Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In the article it says ‘Ah-Mu is of Samoan descent’.

Reckon that’s your answer. Pacific Island heritage not eligible for whatever reason. Of course the AFL lack the integrity to say it outright.
Any Island heritage is allocated NGA for the new Tasmanian team; Pacific Islands, King Island, Phillip Island etc.

In the article it says ‘Ah-Mu is of Samoan descent’.

Reckon that’s your answer. Pacific Island heritage not eligible for whatever reason. Of course the AFL lack the integrity to say it outright.
Yeah I read that. I'd love for them to actually answer why one background is excluded and another isn't.

Hey hey hey...don't forget Mud Island..oh shit that's our NGA zone isn't?
Fantasy Island more like it..

black and white vintage GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey saying on Gettable that after Armstrong's weekend performance, he's "well and truly in the mix as a top 5 pick now", and "there's a bit of Aaron Cadman in his rise up the ranks".
There's just something special about this young man. Its hard to put into words but he has all the tools for a great career on the forward line, hopefully its at our club, either key forward post but I feel full forward is where he is really going to shine, I know some people don't rate him that highly but from everything I've seen he is almost the perfect package, and its kinda funny how there are three key forwards in this draft with great potential where 12 months ago it was considered a midfielders draft.

If Harry lives up to his potential, I think he can be one of the best key forwards in the AFL, and I rarely go out on a limb like this, but this trade / free agency period is going to make things very interesting with midfielders and other position players coming into our team, another "if" moment, "if" Will & Brady think the same, we will pick him, "if" we don't, then {and we don't split} we surely are looking at Kayle Gerreyn {the Gman} in the second round as Jack Whitlock looks to be going between 9 and 16.

In my opinion and just maybe Kayle is still there at our second pick, though I'm not 100% sure its going to happen but like Jy & LDU you never know, its going to be one hell of a draft and there are going to be a lot of "WOW" responses from lots of opposition supporters on who clubs pick up and franticly try and get.

I've mentioned this before but it continues to stand out with every clip that I watch... Armstrong's quick decision making is an absolutely elite AFL quality. It's one of the most important qualities that determines a star player, in my opinion.

He's a player who has 2-3 actions in a sequence where most KPFs have 1.

The play at 3:45 in the clip below is a perfect example of it paying off. He is positioned to run onto the spoil, but it doesn't happen, so he tackles, then the split second that the ump signals a free he is sprinting forward into space. And he gets a goal out of it.

But even the play at 3:39. It's a nothing play but he's in that marking contest and before he even lands he is already thinking about how he is going to hunt the ball and apply pressure.

I've mentioned this before but it continues to stand out with every clip that I watch... Armstrong's quick decision making is an absolutely elite AFL quality. It's one of the most important qualities that determines a star player, in my opinion.

He's a player who has 2-3 actions in a sequence where most KPFs have 1.

The play at 3:45 in the clip below is a perfect example of it paying off. He is positioned to run onto the spoil, but it doesn't happen, so he tackles, then the split second that the ump signals a free he is sprinting forward into space. And he gets a goal out of it.

But even the play at 3:39. It's a nothing play but he's in that marking contest and before he even lands he is already thinking about how he is going to hunt the ball and apply pressure.

At 3:39 he ran into space? Thats what does it for you? Gtrain is still my number 1 kpf. Kicked the ball 70 metres over the goal umpires hat. That’ll do son

At 3:39 he ran into space? Thats what does it for you? Gtrain is still my number 1 kpf. Kicked the ball 70 metres over the goal umpires hat. That’ll do son
Its such a weapon to have somebody that can kick that range. Having a 2m dude sniffing around the arc on slower plays when all the talls are positioning themselves around the square. Its not just that, his kick weighting isnt too bad either and even off 1 step. His kicking is either elite or just a smidge off it, but its right up there.

Last edited:
I think it is different if there is a substantial difference between the SA kid and the next best Victorian, but given the top end are hard to split, why would you take the risk?

Personally I don’t see it as a risk. Especially if his character is as good as I’ve been told.

Outside of JHF we’ve had a long history of being able to keep interstate players in north colours.

We are in no position to be overlooking the best available talent purely because they might chose to go home.

I believe G-Train held pretty much most of the KPP speed and athletic testing records in the Teal Cup prior to the testing standard adjustments in the TAC Cup 20 or so years ago.

Fraser is definitely one of the best key forwards of the AFL era, but had he played even just 10-15 years earlier, he would have been completely unstoppable imo. He was an Ablett Snr level of athlete, he would have been totally undefendable with the lead up FF game styles of the 70's/80's with his leg speed. He was unstoppable even 20 years later post the invent of the flood.

He would have been a 1000+ goal kicker had he debuted in 1980 imo.

Franklin (he actually kicked the 1,000 but from more games than the other KPF's), Fevola etc also fit in this category, but Gherig probably suited the 80's game style even more.

"The guys were amazed," remembers Mick Moylan, who, as recruiting manager for the Eagles at the time,

"Between 10 and 40 metres he was faster than Peter Matera at his best. No one was that quick. Or, I should say, no one thought anyone could be that quick."

Last edited:
I believe G-Train held pretty much most of the KPP speed and athletic testing records in the Teal Cup prior to the testing standard adjustments in the TAC Cup 20 or so years ago.

Fraser is definitely one of the best key forwards of the AFL era, but had he played even just 10-15 years earlier, he would have been completely unstoppable imo. He was an Ablett Snr level of athlete, he would have been totally undefendable with the lead up FF game styles of the 70's/80's with his leg speed. He was unstoppable even 20 years later post the invent of the flood.

He would have been a 1000+ goal kicker had he debuted in 1980 imo.

Franklin (he actually kicked the 1,000 but from more games than the other KPF's), Fevola etc also fit in this category, but Gherig probably suited the 80's game style even more.
He means Gerreyn. But agree with you on GTrain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back