Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all well and good to suggest we trade our F1 for a top 10 pick this year but realistically who are we going to trade with? Which club will want to trade out of the top 10?

1. Richmond won't they are at ground zero of their rebuild.
3. West Coast won't they are only one year ahead of Richmond.
4. Adelaide won't they'll want to trade up if they can.
5. Melbourne won't they need to replace the talent that's leaving, especially if Petracca leaves.
6. Gold Coast won't they need their pick for trades.
7. St Kilda won't they need high end talent.
8. Essendon won't they need high end talent.
9 & 10. Freo won't they need their picks for trades.
Only way that happens I feel is if Richmond don’t want to have all their eggs in the 2024 draft basket. They may want an extra pick in the 2025

Langford also has an average tank

I don’t mind him with a mid first round pick but not pick 2 ffs
So your saying Langford has an average tank slow and has average disposal but you would still pick him around pick 10 -12. That wont make him any better picking him there instead of top 5 will it.

Draper for me, combines Wardlaw's manic attack on the footy with pace.
Whatchya mean? Wardlaw already combines Wardlaw's manic attack on the footy with pace.

So your saying Langford has an average tank slow and has average disposal but you would still pick him around pick 10 -12. That wont make him any better picking him there instead of top 5 will it.
Has good footy iq that allows him to accumulate and impact which makes him still worth a first rounder

But I wouldn’t waste a top 4 pick on him

The challenge with doing this is finding a club with a top 10 pick this year who thinks they are travelling well enough that they don't need a top 10 player straight away but can afford to wait another year to improve their list. Nobody who finished outside the 8 is thinking that way, not with this draft at any rate.

Therefore, the best opportunity is with a team that anticipates a bid on an academy player and wants to get ahead of that by trading their top 10 pick for a future pick to avoid having to spend the draft capital. Unfortunately, there are no clubs in that situation this year. Brisbane will have to match a bid on Ashcroft but their pick is going to be mid teens at best. We're not giving our F1 for that. And Gold Coast will have to match a bid on Lombard but it's unlikely that bid comes before their pick 6. Therefore, their next pick (13) is an option but they'll probably hand that over to Richmond for Rioli. And again, I can't see us giving up our F1 for 13.

The only other opportunity might be if Richmond ends up with as many as 5x first round picks after they trade out Rioli, Baker, and Bolton. They might be interested in letting one of their top 10s go in exchange for our F1.
Saints may do it if they get compensation pick after their first. Tigers could do it if they get pick 6 from GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing is, he doesn’t seem to be a brute as you say. At 194 against other kids he’s not exactly monstering them. Would have been good to see him have a crack in the VFL. Apparently was very impressive with Hawks I think it was with his AIS placement.

What does monstering actually mean? It looks like he can football better than most in his age group, and his height is just a bonus. Looks to be the most unique midfielder in the draft that would complement our group.

I’d also be interested in understanding what do the talent watchers in here think of Cooper Hynes? His highlights look good - and is a big bodied mid who kicks goals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What does monstering actually mean? It looks like he can football better than most in his age group, and his height is just a bonus. Looks to be the most unique midfielder in the draft that would complement our group.

I’d also be interested in understanding what do the talent watchers in here think of Cooper Hynes? His highlights look good - and is a big bodied mid who kicks goals.

Smillie can't break tackles that well and he really should be able to with his size and weight. Not sure he likes contact.
I like Lalor for this reason, he cracks right in, he roughs guys up after contests. His kicking needs work though.
Cooper Hynes looks good, could be an option in the 20s if we decide to split pick 2 and take some talls early or move our F2 into this year but that might be tricky. Depends what we bring in during trade week I guess as well.

Breaking tackles, busting packs. From what I’ve seen I wouldn’t say he’s doing that. He looks a great player don’t get me wrong. If he ends up I wouldn’t be disappointed.

