Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a really interesting question, the improvement shown by Comben and Archer and with Logue to come back, our defensive unit is building nicely, and that means our biggest hole to fill this offseason will be a second tall in the forward half. Teakle could be the Forward/Ruck who provides a third option up forward and support for Xerri, but I don't think he can play as the second tall. Surely, we have to target a KPF in Free Agency or through a trade this season.

Probably why I find Faull, Shanahan and Gerryn more appealing as key forward prospects compared to to the Whitlock twins and even Sims.

I think the first 3 have the body shape and body type that will allow them to pack on the kg’s and be competitive at AFL sooner rather than later.
Yep
Gerryn we can get at our second rounder too

The other 2 might just get there otherwise we likely need to get our future first traded into this draft

And I was born in Nottingham and it's definitely Darby... in fact the only time I've ever heard it derby is in Wa

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
OK - so it's Darby for pommies. No worries. It's Derby for Aussies. Lived near two Derby Sts and always referred to as derby. If I am ever in the mother country I shall remember this anomoly.

I still think we choose best available for our first couple of draft picks. Trade and free agency to fill gaps. Just have to be patient and keep showing good signs. KP players in particular will want to jump on board with the midfield we are building.
Left field, but isn't Jeremy Cameron out of contract next year. Yeah he'd be 33 in 2026, but he's moving damn well still. Maybe he could be tempted for a 2 year swing at a flag. He'd bring a lot to the table even if he had to managed a bit and that type that would imo work well with Larkey and Teakle/Chom

I still think we choose best available for our first couple of draft picks. Trade and free agency to fill gaps. Just have to be patient and keep showing good signs. KP players in particular will want to jump on board with the midfield we are building.
Yeah I tend to agree. Trying not to get too set on the type of player at each pick.
I do want a key forward and small forward in the draft but there's so many options at any of the picks.
2nd rounder would seem a good spot to get one of Faull/Gerryn/Shanahan/Sims/Armstrong but we just don't know who could be on the board. Like if Travaglia, Kako or Langford is there you'd jump at it.

Bit annoyed the game wasn't broadcast on Fox. Anybody know what happened there?

Don't think we can go wrong with any of FOS/Lalor/Smillie/Trainor/Smith at our 1st pick.
Will be interesting to see the Metro vs Country game to see how they stack up.

OK - so it's Darby for pommies. No worries. It's Derby for Aussies. Lived near two Derby Sts and always referred to as derby. If I am ever in the mother country I shall remember this anomoly.

Not sure it's too much of an anomaly as the Derby St in Kew where we live is definitely known as Darby by the locals too!

Lloyd just mentioned Armstrong on the Sunday Footy Show.
He said that we (North) should be all as over him, plays like Jeremy Cameron

RF08, is the Cameron comparison fair ? And what is his draft pick range ?
Thanks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Another 4 goals for Sandy.

Screenshot_20240708_075715_Talent League.jpg

Not sure it's too much of an anomaly as the Derby St in Kew where we live is definitely known as Darby by the locals too!

Snobs don't count. I'm talking real people. Next thing I know you will be trying to convince me that castle is pronounced CAR SIL and not as spelt, cass ool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another 4 goals for Sandy.

View attachment 2042269
Don't mind Harry as a key forward and where he's going to go in the draft, unless we spit our pick I think we can pick up a very nice key forward in the 2nd round, that is why trading in a future 2nd rounder makes perfect sense this year.
Love his attack at the ball!

We still need to get 2 kpf this draft - sellers doesn’t look likely and probably a third tall anyway.
Need a big pack marking contested guy

How many sides have two amazing KPF's at the moment or even recently?

Carlton?
Geelong?
Richmond?

Carlton have won nothing yet and Geelong jagged one in a bit of a transitional year post covid.

The last one was 2020 with Lynch and Riewoldt and they were hardly THE reason they won those flags.

Collingwood just won the flag with Mihocek, Cox and Frampton leading the line.
Beating a side with Danniher and Hipwood, whilst good players, are hardly Franklin and Roughead.

The year prior Geelong beating the corpse of Franklin and Sam Reid.

The year prior it was Ben Brown (the shadow of the player here) and Tom McDonald who is a better defender....
They beat Josh Schache and Aaron Naughton.

Then Geelong (without Cameron) lost with Hawkins and Rohan playing as a psuedo key forward.

Sydney are a few games clear with Logan McDonald and Amartey at the moment, these guys are hardly world beaters at the moment.

My point with all this is, we have an A grade key forward already. We don't need to go out and spend a kings ransom on Ben King, or Sam Darcy or Charlie Curnow. Whilst they would of course be nice, our list needs improvements across most lines.

We need a support forward for Larkey, preferably an athletic type, who's a good contested mark, who can get up and down the ground to enable Larkey to play deep at FF.

Long term, ideally, if we were really greedy, we probably need a fwd/ruck a level or two above Teakle, who is doing great in that role.

Noah Balta is a RFA next year. He should be priority #1 in Rawlings office of who I'd absolutely be laying the claws into for 2025 as a def/fwd swingman for this side.

Given Richmond will likely land Pick 2 for him next year, he's probably going to be viewed as an acceptable sacrificial lamb. Like we did with McKay.

The real missing piece is then a genuine star crumbing small forward. We need to figure a way of getting into the Kako range.

