Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of posters were saying we should trade our F1 last year. As it stands had we done it we’d have traded pick 1. I think we’re at least a couple of years away from trading our F1.
I think it's a much safer bet next year rather than this year. I'm not advocating we will 'win' the trade. Probably still finish bottom 6 next year.

What I am advocating for is getting a core cluster of players within a few years age of each other.

If we keep our first pick next year and bring in a KPP, it will take another 3-4 years for them to mature.

By that time Corr, Logue, Larkey, Zurhaar, Simpkin, Fisher will be on the wrong side of 30 as an example.

Sheezel, Wardlaw, George*, McKercher, Duursma, Dawson, Hardeman, Goad* plus as it stands right now, pick 1 & 21

If we aren't competitive with that list moving forward, I think we're cooked.

I think it's a much safer bet next year rather than this year. I'm not advocating we will 'win' the trade. Probably still finish bottom 6 next year.

What I am advocating for is getting a core cluster of players within a few years age of each other.

If we keep our first pick next year and bring in a KPP, it will take another 3-4 years for them to mature.

By that time Corr, Logue, Larkey, Zurhaar, Simpkin, Fisher will be on the wrong side of 30 as an example.

Sheezel, Wardlaw, George*, McKercher, Duursma, Dawson, Hardeman, Goad* plus as it stands right now, pick 1 & 21

Fair enough, I think it’s a year too soon not many supporters thought we’d have pick 1 this year and yet here we are.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I think it’s a year too soon not many supporters thought we’d have pick 1 this year and year here we are.
I still don’t think we will. I’m thinking we’ll finish above eagles and tigers. If we keep up the form of the last few weeks I think we can win 3 of Suns, Tigers, Eagles, Geelong and Hawthorn.

The only team that might want to trade out is GC with 8 and 10* (*Dogs pick could be further back).
And any changes to the academy and F/S rules will have an impact on what teams do.

I'd rather we slide back to the Crows pick and get Trainor and another kid if it's about a cluster of players.

The only team that might want to trade out is GC with 8 and 10* (*Dogs pick could be further back).
And any changes to the academy and F/S rules will have an impact on what teams do.

I'd rather we slide back to the Crows pick and get Trainor and another kid if it's about a cluster of players.

Depending what happens with our pick and form of Draper the Crows might be happy to trade up to ensure they get the local kid.

The draft capsule: How to solve recruiting's hindsight problem

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1162879

Lmfao, all that is so the media can spew shit in a years time and say how badly XYZ team did compared to ABC team because they took player 1 instead of player 3 and how they predicted that a certain team did better than another.

Cue “Gettable” hourly podcast run daily for the 23 weeks leading up to draft eon.

The clubs don’t need it, the only revisionism going on is coming from media outlets (maybe some on Bigfooty, but that still not relevant enough to warrant it).

**** the media why give them more ammo to pound the shit out of clubs, it would be like supplying them with infinite MLRS’s to keep firing shots at people for decades to come.

Wouldn't mind Sid running around in blue and white if we miss O'Sullivan.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The footy landscape has changed so much in the last 5 years alone.

It's open season on draftees from even before they are drafted. Im sure there's currently plans being hatched by Ben Williams in regards to Sid Draper in the event he ends up outside SA.

Sad reality is, Draper will be white anted from the day he sets foot in the joint.

Just like Harley Reid is currently at West Coast, it might take a few years, but the chances of him spending his career entirely with West Coast are 50/1. This with West Coast being by FAR the wealthiest club in the comp.

Just like Dyson Sharpe will be with whomever lands him next year.

Just like there's already murmurings around Dan Curtin.

The SA clubs particularly are probably the worst at it.

South Australian's in general are a parochial lot, which applies to their players as well and draftees have never had a bigger sense of entitlement or contractual freedom.

With the likes of Smillie, FOS, Trainor, Lalor, I'd be steering well clear of him for no other reason than we don't need to deal with that crap for any of their careers.

Can you imagine if Wardlaw or Sheezel were a SA or WA prospect at the moment? We can actually enjoy these guys in the knowledge they are likely Shinboners for life if we can look after them.

Last edited:

It's open season on draftees from even before they are drafted. Im sue there's currently plans being hatched by Ben Williams in regards to Sid Draper in the event he ends up outside SA.