The challenge with doing this is finding a club with a top 10 pick this year who thinks they are travelling well enough that they don't need a top 10 player straight away but can afford to wait another year to improve their list. Nobody who finished outside the 8 is thinking that way, not with this draft at any rate.

Therefore, the best opportunity is with a team that anticipates a bid on an academy player and wants to get ahead of that by trading their top 10 pick for a future pick to avoid having to spend the draft capital. Unfortunately, there are no clubs in that situation this year. Brisbane will have to match a bid on Ashcroft but their pick is going to be mid teens at best. We're not giving our F1 for that. And Gold Coast will have to match a bid on Lombard but it's unlikely that bid comes before their pick 6. Therefore, their next pick (13) is an option but they'll probably hand that over to Richmond for Rioli. And again, I can't see us giving up our F1 for 13.

The only other opportunity might be if Richmond ends up with as many as 5x first round picks after they trade out Rioli, Baker, and Bolton. They might be interested in letting one of their top 10s go in exchange for our F1.
They would bite our hand off. I'd want both 9 and 10 for what could be a top two pick in 2025.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heard a couple of clubs have been looking at that Garoni fella from Werribee. Not sure if just a glance or genuine interest. Can anyone tell me anything about him?

His draft profile from years ago looks ok.

He has been the best performed state league key forward across the last couple of years. I think he had some interest a few years ago and tested in the state combine but tested poorly for agility and leap. There is no doubting his contested marking ability and accurate goal kicking it’s just whether he has the athleticism to give it a red hot crack at AFL level.

I think Willem at this stage would be looking like a top 5 prospect.
You’ve spoken about not wanting sny soft players in north colours. If north were to draft young Willem he’d need to improve his physicality significant to justify your previous criteria…

Yo-yo results suggest Langford and Smilie's tanks are the same - 720 yoyo.
That’s too perfect 🤣

He has been the best performed state league key forward across the last couple of years. I think he had some interest a few years ago and tested in the state combine but tested poorly for agility and leap. There is no doubting his contested marking ability and accurate goal kicking it’s just whether he has the athleticism to give it a red hot crack at AFL level.

You’ve spoken about not wanting sny soft players in north colours. If north were to draft young Willem he’d need to improve his physicality significant to justify your previous criteria…

That’s too perfect 🤣
Thanks mate!

I’m still not seeing it with FOS in highlights. What is it that I am missing? For me I see more in Smillie and Lalor.

First of all, even though a fair few people have jumped off Josh Smillie, his upside to what he can become, in say four or five years in the system would have a few recruiters curious and excited at the possibilities. Sam Lalor, of all the midfielders in this draft, he is by far the one player who has so much potential its mind boggling! I say this even though Finn, Sid, Jagga and Harvey all have heaps of potential and upside, that's what makes this draft like no other! Finn just has "it", what actually is "it", well its not just one or two things its like when you go and get "Chinese" food, and you get all the wonderful other things into the same meal, you eat it and it tastes amazing, it's called "a combination".

He has a presence when he plays, you can see it, he has that sidestep which opposition players are unsure of what he's going to do, his kicking is very good, his hands are almost elite, his marking above his head is well known, his high IQ is that of the next level like his decision making, he very rarely wastes the footy, watch him and then watch him again and picture him with a couple of pre-seasons behind him and you'll get the picture. One last thing of note, if Josh Smillie is just your ordinary good player with not much upside then as recruiters are professionals that should mean he'll go a mid to late first rounder, after all what has he got going for him?

The answer to that question will be answered on draft night and I will be very surprised if he doesn't go in the first seven selections {in the open draft order} regardless of any ones view on him, recruiters are just not going to take that chance of letting him go, the fact is people are only seeing what he can or can't do now, they can't see what he could become, there will be some that have him around 6 to 9 others will have him around that 5/6 mark and a few who could have him around that 2/3/4 mark, it all depends on the recruiter and where he has him on his list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back