Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not about North or anyone in particular really. Just a general observation. If you need to stay close to mum and dad, then don’t nominate for a National Draft.

I tend to agree. It’s a national competition, and draftees moving after a year or two deal really doesn’t help the evenness of the comp. You just know a Harley Reid type is never coming to North.

In saying that we wouldn’t have ended up with Sheezel if this was the case, it was well documented that he didn’t want to leave Melbourne due to family.

I tend to agree. It’s a national competition, and draftees moving after a year or two deal really doesn’t help the evenness of the comp. You just know a Harley Reid type is never coming to North.

In saying that we wouldn’t have ended up with Sheezel if this was the case, it was well documented that he didn’t want to leave Melbourne due to family.
That is a really good point roos We well not all give JHF a hard time for leaving us wanting to go home Cant have it both ways can we.

I’m sick to death of these kids wanting to play close to home. It’s an absolute privilege to get drafted, they should be happy to play anywhere.
Dead set giveaway of alarm bells regarding a draftee with talk of wanting to play for certain teams. Stay away.

I would much rather hear a draftee just talk about the honour of being drafted to the biggest professional sport in the country.

That is a really good point roos We well not all give JHF a hard time for leaving us wanting to go home Cant have it both ways can we.
When players are honest they don’t cop the booing from fans - Rozee also said he wanted to stay in Adelaide. Judas did it the underhanded way and was never staying and used our predicament as an excuse.
Would of been interesting if we had done that trade with the tigers - what would he have done

When players are honest they don’t cop the booing from fans - Rozee also said he wanted to stay in Adelaide. Judas did it the underhanded way and was never staying and used our predicament as an excuse.
Would of been interesting if we had done that trade with the tigers - what would he have done
Yeah i get what you are saying The whole JHF thing was a mess I'm sure it should have been better handled by everyone involved. I'm just not sure if it's as easy as saying if you don't want a particular club to draft you don't nominate for the draft then. What's the answer i don't know We live in a different world now to when i grew up like Passmore said he would have gone anywhere to play AFL given the chance as would i in a heart beat. Do we say once you are drafted that's it that's your club for life. Players can decide how long they want to stay at a club but can't decide what club they want to start their career but if that was the case you would have all the top class kids going to all the top clubs. Stuffed if i have any idea how it all works and how you stop draftees from leaving early or simply saying i don't want to go to a particular club.

Yeah i get what you are saying The whole JHF thing was a mess I'm sure it should have been better handled by everyone involved. I'm just not sure if it's as easy as saying if you don't want a particular club to draft you don't nominate for the draft then. What's the answer i don't know We live in a different world now to when i grew up like Passmore said he would have gone anywhere to play AFL given the chance as would i in a heart beat. Do we say once you are drafted that's it that's your club for life. Players can decide how long they want to stay at a club but can't decide what club they want to start their career but if that was the case you would have all the top class kids going to all the top clubs. Stuffed if i have any idea how it all works and how you stop draftees from leaving early or simply saying i don't want to go to a particular club.
I think that a lot of the angst comes from very strong suspicions that JHF only said he was happy to move to Melbourne to avoid us trading with Adelaide, and the exit was always planned.

I think that a lot of the angst comes from very strong suspicions that JHF only said he was happy to move to Melbourne to avoid us trading with Adelaide, and the exit was always planned.
Yeah i have no doubt he never really wanted to really come to Vitoria meaning any club in Vic

Clubs should have the power to trade players to whoever they want - clubs have lost all power even when they’re contracted.

Clubs should have the power to trade players to whoever they want - clubs have lost all power even when they’re contracted.
When you say that do you mean if the player has asked for a trade the club should be allowed to trade with the best option. I don't agree with players that want to stay at their club being traded to any club. If my employee said you are now being traded to lets say one of the more dangerous places in the world to raise my family and work i would say up yours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player agents have too much power, the balance is off.
Yeah the afl are turning into soccer leagues where the same teams are at the top/bottom each year.
This Free agency has destroyed equalisation

We should be moving the Draft age up to 21

When you say that do you mean if the player has asked for a trade the club should be allowed to trade with the best option. I don't agree with players that want to stay at their club being traded to any club. If my employee said you are now being traded to lets say one of the more dangerous places in the world to raise my family and work i would say up yours.
Both **** em - it’ll bring everything back into line how it should be.
Treat a player well and he’ll stay and vice versa
Probably cap it to the top 10 percent of salaries as you can’t have guys getting turfed from state to state on a 200k deals

Somewhere in the 2030s, it will happen imo. Revenue is growing exponentially every decade, and at some point, the median wage will be 1-2m a season.

I think that's when we'll see the change, among others, such as uncomprimised drafts, fixture balance, stadium deals, etc.

The AFL will be forced into professionalism once the dollars hit a certain figure.

They are as amateur a league as you'll find anywhere in the world presently.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ollie Hannaford is coming home with a wet sail in the tail end of the season. A move into the forward line has paid huge dividends for both him and the Rebels as his bags of goals have helped to propel them on an excellent run of form. He's high energy, quick and agile with a low center of gravity which lets him weave through traffic, he's surprisingly strong and capable of out wrestling opponents, and most importantly of all, he has more than a touch of audaciousness with the footy.

I would go as far as to say this kid is the best list fit for us in the draft. He clearly has the talent as well. Give me a haul that includes Hannaford + Gerreyn/another KPF and I’ll be over the moon.

Nobody really believes that though, do they? Jason simply isn't that clever or conniving. We messed it up. We should have done better research on Jason before knocking back the trade offers. And once we decided to draft him we should have put better supports in place. The kid wasn't equipped to spend another year with us, with him and his family constantly harassed by both Adelaide teams. This was something we should have called out and protected him from but squibbed instead.

Nobody really believes that though, do they? Jason simply isn't that clever or conniving. We messed it up. We should have done better research on Jason before knocking back the trade offers. And once we decided to draft him we should have put better supports in place. The kid wasn't equipped to spend another year with us, with him and his family constantly harassed by both Adelaide teams. This was something we should have called out and protected him from but squibbed instead.
Can’t stand people call this bottom feeder white trash “jason”
For me it’s & always will be “Judas”
IMG_0475.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back