Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot take but I wouldn't be mad with Kako over Smilie or Trainor

Which might be proven correct in 5 years.

I think Kako has the lowest floor in this entire draft pool.

The problem with Smillie is, he has one of the highest ceilings, which is what recruiters will often favour at the pointy end.

I've no doubt Kako is going to be an AA caliber small forward.

I think his floor as a minimum, is going to be a Willie Rioli level small.

His ceiling is a Cyril/Eddie Betts - the best small forward in the comp.

In fact I think it more likely he's on the Cyril end, than the W.Rioli end of the scale. He just has too many intangibles, he's too clean, too damaging, too powerful not to be a complete nightmare at AFL level.

He's got the body shape that he's going to fill out into pocket rocket like Boomer/Papley also.

I will be very interested to see where Twoomey places him in a few weeks.

If he's well inside the top 10 (which is a possibility given Nick Watson went at #5 last year and Isaac is having arguably a better season), then it is going to be an interesting decision for us.

If he is outside the top 10, we need to do anything we can to get in a position to take him. It would be absolutely criminal if he landed at a finals team. Akin to when Cyril landed at the Hawks.

In fact, he could actually land at the Hawks and a Kako/Watson combo would be sickening.

He's is the one player in and around the top 10 that absolutely nails shut one of our biggest list needs, in his playing style, athletic profile etc.

Last edited:

The problem with Smillie is, he has one of the highest ceilings, which is what recruiters will often favour at the pointy end.

In fact I think it more likely he's on the Cyril end, than the W.Rioli end of the scale. He just has too many intangibles, he's too clean, too damaging, too powerful not to be a complete nightmare at AFL level.

He's got the body shape that he's going to fill out into pocket rocket like Boomer/Papley also.

If he's well inside the top 10 (which is a possibility given Nick Watson went at #5 last year and Isaac is having arguably a better season), then it is going to be an interesting decision for us.

If he is outside the top 10, we need to do anything we can to get in a position to take him. It would be absolutely criminal if he landed at a finals team. Akin to when Cyril landed at the Hawks.

In fact, he could actually land at the Hawks and a Kako/Watson combo would be sickening.

He's is the one player in and around the top 10 that absolutely nails shut one of our biggest list needs, in his playing style, athletic profile etc.
Would you trade out next years first (90% chance to be a top 5) to get him in the top ten and some change?

Eg: F1st, pick 40 > GC pick 8, 9?

The Crow's need an elite midfielder, or one that's going to be very good, I wouldn't be surprised if Hamish Ogilvie has these four players at the top : Finn O'Sullivan/ Josh Smillie/ Sid Draper/ Sam Lalor. I know they have wraps on Luke Pedlar who went pick 11 in the 2020 AFL draft, has had some injuries and been playing on the forward line as well as a little bit of time in the middle, just needs to get a couple of seasons under the belt with no injuries.

Is Sid Draper falling down the order after his Nationals?

Hynes produced an excellent performance in Vic Country's second Champs outing. Playing in his typical medium forward role with occasional stints through the middle, he presented as a marking target all around the ground and drew the footy like a magnet. He was effective at stoppage with his size and strength and capped off his day by snapping a couple of nice goals, the last at a critical moment in the fourth quarter.

Are you saying he is the equal to the Wiz or better?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen this article on our board, apologies if it has been posted before.

Luke Trainor: The premier interceptor in a draft full of midfielders

Luke Trainor: The premier interceptor in a draft full of midfielders​

Jasper Chellappah
Jul 3, 2024, 09:00 AM

In a draft overflowing with midfielders, Luke Trainor stands tall as the premier key defender on offer. The spring-heeled interceptor plays a free-wheeling solo act off halfback, trusting his judgement to chop off attacking forays and kickstart transition.

The North Melbourne fan has been so dominant in his top-age campaign he'll have the Arden Street recruiters contemplating his talents at what is currently pick one in the 2024 AFL Draft. He already boasts deep roots with the football club, being the grandson of champion 1000-goalkicker Doug Wade.

Trainor's confidence in taking the game on separates him from the chasing pack of talls. At 194cm, he isn't a true key position height, but plays taller with a 77cm vertical jump and elite closing speed that helps him to recover when out of position. Trainor isn't often out of position, though. Playing as a forward through the junior ranks - until a move into defence for the Sandringham Dragons - has helped his proactiveness and reading of the play.

It translates to ultra-aggressive positioning, zoning off his opponent and flying for his marks.

It's an apt comparison to Essendon best and fairest Jordan Ridley, who reads the play superbly and distributes with aplomb off halfback. But Trainor is a more eager offensive rebounder. He will link up multiple times in attacking chains and has a quick trigger on his penetrating right foot when he spots teammates upfield.
Luke Trainor in action for the AFL Academy. Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

The Dragons star was named best afield for the AFL Academy against VFL side Coburg. It proved his bold style stacks up with the bigger bodies and cemented the interceptor's top-10 credentials. He's gone on to average three intercept marks per outing in the Coates Talent League and in the National Championships is ranked elite for a key defender in disposals (20.7), marks (5.7), tackles (2.7) and score involvements (3.3).

