Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How do they actually work? Do Suns just pick the best young talent and put them in their academy? can a player be a young gun and not be in an academy?
You can do what sydney does, find good young talent then offer scholarships into prestige sydney schools, hide them away to find “bargain” Basement A graders.

After watching these games today think we need to grow a pair and trade out pick 1 for positional needs. GC have 2 first rounders ( 1 their own & 1 tied to Bulldogs ) let’s hope they both don’t make finals and 2 top 10 picks might be on offer for 1…they then get in an elite talent & before and bids for Leo Lombard.

We then can target a small forward & CPF…thinking Kako / Joe Berry & Shanahan / Whitlock ????

Because the clubs are going to continue investing their own money into the northern academies so they can get access to no one who’s any good.

Makes sense.
I think we all know that the AFL funds the northern academies in one way or another

Just dropping in with my yearly ‘Academys should be centralised and run by the AFL in each state with players available to any club’.

Play on.
Most kids with athletic talent will just play something else.

Jesus, how hard is it to understand?

People need to separate the concept from the price paid, two completely different things.

You can do what sydney does, find good young talent then offer scholarships into prestige sydney schools, hide them away to find “bargain” Basement A graders.
WCE do it too , plenty of room to hide them over there lol

Smillie has already separated himself in the first half of the year

He can coast now
If that's his mindset (not saying that it is) then I wouldn't use our 2nd rounder on him.

I want more Wardlaw, Comben, Xerri mindsets. Players who get competitive playing kick to kick in the back yard. It should be a prerequisite.

Most kids with athletic talent will just play something else.

Jesus, how hard is it to understand?

People need to separate the concept from the price paid, two completely different things.

Also, the manner in which Victorian clubs have raided GWS and GC in particular of high draftees as soon as they come out of contract is what justifies the need to place as many NSW and QLD talented players at the northern clubs to rule out the go home factor as the reason for them to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, the manner in which Victorian clubs have raided GWS and GC in particular of high draftees as soon as they come out of contract is what justifies the need to place as many NSW and QLD talented players at the northern clubs to rule out the go home factor as the reason for them to leave.
complaining about the northern academies is howling at the moon - the game is financially dependent on the TV deal which is considerably better than the NRL because it's a national competition; the northern clubs therefore have to be competitive, and the academies are the way to ensure they are

Remove this Banner Ad

Back