Draft a FOS/Lalor (Our last top midfield pick) this year.

Draft a Sims/Gerryn as the future ruck forward with the R2 pick. Target Gruzewski with a F2. Even target Derkson with a late pick.

Dangle the F1 to GC for 8 & 10. With the view of Kako, Travaglia, Armstrong etc.

Target Noah Balta with a $850k+ offer in 2025. Go to a $1m if we need to.

Genuine finals/ top 4 assault from 2026 onwards with that side/list.

Last edited:
How many sides have two amazing KPF's at the moment or even recently?

Carlton?
Geelong?
Richmond?

Carlton have won nothing yet and Geelong jagged one in a bit of a traditional year post covid.

The last one was 2020 with Lynch and Riewoldt and they were hardly THE reason they won those flags.

Collingwood just won the flag with Mihocek, Cox and Frampton leading the line.
Beating a side with Danniher and Hipwood, whilst good players, are hardly Franklin and Roughead.

The year prior Geelong beating the corpse of Franklin and Sam Reid.

The year prior it was Ben Brown (the shadow of the player here) and Tom McDonald who is a better defender....
They beat Josh Schache and Aaron Naughton.

Then Geelong (without Cameron) lost with Hawkins and Rohan playing as a psuedo key forward.

Sydney are a few games clear with Logan McDonald and Amartey at the moment, these guys are hardly world beaters at the moment.

My point with all this is, we have an A grade key forward already. We don't need to go out and spend a kings ransom on Ben King, or Sam Darcy or Charlie Curnow. Whilst they would of course be nice, our list needs improvements across most lines.

We need a support forward for Larkey, preferably an athletic type, who's a good contested mark, who can get up and down the ground to enable Larkey to play deep at FF.

Long term, ideally, if we were really greedy, we probably need a fwd/ruck a level or two above Teakle, who is doing great in that role.

Noah Balta is a RFA next year. He'd be priority #1 in Rawlings office of who I'd absolutely be laying the claws into for 2025 as a def/fwd swingman for this side.

I imagine given Richmond will likely land Pick 2 for him next year, he's going to be a sacrificial lamb.

The real missing piece is then a genuine star crumbing small. We need to figure a way of getting into the Kako range.

Draft a FOS/Lalor (Our last top midfield pick) this year.

Draft a Sims/Gerryn as the future ruck forward with the R2 pick. Target Gruzewski with a F2. Even target Derkson with a late pick.

Dangle the F1 to GC for 8 & 10. With the view of Kako, Travaglia, Armstrong etc.

Target Noah Balta with a $850k+ offer in 2025. Go to a $1m if we need to.

Genuine finals/ top 4 assault from 2026 onwards with that side.
If Teackle can average a goal and a half a game from here on out, I’d take that every day of the week.

It’s the flow on effect of his presence that’s the real value.

If Teackle can average a goal and a half a game from here on out, I’d take that every day of the week.

It’s the flow on effect of his presence that’s the real value.

I think we need depth either way if Larkey was to be injured.

We probably need to start planning for life after Larkey also, as odd as that sounds at this point.

There's a few very promising Fwd/Rucks right around our R2 pick that should be a no brainer.

A player like Balta as a Free Agent would be a game changer to this side though. We lose no draft capital, continue to build on it and add a 26 year old borderline A grade athletic swingman.

It's similar to when Hawthorn added Lake, or Richmond added Lynch or when Geelong added Cameron.

If we need him forward, we put him forward, if one of the younger KPF recruits comes on, or we can pry out a Gruzewski or a Derkson, we play Balta back and he forms one of the most formible duo's in the comp with Comben, with Logue as the 3rd tall defender.

Comben, Balta, Logue is 100% a premiership quality tall defence.

We really aren't far away from having all the pieces in place, 2 good trade periods.

Last edited:
Absolute #1 set up is:

Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw and Sheezel.

Powell, Simpkin and Phillips rotate in and out.

With Kerch to come.

I struggle to see how we draft another top line mid, unless they are a real point of difference like Colby.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Kerch to come.

I struggle to see how we draft another top line mid, unless they are a real point of difference like Colby.

You simply don’t.

You prioritise a quality KPF, a quality small forward and anyone to replace McDonald.

With Kerch to come.

FOS.

Plays off the wing.

The same place as Dylan Stephens, Bailey Scott and Liam Shiels has lined up this season.

I doubt there's a bigger positional upgrade we could achieve at the top of the draft than that one.

There's no midfield group I can remember in recent times that would have the quality of FOS and McKercher lining up on wings, with the strength of our clearance group.

It really would be the perfect young midfield group.

I really don't even think the likes of Gold Coast, Fremantle, Sydney etc are even competing with that long term, no matter what they throw at us.

Last edited:
With Kerch to come.

I suspect we'll move McKercher up to the wing. I realise his stoppage work is a real strength but the way he carves up the opposition on the outside I think we'll keep him on the outside.

Imagine if we drafted FOS and we have him and Colby on either wing with the ability to rotate on the ball if and when we needed to.

Harvey Langford has put himself right in the frame for the Larke medal with three outstanding performances so far at the Champs. He started off this game a little shaky by foot but was hugely influential at stoppage and used his elite footy IQ to find a ton of the ball on the spread.

Love to know what the knock on this bloke is, looks top 5 to me! feel he will land at Hawks and play 250 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back