ball he backs himself to either get away from his opponent or outmuscle them. Multiple times in that video he went for fendoffs against bigger players.

Would absolutely love for us to grab him at pick 22.

Hmmm ambiguous, reckon theres a little more go it. I get it, CCJ would just stand there.. Larky would lead backwards.. pink would drop the mark..

Ive seen our captain burn players who find space. We need smart observers with peripheral vision to find the bloke in space *sigh
I have seen W Carey Leigh Mathews Garry Ablett burn players and probably 500 other players burn team mates plenty of times,

I just met sam lalors grandmother on the train having a yarn.

Pronounced Lawlor. I thought it was Laylor

She said he was very nervous now that he has done a hamstring injury. Said to the ol boomer, not to worry, he’s probably still an early first round pick.

Said her Grandson wants to play for collingwood. Doesnt want to go interstate, would be content with any Victorian club.

Family ties to Geelong. Weird lol

Last edited:
I just met sam lalors grandmother on the train having a yarn.

Pronounced Lawlor. I thought it was Laylor

She said he was very nervous now that he has done a hamstring injury. Said to the ol boomer, not to worry, he’s probably still an early first round pick.

Said her Grandson wants to play for collingwood. Doesnt want to go interstate, would be content with any Victorian club.

Family ties to Geelong. Weird lol
Duck Yeah doing some ground work on the train. Solid.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Duck Yeah doing some ground work on the train. Solid.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
She thinks the world is woke.. societal talk was off the cards but she believes north will be a powerful club with Sheezel and Larkey leading the club. If Grandma is hearing that, means the kids are talking about it..

By the way, i am a personable and approachable person.. what can I say?

She thinks the world is woke.. societal talk was off the cards but she believes north will be a powerful club with Sheezel and Larkey leading the club. If Grandma is hearing that, means the kids are talking about it..

By the way, i am a personable and approachable person.. what can I say?

How did you spark up a conversation with Sam LaWlor’s nanna?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back