Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2021, Richmond offered us Pick 9, 17, and 28 for Pick 1. Adelaide offered Pick 6 from 2021, and what turned out to be Picks 5 (sliding to 6) and 14 (sliding to 18) from 2022. I still don't agree that either offer was all that enticing.

Also, compare it to what West Coast knocked back for Harley Reid last year, which would have involved Pick 3 and two of our late first rounders. I think we were right to offer no more than that and West Coadt was right to knock it back. They wanted 2 and 3 at the very least and we would have been crazy to make that trade.
This.
The trades on offer weren’t great.
If we knew we could trade down and get Finn Callaghan - perhaps we would have done it. But from 1 down to 6? Too many unknowns and a drop off in quality.

A second straight 4 goal game for Harry Armstrong who appears to be firming as top key forward prospect in the pool and a top 10 fancy in the minds of many. He had a quieter period towards the end of the regular Talent League season, but has turned it on again so far in this finals series providing the forward 50 target his team needs and the goals required to push them towards yet another Dragons flag.

Does anyone know who #47 is in this clip?

I said this earlier in the year but from a pairing perspective either Gerreyn or Faull would pair up well with Larkey. Bigger bodied, bit more physical in the aerial contests.

In the event that we did trade down, I’d love it if we went a combination of:

One of:
Top Tier: Armstrong/Shanahan/J.Whitlock

Next Tier: Faull/Gerreyn

I genuinely think there potential for a Curnow/McKay like haul from this draft with two picks between 8 and 20.

Throw in O’Farrell with a pick beyond 25 and you are well on your way to building a very very good spine.

I said this earlier in the year but from a pairing perspective either Gerreyn or Faull would pair up well with Larkey. Bigger bodied, bit more physical in the aerial contests.

One of:

I genuinely think there potential for a Curnow/McKay like haul from this draft with two picks between 8 and 20.

Throw in O’Farrell with a pick beyond 25 and you are well on your way to building a very very good spine.
Not as high on Faull myself. Was excited about hm watching the NAB futures game end of 2023 and I thought "who is this kid?" but been a bit underwhelmed this year, maybe it's taken a while coming back from injury.
I'll have to watch his most recent highlights, but his field kicking can be quite head scratching at times.
I don't know if it's a technical thing with his ball drop or something but he can shank them badly.

One of:

I wonder if the last week hasnt worked out well for us.

Perhaps Armstrong might not go into the top 6 and Faull makes it more likely GMan is there for our second rounder. Which opens up the possibility for pick 2 and 40 to GC for 6, 12 and 20 or 26. Or 2, 22 and 40 for 6,12, 20 and 26. Pick 26 in the later is overs by GC but when dealing with Richmond for Rioli pick 2 would be a very handy bargaining tool. Id consider it without 26 tbh, as 20 just about ensures Gman. We could take Armstrong, (Berry, Hotton, Trainor) and GMan.

Although if Crows were interested in our F1 for pick 4 id probably reconsider. The possibility of getting the pace and class of both Draper and Lalor would be appealing as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the last week hasnt worked out well for us.

Perhaps Armstrong might not go into the top 6 and Faull makes it more likely GMan is there for our second rounder. Which opens up the possibility for pick 2 and 40 to GC for 6, 12 and 20 or 26. Or 2, 22 and 40 for 6,12, 20 and 26. Pick 26 in the later is overs by GC but when dealing with Richmond for Rioli pick 2 would be a very handy bargaining tool. Id consider it without 26 tbh, as 20 just about ensures Gman. We could take Armstrong, (Berry, Hotton, Trainor) and GMan.

Although if Crows were interested in our F1 for pick 4 id probably reconsider. The possibility of getting the pace and class of both Draper and Lalor would be appealing as well.

Gold Coast will have to retain some of those picks so that they have capital for Noble/Rioli trades. They'll also need some up their sleeve to match the bid on Leo Lombard too.

Gold Coast will have to retain some of those picks so that they have capital for Noble/Rioli trades. They'll also need some up their sleeve to match the bid on Leo Lombard too.
They'd get plenty of pick points back using pick 2 as part of a Rioli trade. Richmond would love nothing more than getting their hands on it. But if we had 2 and 4 ourselves, damn that would be tempting. We could have serious burst speed with class around the ball.