The knock on Trainor has been his limited work in shutting down opposition key forwards. For club and country he played a third tall intercepting role, but for Vic Metro against South Australia on the weekend he put those doubts to rest. Lining up on Crows father-son gun Tyler Welsh, Trainor held the physical forward goalless through three quarters. He sacrificed his intercepting game to rein in SA's most damaging forward.
The spring-heeled Luke Trainor stands tall amongst a bevy of midfielders at the top of this draft. Could the North Melbourne fan land at Arden St? He's a top-three chance thanks to a brilliant campaign to date.

Trainor's #AFLDraft profile drops on @ESPNAusNZ tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/udTJkWqwhX
— Jasper Chellappah (@Jasperc53) July 2, 2024
Star midfielders Murphy Reid and Levi Ashcroft deservedly stole the headlines, but Trainor vaulted his draft stocks as much as anyone. In a draft as even as 2024, his ability to nullify the influence of one of the best key forwards in the crop will be highly valued by recruiters. His stock is as high as it's been all year.

Richmond, West Coast, St Kilda and Adelaide are in the market for premium midfielders. Those sides make up four of the top five picks in November's draft right now. North Melbourne at pick one is a different story, having selected a midfielder in the top four of the past four drafts.

Their options are open in such an even pool dominated by on-ballers. The club could split its prized selection, lure an established key position player to Arden Street, or stay put. Victorian midfielders Josh Smillie and Finn O'Sullivan have long been coveted as the best players this year. But the gap between them and Trainor is closing. By the end of the season, North could be reading out Luke Trainor's name as not just the best positional fit, but as the best available prospect. It would be a match made in Shinboner heaven for the lifelong Roo.

Last edited:
No one loved the Wiz more than me, he's up there with him.

He's having the same impact and has a similar ceiling at AFL level.

I need to see some athletic testing for Kako.

Kako probably doesn’t have the top line speed that Watson had, and probably isn’t as good aerially. But if wanted one of them to be kicking for goal or distributing the footy inside 50, I’d 100% take Kako, I think his kicking and decision making are two of his biggest assets along with overall footy IQ.

Kako probably doesn’t have the top line speed that Watson had, and probably isn’t as good aerially. But if wanted one of them to be kicking for goal or distributing the footy inside 50, I’d 100% take Kako, I think his kicking and decision making are two of his biggest assets along with overall footy IQ.

He's absolutely quick and powerful enough.

Not everyone needs to be Rankine, it helps, but as you said, he has other strengths.

The important point is, he doesn't have Jack Mahoney foot speed.

He's absolutely quick and powerful enough.

Not everyone needs to be Rankine, it helps, but as you said, he has other strengths.

The important point is, he doesn't have Jack Mahoney foot speed.
Granted I’ve only seen footage of him so far but his agility , decision making & peripheral vision looks at the elite level .

Kako just has to be as clever as Watson, Rakine and any of the top small forward tiprats!!

Gunna be interesting how we play the draft this year and what we priortise in an even draft - best available? Who is the best available or is it the best available midfielder that suits our profile? What if we finished above Richmondand WCE. does that change things? How do we split pick 2 or 3 etc etc

Kako just has to be as clever as Watson, Rakine and any of the top small forward tiprats!!

Gunna be interesting how we play the draft this year and what we priortise in an even draft - best available? Who is the best available or is it the best available midfielder that suits our profile? What if we finished above Richmondand WCE. does that change things? How do we split pick 2 or 3 etc etc
Yep will be interesting. I think key forward would have to be top of the list but they might be happy just taking one of Shanahan/Gerryn/Sims at the 2nd rounder over splitting/trading up for Whitlock/Faull for example.
Plenty of small forward options in all the rounds but who do they really want. We won't be the only team wanting Kako.
The Bombers would be trying like hell to get him as well that's for sure. They might put their F1 on the table.

And then there's the potential compensation/trade situations with Zurhaar, Battle, Baker and potentially Logan Mc or Curtin which could throw a complete spanner in the works.
Then there's the finishing position's on the ladder with GC/Bombers/Port/Cats or Dogs finish in finals that might impact where the GC picks sit.

How does he compare to Watson in terms of pressure and tackling?

It will be very interesting. If we do finish last we may entertain sliding back a couple of spots if we had our eye on Trainor and one of the other clubs around us wanted to get a particular player. Could be similar to 2022, with a few clubs involved a we get an additional first rounder.
Or we may try and move on a future pick to get another kid through the door this year.

And we thought last years build up to the draft was an emotional shit storm.
The he read on trainor makes it even more difficult.
What I don’t get is, they say he can nullify forwards, but hasn’t shut any down?
Likes to rebound?
A taller McDonald with family roots?
NEXT!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back