Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

roos_fanatic08 sold me on Tobie!! Reads it very well, better in the air than Hardeman with the latter more an attacking HB - Tobie would be great in our backline, maybe release Goater to his more natural position as a winger or retires LMac.

Draper did some nice thing but I thought the headband Camporale was SA's best mid.

Whitlock twins would just cover our need for a KPD and KPF in one draft.

Argh..if we only had another 4-5 picks in the first round.

I like him another to consider at our second round pick

Can he be someone that also takes the third tall forward if a team has one?

Logue and comben with travaglia would be athletic and intercept at will

Not sure he’ll be there. If he keeps up the sort of form he showed today he’ll fly into the top 10 come the end of the year. He was really solid in the academy games earlier this year too.

He is at home playing on either smalls or talls. Very versatile player.

Always been a real lean kid. I don’t think he’ll struggle to put on size once he is in a full time environment though.

He doesn’t have that real worst frame like Scott.

His dad had one of the best physiques I’ve seen (outside of gym roid heads) so I’d be surprised if River can’t pack on muscle.

roos_fanatic08 sold me on Tobie!! Reads it very well, better in the air than Hardeman with the latter more an attacking HB - Tobie would be great in our backline, maybe release Goater to his more natural position as a winger or retires LMac.

Draper did some nice thing but I thought the headband Camporale was SA's best mid.

If we split 1, then we could go into this draft with a bounty of top 30 picks. As well as shoring up our draft hand next year. There is a lot to play out especially because Brisbane, Adelaide & GC have academy/Fathers sons that will be bid on early in the draft. Adelaide could sell the farm to get a shot at Draper before a Welsh bid.

There are so many kids in this top 30 that would suit our list build perfectly.

Small forwards - Kako, Berry, Champion & Bradley

Tall Defenders - Trainor, O’Farrell, M.Whitlock & Mraz

Tall Forwards - Shanahan, J.Whitlock, & Faull.

Athletic Utilities - Travaglia, Langford, Allen, Lalor & Hynes.

Even factoring in his underage status, Dursma didn’t impress me much.

No way he’s KP

Hasn’t really played as a KP for Gippsland. Plays more as an offensive winger or high half forward lead up type player. Basically plays like Nik Cox from the bombers.

I have Ludowyke ahead of him for next years draft.

I want both.
That's the funny thing...Jack was touted as the more natural footballer coming into this draft year but Matt's year so far, he has shown he can play back and forward and likes to get up the ground from defence and have an impact..i think Jacks better ruck craft than his brother - very very similar to the King twins from memory when Max was more hyped up as forward and Ben the defender.

That's the funny thing...Jack was touted as the more natural footballer coming into this draft year but Matt's year so far, he has shown he can play back and forward and likes to get up the ground from defence and have an impact..i think Jacks better ruck craft than his brother - very very similar to the King twins from memory when Max was more hyped up as forward and Ben the defender.
I don’t even care if we have two 200cm swingers on the list, they can both go forward and back depending on how well we’re playing..
bring out the pineapples

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we split 1, then we could go into this draft with a bounty of top 30 picks. As well as shoring up our draft hand next year. There is a lot to play out especially because Brisbane, Adelaide & GC have academy/Fathers sons that will be bid on early in the draft. Adelaide could sell the farm to get a shot at Draper before a Welsh bid.

There are so many kids in this top 30 that would suit our list build perfectly.

Small forwards - Kako, Berry, Champion & Bradley

Tall Defenders - Trainor, O’Farrell, M.Whitlock & Mraz

Tall Forwards - Shanahan, J.Whitlock, & Faull.

Athletic Utilities - Travaglia, Langford, Allen, Lalor & Hynes.
Who do you think out of all the teams would want the number 1 pick. Also who do we trade it to too benefit us the most.

1, 39 & F3 to GC
8, 11 & 26 back

8 - Trainor
11 - Kako
21 - M Whitlock
26 - Langford
57 - Stevens
Can’t be giving up 1 and dropping that far back in the draft, need a pick < 5 as part of any deal if we’re trading pick 1.

Last edited:
Can’t be giving up 1 and drooping that far back in the draft, need a pick < 5 as part of any deal if we’re trading pick 1.
Won’t happen in this draft because it’s so even, if we want multiple first rounders we have to expect to start at 8 or 9.

Otherwise we stay with pick one and twiddle our thumbs until pick 21+ change with FA’s & Academy crap..

Split 1+40 and trade for GC 8,11,20.

End up with: 8,11,20 (Zurhaar), 21 (GC), 22 (Native 2nd).

Pick the eyes out of the best KPP, Small forwards and inside mid we can and round out the list.

Smillie just does not seem to round out our list by comparison.

Last edited:
You don't think we want at least a pick in the top 5?
If they are all going to be mids (it’s very early but) at this stage: O’Sullivan, Smith, Moreas, Smillie, Ashcroft, Draper, Trainor are the top 6. All but one are mids.

Be bold, we can pick an inside bull with a few awesome traits later in the draft. We are still needing to correct the wayward and foolish list management of the past. 1 pick will not do this.

Kako has looked so dangerous, pushes up the ground gets involved, but the most impressive thing is his ground balls inside forward such a clean and balanced ground level player.
Good summary roos_fanatic08, his tackling with his skills are also a feature and that spin around goal, ha ha ha ha, he just knows where the goals are doesn't he?

We might be in a bit of predicament if a player is unable to separate themselves across the champs as pick 1. Trading down seems like the best option for mine but what would motivate a club to move up 1 in such an even draft pool.
What motivates a club to move up to the number 1 pick is extreme talent and what that player can do for their team, another important factor lost on all this, is where certain players are on their list eg: what order they have them in.
I keep hearing its an even draft but I can guarantee you that if the top clubs could get get say Josh Smillie, Finn O'Sullivan, or even Sid Draper they would probably break their leg trying to get them!

As it is its not so easy, so the actual answer is different clubs {recruiters} will have different ideas on who and at what possible cost to them. Finn, Josh and Sid are a level above most of the others otherwise it might be an even draft but as it stands now this is certainly not the case, still half the champs to play out and then the rest of the year but if you have a pick in the top 3 then in my opinion you have cards to play and what you do with regards to strategy only the coach, recruiter and two or three other people will know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back