Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure who made this vid but he knows his stuff..

Apologies if it’s been posted before.

It's a decent video but it really made me think that we might already be 1.5 years down almost the exact path that he is talking about.

We're drafting pretty well, in my opinion (Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, McKercher, Duursma, Goad, Hardeman, Dawson).

We've added some experienced players in Logue, Tucker, Shiels, Fisher, Stephens. Not perfect but it's a focus.

We've invested in experienced assistant and development coaches (Clarke - Tigers, Adcock - Lions, Barlow - VFL) and guys like Viney and Thursfield. The video talks like they were all here for years, but they are new.

I think that we'll aim to bring in more experienced players this year. Wines? Parker? Berry? Lobb? Haynes? Battle?

I agree with what they say about Zurhaar and someone like Phillips. I like them both but a decision needs to be made. Especially on Phillips. Either trade him or play him.

We might have most of the midfield and spine of our next finals team with LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Powell, McKercher, Larkey, Dawson, Comben, Logue, Xerri.

If we can add a few more experienced players this trade period (preferably who can play) and a few fringe guys hit on their development then we might look back at this as 1.5 years into when things started changing.

With tig's win, pick 1 is assured. Smilie will be an immense addition to our mid.

Great news allround.

Re the tv coverage of this Sunday’s games….

Fox have updated their tv guide now and sure enough, Vic Metro v Allies is live from 10.30am followed by the Vic Country v SA game which will also be televised live on the Fox Footy channel.

Our talent identification is pathetic - getting hits on the first round should be a given but hitting the mark in the second round and latter is where you should be judged.
I think you're right, but I would add this has been a problem for at least 15 years - we've treated picks in the 20s and 30s as confetti - Nielson, Williams, Watson, walker, the list goes on

Fox have updated their tv guide now and sure enough, Vic Metro v Allies is live from 10.30am followed by the Vic Country v SA game which will also be televised live on the Fox Footy channel.
Sunday morning? I'll have to remember to switch over from World of Sport on 7.

With tig's win, pick 1 is assured. Smilie will be an immense addition to our mid.

Great news allround.
Is it though?

From reports on here, his strengths are accumulation, agility for his size, neat skills and superior smarts.

Is it precisely what we need to fill the holes in:

1)CHF
2)Crumbing forward
3)Contested bull mid
4)Developing CHF
5)Developing ruck

Thanks GR

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a decent video but it really made me think that we might already be 1.5 years down almost the exact path that he is talking about.

We're drafting pretty well, in my opinion (Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, McKercher, Duursma, Goad, Hardeman, Dawson).

We've added some experienced players in Logue, Tucker, Shiels, Fisher, Stephens. Not perfect but it's a focus.

We've invested in experienced assistant and development coaches (Clarke - Tigers, Adcock - Lions, Barlow - VFL) and guys like Viney and Thursfield. The video talks like they were all here for years, but they are new.

I think that we'll aim to bring in more experienced players this year. Wines? Parker? Berry? Lobb? Haynes? Battle?

I agree with what they say about Zurhaar and someone like Phillips. I like them both but a decision needs to be made. Especially on Phillips. Either trade him or play him.

We might have most of the midfield and spine of our next finals team with LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Powell, McKercher, Larkey, Dawson, Comben, Logue, Xerri.

If we can add a few more experienced players this trade period (preferably who can play) and a few fringe guys hit on their development then we might look back at this as 1.5 years into when things started changing.

Yes, well, retrofitting a theory once success has been achieved is much easier than observing a theory in action when there have been no early signs of improvement. The ambitious trades and draft manoeuvrings only look brilliant when they result in ultimate success. Otherwise, it all just looks like dumbarsery.

Having pick 1 in this draft just doesn’t feel as good as it would/did have the last few years.
Let's just wait until after the championships to see who emerges as the top prospect. There may not be a Harley Reid among this cohort but if we can nab another Harry Sheezel or Colby McKercher quality player, then I'd be happy with that.

As an aside, imagine if there was no Coates League and no national championships this year and we were trying to figure out who the best 18 year old would be based on their underage performance the year before. No wonder 2020 was such a bust.

Having pick 1 in this draft just doesn’t feel as good as it would/did have the last few years.

It's a real kick in the balls that there isn't an out and out gun destined for pick 1 in this years draft. Just our luck that the year we finally decide to keep pick 1 that it's not quite to the level of previous years (Reid/JHF ect)

It's a real kick in the balls that there isn't an out and out gun destined for pick 1 in this years draft. Just our luck that the year we finally decide to keep pick 1 that it's not quite to the level of previous years (Reid/JHF ect)
Sure, but there also isn't an out and out gun destined for pick 1 who is academy or father-son tied to another club. And there isn't a global pandemic locking out under 18s competition. So glass half full, if we remain on the bottom of the ladder, at least we get first choice of the kid with best exposed form at this year's national championships.

You know I’m starting to wonder if Reid was supposed to be the first piece in Clarkson’s rebuild puzzle that mirrors his luck at Hawthorn. Rebuild, but have a few generational talents around that make the whole thing transition smoothly

You know I’m starting to wonder if Reid was supposed to be the first piece in Clarkson’s rebuild puzzle that mirrors his luck at Hawthorn. Rebuild, but have a few generational talents around that make the whole thing transition smoothly
You better tell Harley he’s in the wrong state

Not sure Clarkson's strategy for 2023 was to tank for a specific kid only to then butcher his own strategy at the end.

Not sure Clarkson's strategy for 2023 was to tank for a specific kid only to then butcher his own strategy at the end.

Im only saying this because how his mood shifted in that conference yesterday when the reporter made that comment. I was kinda expecting him to laugh it off but there was totally a mood shift

Im only saying this because how his mood shifted in that conference yesterday when the reporter made that comment. I was kinda expecting him to laugh it off but there was totally a mood shift
He could have seen the question as an unnecessary slight on the 2 kids we picked up.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back