Sad reality is, Draper will be white anted from the day he sets foot in the joint.

Just like Harley Reid is currently at West Coast, it might take a few years, but the chances of him spending his career entirely with West Coast are 50/1.

South Australian's in general are a parochial lot, which applies to their players as well.
Yep and I think the AFL had a chance to do something about it with the Judas fiasco, but they remained complicit and silent in it. That was their opportunity to stamp that stuff out and they didn’t take it.

Yep and I think the AFL had a chance to do something about it with the Judas fiasco, but they remained complicit and silent in it. That was their opportunity to stamp that stuff out and they didn’t take it.

In fairness, they upped the minimum draft contract to 3 years.

It doesn't solve the issue though, as JHF himself was contracted.

The AFLPA are the biggest campaigners/problem in the game at present and have been for decades.

It's open season on draftees from even before they are drafted. Im sure there's currently plans being hatched by Ben Williams in regards to Sid Draper in the event he ends up outside SA.

Just like Harley Reid is currently at West Coast, it might take a few years, but the chances of him spending his career entirely with West Coast are 50/1. This with West Coast being by FAR the wealthiest club in the comp.

Just like there's already murmurings around Dan Curtin.

South Australian's in general are a parochial lot, which applies to their players as well and draftees have never had a bigger sense of entitlement or contractual freedom.

With the likes of Smillie, FOS, Trainor, Lalor, I'd be steering well clear of him for no other reason than we don't need to deal with that crap for any of their careers.

Can you imagine if Wardlaw or Sheezel were a SA or WA prospect at the moment? We can actually enjoy these guys in the knowledge they are likely Shinboners for life if we can look after them.
All valid points. Wouldn't mind him in blue and white is all.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

which picks from who?
Saints, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Gold Coast are all in the sweet spot at this current stage of the year.

Would love Richmond or WC's current pick, but I don't think that will happen.

The numbers don't jump off the page, but for me this was Trainor's best Champs performance to date. He was matched up on the dangerous Tyler Welsh, and kept him quiet for the first three quarters before conceding a couple of aerial contests late. We saw the kind of defender that he's likely to become at AFL level, someone that's capable of taking on those tricky forwards that push up high up the ground and into the midfield forcing matchup chaos like Jeremy Cameron and Jake Stringer. Trainor has the running power and ground level ability to thrive higher up the ground while still being strong enough in the air to deal with deeper contests and 1v1s.

Saints, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Gold Coast are all in the sweet spot at this current stage of the year.

Would love Richmond or WC's current pick, but I don't think that will happen.
do any of them have 2 top ten picks?

The numbers don't jump off the page, but for me this was Trainor's best Champs performance to date. He was matched up on the dangerous Tyler Welsh, and kept him quiet for the first three quarters before conceding a couple of aerial contests late. We saw the kind of defender that he's likely to become at AFL level, someone that's capable of taking on those tricky forwards that push up high up the ground and into the midfield forcing matchup chaos like Jeremy Cameron and Jake Stringer. Trainor has the running power and ground level ability to thrive higher up the ground while still being strong enough in the air to deal with deeper contests and 1v1s.

Looks like a tall flanker. Not really seeing the intercept marking he was touted for

do any of them have 2 top ten picks?

Gold Coast - 8 & 10 currently.

Some people need to be careful however.

We still have to resolve the following FA contracts/decisions:

Zurhaar (TBC x 6 on floated by Collingwood apparently)
Battle (TBC x 6 floated by Hawthorn apparently
English
Cumming (800 x 6 on offer from Hawthorn apparently)
Perryman

Then there's bids for Lombard, Ashcroft that will push back top 10 picks.

It's unlikely, but there is a chance with the cap increase there could be 2-3 Band 1 outcomes this year.

Depending on where GWS finish vs GC could determine the strength of some of these picks.

Both those GC picks might be in the teens come draft night.

Looks like a tall flanker. Not really seeing the intercept marking he was touted for

I agree that's probably the case.

In saying that I'd say he was told to stick tight and highlight some of his defensive acumen in this particular game. He wasn't given as much attacking freedom or space, compared to his usual roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back