Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies for the absence yesterday, I have another project taking priority but back tomorrow with a full slate of vids and plenty to catch up on from last weekend.

----

For any other player this would be worthy of a "Dominant Performance" tag, but for Jagga it was just a good solid outing. One point that I think needs to be emphasised here is that earlier in the year I and other draft watchers had two criticisms of Jagga's play. One, that he didn't apply as much defensive pressure as you would like to see from an inside mid. And two, that he sometimes lacked hurt factor with his possessions and would take the less damaging but safer option instead of going direct. In recent weeks it appears that he's taken this on board (perhaps his coaches were also giving him the same feedback) as the defensive side of his game in particular has improved dramatically. Not to mention he's now using his pace to break clear with attacking forward runs, and biting off much more attacking options by foot. He's even started to hit the scoreboard more frequently. There's very little left in his game to criticise any more.

I wonder if the Crows would come knocking with an offer to get us to move down 2 spots?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Potentially. I'd be trying to get a fair bit out of that deal though. I wouldn't be pulling the trigger on that if it was just Pick 4 and 25.

North Out: Pick 2, Future 3rd.

North In: Pick 4, Pick 25, Future 2nd

a Ma-hony as opposed to Mahoney character for this thread!

Souva has put his hand (and voice up) in recent years to fill the Larvell Jones role.

Next year’s top end shaping up nicely.

Dyson Sharp as a dynamic midfielder.
Oliver Greeves and Riley Onley as genuine big bodied mids.
Cooper Duff-Tytler and Louis Emmett are freakish ruck/forwards.

Outside of that, a lot of guns will be unavailable due to academies.

Top end picks will be worth their weight in gold by the end of next year I believe.

The highest-rated tall defender in this year’s draft – Sandringham’s Luke Trainor – may not play again this season after copping a high hit in Saturday’s quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.
Trainor, the grandson of champion former Geelong and North Melbourne goalkicker Doug Wade, had just received a handball when Calder ruckman Riley Leedham collected him in the head and gave away a free kick.
Trainor immediately clutched at his head but played on for a brief period before taking no part in the second half and going to hospital for precautionary reasons. The Dragons will find out his scan results on Wednesday.

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two brain injuries sustained in games last season.
Trainor’s concussions are a talking point among recruiters ahead of the draft in November, where he and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

The AFL announced in March that any footballer who suffered a concussion outside the AFL and AFLW would need to miss at least 21 days, including the under-18 Talent League and other second-tier competitions.

Trainor was an emergency for the Dragons’ grand final win last year, and a concussion would rule him out of this year’s decider, too, assuming Sandringham beat Dandenong Stingrays on Sunday.
cross-out-people-to-kill.gif

Twomey saying on Gettable that after Armstrong's weekend performance, he's "well and truly in the mix as a top 5 pick now", and "there's a bit of Aaron Cadman in his rise up the ranks".

Not a fan of this whole recency bias stuff. Judge each player based on their body of work over a whole year, not just a game here or there. Anyone can have a day out once in a while.

Not a fan of this whole recency bias stuff. Judge each player based on their body of work over a whole year, not just a game here or there. Anyone can have a day out once in a while.
I don't read it as recency bias, bear in mind we're broadly talking about kids 17 turning 18, growing, putting on muscle, growing into their roles, learning more about the game etc.

Generally speaking players improve over the course of the year and either solidify or improve on their draft ranking. The opposite can happen too of course players rated highly at the start of the year can drift back.

I think it's a fair comment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played his best game in the champ finals against the other best kids his age. Not sure if you watched but he was exceptional. Coates league can definitely be a little misleading but that champ finals performance was top class and whoever gets him will be stoked.

Looking like the 2025 draft is another that's going to be heavily compromised throughout the first and 2nd rounds:

Zeke Uwland - GC Academy - 1st round
Tom McGuane - Collingwood F/S - 1st round
Tarion Ah-Mu - Melbourne Academy - 1st round
Daniel Annable - Bris Academy - 1st round
Lachlan Carmichael - Sydney Academy - 2nd round
Wes Walley Jnr - WC Academy - 2nd round
Basil Hart - Freo Academy - 2nd round
Noah Chamberlin - Sydney Academy - 2nd round +
Jai Murray - GC Academy - 2nd round +
Dylan Patterson - GC Academy - 2nd round +
Beau Addinsall - GC Academy - 2nd round +
Ben Rogdit - Geelong Academy - 2nd round +
Hussain El Achkar - Essendon Academy - 2nd round +
Kalani White - Melbourne Academy - 2nd round +

In future drafts when Tassie get their start up concessions there is going to be a severe lack of talent available via the draft. If we don't nail the next 2 drafts, we could be looking at an even more extended stay towards the bottom end of the ladder.
Just read this on AFL site. Not sure the reason.

MELBOURNE will not have access to tall forward prospect Tairon Ah-Mu under Next Generation Academy rules when the 17-year-old hits his draft season next year.

Ah-Mu is a member of the Demons' NGA program but under the AFL's eligibility criteria, he does not qualify for the club to have any priority access over him as a draftee.

Superluke worth a shot??

41Luke Urquhart189cmMidfielderEast FremantleTall midfielder that can also play across half back. Uses his body well in contested situations.
Can't kick. Game summary "his kicking was off for most of the game, highlighted by some extreme shanks"

Odd given how good a kick his dad was.

Just read this on AFL site. Not sure the reason.

MELBOURNE will not have access to tall forward prospect Tairon Ah-Mu under Next Generation Academy rules when the 17-year-old hits his draft season next year.

Ah-Mu is a member of the Demons' NGA program but under the AFL's eligibility criteria, he does not qualify for the club to have any priority access over him as a draftee.

Ouch, Melbourne miss a potential gun key forward after missing Mac Andrew a few years back

Can we get a first round pick next year with a pick in the top 10 this year for our 2nd?
That might be an option if no other team wants to give us another 1st this year for sliding back.
Still quite risky though in terms of predicting where that team finishes next year.
I'd prefer to get another 1st this year if possible off GC/Tigers or Freo but easier said than done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back