Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Has very good vision, with the skills and decision making to match.

Very underdone today, but some snippets of his potential there.

Unfortunately, FOS hasn’t got many more chances to play this year, with the VC Vs VM game to come, leaving only a 3/4 games for Oakleigh in the Coates League. Seems unlikely at this stage that the Oakleigh will play finals.
What I like about him from our point of view is that team-first attitude plus he looks to have flexibility to play just about any role. Looking forward to seeing him against metro.

That was a great seesawing match - very open and attacking game
I enjoyed the SA v Metro game last week as well.

I wonder how much the anti-density rules have to do with it.

As a concept I think spreading the game out and having forwards staying home is a good thing.

Van rooyen, Amiss, Treacy and probably others show you can get strong contributions from young kpf.

You don’t have to expect 5 years of development if you select the right ones

Probably why I find Faull, Shanahan and Gerryn more appealing as key forward prospects compared to to the Whitlock twins and even Sims.

I think the first 3 have the body shape and body type that will allow them to pack on the kg’s and be competitive at AFL sooner rather than later.

All things considered Finn played pretty well in his first game back from a long injury layoff. He was so underdone that you risk salmonella poisoning just from watching this video. His usually crisp sidestep was limp, and he was caught a number of times with the footy... but as the contest went on he got better and flashed a few moments of elite talent.

All things considered Finn played pretty well in his first game back from a long injury layoff. He was so underdone that you risk salmonella poisoning just from watching this video. His usually crisp sidestep was limp, and he was caught a number of times with the footy... but as the contest went on he got better and flashed a few moments of elite talent.

His ball use looks effortless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Van rooyen, Amiss, Treacy and probably others show you can get strong contributions from young kpf.

You don’t have to expect 5 years of development if you select the right ones
Maybe not 5 years, but don't expect them to fill a best 22 need next year, or probably even the year after. There's rare success stories but you shouldn't bank on it.

KPF might not even be a need by the time they are ready to contribute.

We could use another developing KPF, but I wouldn't trade away a top 3 pick to go chasing one. Just draft one or two with later picks.

You just shouldn't chase list needs if you're holding a top 10 pick.

What happens is you trade pick 2 to draft a KPF and a small forward. Then, Hansen or Payne come on strong and/or an Owies type wants to join you. Meanwhile, maybe Teakle keeps improving or Maley or Wil Dawson (either as a fwd or he goes back and Comben goes fwd) and/or you get some random signing like a Cadman.

In 2026 you're watching FOS or Smillie dominate for someone else while your picks can't crack into the side because they were B-level prospects to begin with.

We could use another developing KPF, but I wouldn't trade away a top 3 pick to go chasing one. Just draft one or two with later picks.

I could be wrong but I don’t think the big lebowski was suggesting trading down for a key forward, I think he was just highlighting that some key forwards can come in and contribute from the get go and not all of them are a long term development types.

I’d imagine that one of Faull, Shanahan or Gerreyn will be available at our 2nd pick.

I could be wrong but I don’t think the big lebowski was suggesting trading down for a key forward, I think he was just highlighting that some key forwards can come in and contribute from the get go and not all of them are a long term development types.

I’d imagine that one of Faull, Shanahan or Gerreyn will be available at our 2nd pick.
Where we've struggled in the second round in the past is drafting B or C-grade mid-sized players with no real prospects to break into the midfield so I'd be perfectly happy to see us take a punt on a key forward.

Fair enough, I might have been reading his comment with some others also still in mind and misinterpreted

A strong performance from Lalor who's still getting back to his best after his long injury layoff. He played through the midfield for most of the game with stints in the forward line and while he still lacks the tank to get to an many contests as you would like, he showed his ability to influence stoppage with his power and physicality. Up forward he was a dangerous marking target, and chipped in with three valuable goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back