Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only way Adelaide could probably trade up is if they trade their pick 4 and F1 for our pick 2 and F2. Sending our F2 covers the trade rules as they've traded their F2 to GWS.

View attachment 2145690
I tell you what though, GC with 3x firsts just seems to happen year upon year :(

take time to develop and may as well get cracking on that now while Darling is there to have their backs over the next couple of years. There are several in this draft, if you miss out on one, there's other good prospects. Can always pick up good mids in the first round.....want to be top 3 or 4 to get elite mids though. Daresay, in Sheezel, McKercher, Wardlaw, LDU, plus Parker for a few years we have enough midfield elite talent for now, (plus powell, Will Phil, and Jy, and with Darling and Parkers arrival who knows, Curtis, Duursma, Zuurhaar could get time up the ground). Reckon we need to go tall, preferably split 2 and trade next years picks into this year.
I don’t disagree at all. And think we should. More so from a forward line perspective.

But you’ve seen how the club operates. Chom was the last KP they went moderately high for as a forward (maybe even the CCJ trade).

I just don’t think they have the confidence in them to miss out on almost a guarantee player in say Draper, FOS, Lalor, FOS or Langford and go for a KP or Trainor/ Tauru.

I can see them in trying to take Tauru or Trainor if they’re able to still take another mid in the top 10, however they get it done

But the club has always said they don’t need to use top picks on KPP. So why would that change this time?
Yes but as Alastair has said, the trade/free agency hasn't worked for us so we have to go the draft to get what we want and with the elite players we have brought in + the experience from this trade period we wont be picking a key forward in the second or third round, if you go best talent and apply that to key position players I think the first round is where its going to happen. The only way it wouldn't, would be if we traded our future first and used that to get what we want and use our pick 2 on one of the gun mids but that would be interesting if we did that.

yeah brady has said as much also

only way we split 2 is if we still get a pick within a couple of places

there is no real imagination needed here it is 2 for 6 and 10/11 or nothing at all
That is spot on! The only other two teams that could trade up to get their star midfielder to get in front of the Blues is Melbourne or St Kilda, they have a choice to make if they haven't already, pick two good players or get that elite midfielder that both teams need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s not 6 and 10/11 prior to, then wait till draft night.
Worse case scenario, nothin wrong with FOS or Lalor either. Think we can fit em in.
Our F1 and/or F2 can get us a KPF
I’m super keen on Tauru and Armstrong, obviously, so still holding out hopes there. Think Trainor will slide to, which is sad for the kid, but he could still end up at North. Lots to play out yet.

I really want to give a rookie spot to Keighton Matofai Forbes.
Have never ever in my life seen a kid kick the ball like he does.
And is as tough as old boots
I’ve tracked down a bit more about this kid. Another from the Jets would suit me. Love tough buggers with lethal left legs. Rookie spot would be great if available and we have the spot.

If it’s not 6 and 10/11 prior to, then wait till draft night.
Worse case scenario, nothin wrong with FOS or Lalor either. Think we can fit em in.
Our F1 and/or F2 can get us a KPF
I’m super keen on Tauru and Armstrong, obviously, so still holding out hopes there. Think Trainor will slide to, which is sad for the kid, but he could still end up at North. Lots to play out yet.
I agree. I really like the look of Lalor in particular if we keep pick #2.

WillPhill isn’t best 22 at this stage and the outside of Wardlaw and LDU to a slightly lesser extent, the rest of our mids + a Lalor/FOS are quite versatile and aren’t exactly one-dimensional centre square midfielders
Therefore I think the idea of us bringing in another elite midfielder while not as idealistic as a KPP, is far from the end of the world.

Assuming players avg around 70-80% TOG, something like this still looks really, really good to me:
-LDU 75 mid
-Wardlaw 70 mid
-Lalor (or FOS) 50/25 fwd
-Sheezel 40/40 fwd
-Simpkin 25/50 fwd
-McKercher 25/50 wing
-Parker 20/55 fwd

Would we do pick 2 & F1
for Tigers 6,10 & 18?
They may want to move some picks into next years draft & would no doubt love to get picks 1 & 2 this year.
We come away with 3 top 20 picks in good spots to target high quality needs (Key Position x 2 & Small Forward)
I know most here will say that it not enough for us in return, but this is a very good draft by all reports & only having one decent pick is not ideal…
Yep id say that deal is pretty fair for both parties . I’d do it

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back