Shanahan and Armstrong will go top 10

But J Whitlock, Gerryn and Faull should be there at 22

I’m still going Smillie pick 2 and Gerryn pick 22

If we split 2 for 6 and 10 then Trainor and shanahan and gerryn with our 3 picks (6,10,22)

I'm off Trainor completely after that concussion news. As for Shanahan and Gerreyn, in terms of complimenting our list, I think they are the best two key forwards in the draft. Both have different strengths to their games which we are currently missing.

Armstrong for mine, is too much like Larkey in the way he plays. We should have learnt by now the pitfalls of having too many of the same type of player.

They'd get plenty of pick points back using pick 2 as part of a Rioli trade. Richmond would love nothing more than getting their hands on it. But if we had 2 and 4 ourselves, damn that would be tempting. We could have serious burst speed with class around the ball.
You'd hope pick 2 for Rioli would include plenty of pick points back. I would be reluctant to part with pick 22 for him.

I'm off Trainor completely after that concussion news. As for Shanahan and Gerreyn, in terms of complimenting our list, I think they are the best two key forwards in the draft. Both have different strengths to their games which we are currently missing.

Armstrong for mine, is too much like Larkey in the way he plays. We should have learnt by now the pitfalls of having too many of the same type of player.
It would be interesting if Crows came hunting for our f1 for pick 4 and we could wrangle a swap of picks to get their 25. 22 and 25 should net us Gman and Faull, Simms or M.Whitlock. Then 2 and 4 take Draper and Lalor who can both play forward and bring badly needed pace around the ball. Lalor that bigger body burst mid type we want not unlike LDU but much stronger overhead.

You'd hope pick 2 for Rioli would include plenty of pick points back. I would be reluctant to part with pick 22 for him.
We have 22. I mean us trading pick 2 and 40 to GC for 6,12 and 20.

Richmond would have a other picks around 9 and 10 from Freo, so GC might on trade pick 2 to Richmond for Rioli and pick 9 or 10. That said id be keen on getting the scenario i just posted above too.

It would be interesting if Crows came hunting for our f1 for pick 4 and we could wrangle a swap of picks to get their 25. 22 and 25 should net us Gman and Faull, Simms or M.Whitlock. Then 2 and 4 take Draper and Lalor who can both play forward and bring badly needed pace around the ball. Lalor that bigger body burst mid type we want not unlike LDU but much stronger overhead.

Can't see us skipping Armstrong with 4 if we were also keeping 2. I'd love to be going into this draft with these picks though.

Can't see us skipping Armstrong with 4 if we were also keeping 2. I'd love to be going into this draft with these picks though.
Agreed, but with run, carry, pace, skills, endurance and transition being the name of the game these days those 2 would be bloody tempting. Yeah 2 more mids, but multi positional types.

Getting the talls later (pick 20 -30) mightn't be a bad thing if we're getting Darling as well. Give us a little more time to FA, trade or draft another in the following couple of years.

Last edited:
In this game Bo Allan was given a chance to play as one of Peel's primary onballers on the big stage of a prelim final. It wasn't a prolific game for Bo, but he acquitted himself well and put together a few exiting passages of play to tease watchers with his immense potential. The defensive side of the game is where Allan is most accomplished and impactful at this stage, and where he's likely to immediately contribute most strongly at AFL level. His athleticism and physicality allow him to close space rapidly and lay powerful tackles, and he's diligent when playing the sweeping role on the defensive side of the contest. The moments when he tucks the ball under his arm and bursts free of congestion before roosting a deep and penetrating left foot ball into the forward 50 are what get's everyone excited for what he might be capable of in the future.

In this game Bo Allan was given a chance to play as one of Peel's primary onballers on the big stage of a prelim final. It wasn't a prolific game for Bo, but he acquitted himself well and put together a few exiting passages of play to tease watchers with his immense potential. The defensive side of the game is where Allan is most accomplished and impactful at this stage, and where he's likely to immediately contribute most strongly at AFL level. His athleticism and physicality allow him to close space rapidly and lay powerful tackles, and he's diligent when playing the sweeping role on the defensive side of the contest. The moments when he tucks the ball under his arm and bursts free of congestion before roosting a deep and penetrating left foot ball into the forward 50 are what get's everyone excited for what he might be capable of in the future.

Fair leg on the boy. Someone will get a good one with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back