Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

noobermensch I am hearing some Box Hill players are getting interest in particular Jake Arundell. Small fwd. The games I saw he was elite. Can u pls share some vision? We could see a record number of state league players taken this year.

Not a fan of this whole recency bias stuff. Judge each player based on their body of work over a whole year, not just a game here or there. Anyone can have a day out once in a while.
he's been playing well all year and some people, even on here are saying he'll rise into the top 5 or 10 come draft night.

I believe G-Train held pretty much most of the KPP speed and athletic testing records in the Teal Cup prior to the testing standard adjustments in the TAC Cup 20 or so years ago.

Fraser is definitely one of the best key forwards of the AFL era, but had he played even just 10-15 years earlier, he would have been completely unstoppable imo. He was an Ablett Snr level of athlete, he would have been totally undefendable with the lead up FF game styles of the 70's/80's with his leg speed. He was unstoppable even 20 years later post the invent of the flood.

He would have been a 1000+ goal kicker had he debuted in 1980 imo.

Franklin (he actually kicked the 1,000 but from more games than the other KPF's), Fevola etc also fit in this category, but Gherig probably suited the 80's game style even more.
On top of the speed stuff I remember him having ridiculous bench press numbers too.

Murphy Reid filled out the stat sheet very nicely in another excellent performance as he and his Sandy Dragons continue their march towards potentially another flag. When the conditions get breezy, it just allows Murphy to separate himself from the rest, showing his class and elite control of the footy. He hit targets with ease and made a couple of his goals look simple from difficult opportunities. His clearance work is worth highlighting this week, his movement and clean hands at ground level was elite and he applied defensive pressure which hasn't always been a strength.

I believe G-Train held pretty much most of the KPP speed and athletic testing records in the Teal Cup prior to the testing standard adjustments in the TAC Cup 20 or so years ago.

Fraser is definitely one of the best key forwards of the AFL era, but had he played even just 10-15 years earlier, he would have been completely unstoppable imo. He was an Ablett Snr level of athlete, he would have been totally undefendable with the lead up FF game styles of the 70's/80's with his leg speed. He was unstoppable even 20 years later post the invent of the flood.

He would have been a 1000+ goal kicker had he debuted in 1980 imo.

Franklin (he actually kicked the 1,000 but from more games than the other KPF's), Fevola etc also fit in this category, but Gherig probably suited the 80's game style even more.

It's wild that in his first couple of years he was a wingman as well. Then he put on all that bulk and turned into an absolute animal.

Murphy Reid filled out the stat sheet very nicely in another excellent performance as he and his Sandy Dragons continue their march towards potentially another flag. When the conditions get breezy, it just allows Murphy to separate himself from the rest, showing his class and elite control of the footy. He hit targets with ease and made a couple of his goals look simple from difficult opportunities. His clearance work is worth highlighting this week, his movement and clean hands at ground level was elite and he applied defensive pressure which hasn't always been a strength.

North's pick 2 (if we don't split) seems like:
FOS as fav.
Draper - coming in a hot 2nd.
Langford - making a strong run for the top.
Smillie - fading after a strong start.
M.Reid - gathering steam like Kiwi.

North's pick 2 (if we don't split) seems like:
FOS as fav.
Draper - coming in a hot 2nd.
Langford - making a strong run for the top.
Smillie - fading after a strong start.
M.Reid - gathering steam like Kiwi.
Armstrong in the mix now as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 players I can't see the fuss with - FOS and Trainor.

Conversely I find Jagga mesmerising and am surprised he isn't spoken about even more.

I’d be happy to welcome Jagga at pick 2, despite him not being a pressing need.

100% agree on Trainor

Disagree with FOS but think he gets overrated

Conversely I find Jagga mesmerising and am surprised he isn't spoken about even more.
I've said it before.
Trainor is a trap.
Dgb all over again.
I wonder how many tall defender top 5 picks have worked out since weitering?

Trainor will be pick 12, there's other players who have been more impressive and especially in light of his concussion history. Even without that I think teams will be looking at Travaglia or Tauru before Trainor imo.

I wouldn't have Langford at pick 2. I don't see a touch of class with him.
I think Jagga, Draper, Smillie, Murphy Reid, FOS, Lalor and Armstrong would be the 7 I'd be looking at.
Possibly you'd have Jagga gone pick 1 and FOS and Lalor questionable for pick 2, so perhaps it's down to Draper/Smillie/M Reid/Armstrong if we don't slide back.
Although sliding back to get Armstrong & Berry or M Reid & J Whitlock/Shanahan combo could appeal.
Someone who can play small forward and rotate mid and a key forward wouldn't be a bad pairing.
But can we get any takers for sliding back? WCE might be looking at doing the same, but it's easier said than done.

Trainor will be pick 12, there's other players who have been more impressive and especially in light of his concussion history. Even without that I think teams will be looking at Travaglia or Tauru before Trainor imo.

I wouldn't have Langford at pick 2. I don't see a touch of class with him.
I think Jagga, Draper, Smillie, Murphy Reid, FOS, Lalor and Armstrong would be the 7 I'd be looking at.
Possibly you'd have Jagga gone and FOS and Lalor questionable for pick 2, so perhaps it's down to Draper/Smillie/M Reid/Armstrong if we don't slide back.
Although sliding back to get Armstrong & Berry or M Reid & J Whitlock/Shanahan combo could appeal.
Someone who can play small forward and rotate mid and a key forward wouldn't be a bad pairing.
But can we get any takers for sliding back? WCE might be looking at doing the same, but it's easier said than done.

I reckon we're more likely to look at Matt Whitlock over Jack. Would give us three hulk swingmen (when he eventually fills out) with Chom and Will Dawson, not to mention he's a proven goalscorer too.

Ollie Hannaford is coming home with a wet sail in the tail end of the season. A move into the forward line has paid huge dividends for both him and the Rebels as his bags of goals have helped to propel them on an excellent run of form. He's high energy, quick and agile with a low center of gravity which lets him weave through traffic, he's surprisingly strong and capable of out wrestling opponents, and most importantly of all, he has more than a touch of audaciousness with the footy.

Draper is my preference at 2 but if we looked at Armstrong, I wouldn't be disappointed.

This is me, under the assumption FOS is gone at 1.

I reckon we're more likely to look at Matt Whitlock over Jack. Would give us three hulk swingmen (when he eventually fills out) with Chom and Will Dawson, not to mention he's a proven goalscorer too.
Don't mind that either. Matt could be more the 2nd rounder though perhaps. But I want GMan. We need another 20s pick.
I thought early on Matt was the better of the Whitlock twins, now not so sure.

Last edited:

I am with you on FOS and Trainor but I think the lack of focus on Jagga has gone from chatter that his stats are padded and he isn't damaging to acceptance that he is pretty special but he won't be on the board at our pick.

It's wild that in his first couple of years he was a wingman as well. Then he put on all that bulk and turned into an absolute animal.
Dark times on the North board - we're so far down the hole we're now reminiscing about other teams players. FWIW my fondest memory of Fraser is of him misfiring an atom and the ensuing criticality event at Docklands way back in the day. It's not too often you see a player literally lose their mind on field but with this and ol' whatsisface from Hawthorn trying to murder Drew on field we've seen some interesting ones.

I'd be concerned about us drafting too many swingers and not having a big enough bowl to keep their keys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back