Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You think GC would go for that? Give up pick 6/12 to move up 4 places in an even draft?
they wont do that especially as they need a first rounder for rioli

the only team i could see pick 2 potentially be split with is the tigers for 6 and 10/12 post their trades

You think GC would go for that? Give up pick 6/12 to move up 4 places in an even draft?
It's about getting an early pick before the Lombard bid but it doesn't take into account what Gold Coast will need to give up to get Daniel Rioli and John Noble. All these draft pick suggestions are a complete waste of time until after the Trade Period.

Last edited:
Go home factor solved overnight if this was implemented.

Take No Chase Jase

NCJ ‘I want to be traded to Port’
NMFC ‘ Gold Coast have offered substantially more’
NCJ ‘But step daddy beat em up, already has the MG’
NMFC ‘ enjoy broadbeach’
Not really, because he'd tell GC that he won't re-sign with them, so it will be a 12 month rental.

GC would pay cents on the dollar if it's only for 12 months. For the same reason that we didn't just keep him for 12 more months ourselves.

It's about getting an early pick before the Lombard bid but it doesn't account what Gold Coast will need to give up to get Daniel Rioli and John Noble. All these draft pick suggestions are a complete waste of time until after the Trade Period.
Richmond would love pick 2. If GC have it then it gives them more bargaining power with Rioli.

After reviewing a bit more footage and watching a few older games here are some talking points I've come up with:

- Oliver Hannaford would have to be one of my favourites from this years draft class. His repeat efforts, physicality and team first game style will hold him in good stead at AFL level. With the athletic profile and his outstanding form as a small forward over the last month, I think he will be a late season bolter, particularly if he has a big game in the grand final. I probably underrated his skill a bit, when in space he is actually a really good user of the ball and has genuine class finishing in front of goal. I reckon he can play in every 3rd of the ground. Like a Blake Hardwick type.

- I've probably underrated Jack Whitlock's potential. His ground level game for a 199-200cm tall is bloody good, and his marking at the highest point has improved out of sight since the start of the year. Has a bit more physicality when attacking the contest than I gave him credit for. The metro/country final was a good example of that, didn't get a heap of it but really flew and crunched some packs. Once he gets the body to go with it he is going to be hard to stop in the air.

- I've made it well known that I'm a big fan of Luke Trainor and Tobie Travaglia as half back intercepting types, however, the two of them are really prone to miss kicks and/or over kicking the footy. I think Travaglia's ball drop will see him get into trouble at AFL level because he takes a while to dispose of the ball like Darcy Tucker. Can't fault his defensive craft and courage though. Trainor's kicking action is flawless, but he can miss targets with little or no pressure which takes the shine off him as a prospect, particularly in the top 7-8. I feel like he tries to kick really flat passes which results in him over kicking the ball. His intercept marking isn't quite at the level of Travaglia either, particular when there is pressure. Travaglia is more of an accomplished contested marker in my opinion.

- I'm a fan of Taylor Goad and I was supportive of us picking him last year, but damn I kind of wish we held onto one of those end of first round picks for this year, because whoever gets Alex Dodson is getting a freakish talent. His tapwork is supreme, his follow up work is excellent and his skill around the ground, is probably the most impressive I've seen for ruckman since Luke Jackson. I'm really surprised he isn't being talked about as a potential top 10 pick.

- Xavier Lindsay is criminally underrated. I genuinely think he is the best ball user in this draft class and has claims to be inside the top 10. Has leadership in spades, and has good balance between his inside and outside game. To be honest his form this year is what you would've expected from Finn O'Sullivan. Can play multiple positions and is really damaging with his ball use. The thing I like is that he stepped up in the big games, had some really solid outings for Vic Country and tried to win games off his own boot in the Coates League.

- Harry Oliver is also another player who I think I've underrated. Again one of the better ball users in this draft class, he combines his defensive intensity with his ability to find the ball on the outside and cut teams apart with his kicking. Often a lot of talk about Sandy's midfield, but Oliver plays a huge role in that side with his positioning and drive off half back. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he pushes into that top 25 calculations come draft night.

I do like Armstrong because of his elite endurance and workrate but he's more Jezza Cameron I guess.
I do wonder if Shanahan is a bit similar to what we have in Zane currently as a forward and perhaps we need more of a Jack Whitlock, Gerreyn or Sims next to Larkey as 199cm contested mark options.
If we slide back it will be interesting to see who we rate as the best key forward. It might be Jack. I'd love GMan though.

It would be interesting if Crows came hunting for our f1 for pick 4 and we could wrangle a swap of picks to get their 25. 22 and 25 should net us Gman and Faull, Simms or M.Whitlock. Then 2 and 4 take Draper and Lalor who can both play forward and bring badly needed pace around the ball. Lalor that bigger body burst mid type we want not unlike LDU but much stronger overhead.

I'd go one step further and swap 2 for 6 & 10. Then it's:

4 - Draper
6 - Lalor
10 - Shanahan
22 - Hannaford
25 - Gerreyn

Ah that's a shame...

What's wrong with being a Cameron type!?
Nothing wrong with that. I guess he's not shown he's a real contested mark type.
Took a great pack mark on the wing in the national champs game so I think he can do it.
Shanahan flies for a lot of marks and doesn't take them either. GMan tends to chest mark it a bit too much as well.
It's all something they have to work on. Only Zane really took the ball at the highest point.
Jack Whitlock has shown he can do that and at 200cm it's pretty hard to stop.
I see a bit of Jezza Cameron or Chris Tarrant in him. His workrate and kicking is great. Coached by a good FF in Matty Lloyd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we wait for the vods to drop for the weekend's games, let's go back a week to the quarter final where Jonty Faull played Robin to Hannaford's Batman as they booted 10 goals between them, Faull bagging 4. He was a little more fumbly than he typically is, and most of his goals came from a touch fortune or being in the right place at the right time, but he was busy all game and presented as a critical target and outlet around the ground.

While we wait for the vods to drop for the weekend's games, let's go back a week to the quarter final where Jonty Faull played Robin to Hannaford's Batman as they booted 10 goals between them, Faull bagging 4. He was a little more fumbly than he typically is, and most of his goals came from a touch fortune or being in the right place at the right time, but he was busy all game and presented as a critical target and outlet around the ground.

He's got some potential but the play at 00:46 frustrates me. I don't know how you decide to make that kick.

It would be interesting if Crows came hunting for our f1 for pick 4 and we could wrangle a swap of picks to get their 25. 22 and 25 should net us Gman and Faull, Simms or M.Whitlock. Then 2 and 4 take Draper and Lalor who can both play forward and bring badly needed pace around the ball. Lalor that bigger body burst mid type we want not unlike LDU but much stronger overhead.
Not sure why the Crows would trade out of this draft? They want quality mids and the top end of this draft is all mids. If anything they would want to move up to be sure they get Draper. Which may well suit us if we are keen on Armstrong.

He's got some potential but the play at 00:46 frustrates me. I don't know how you decide to make that kick.
He is actually a really good field kick, but his decision making can be deplorable at times (especially when kicking inside forward 50).

He plays on instinct a bit, and likes to get back off his mark quickly which is a good thing, but he has to refine his decision making I think.

Last edited:
It's about getting an early pick before the Lombard bid but it doesn't account what Gold Coast will need to give up to get Daniel Rioli and John Noble. All these draft pick suggestions are a complete waste of time until after the Trade Period.

Gold Coast also needs to bank enough points for Lombard. Cal Twomey has him going around 12. That's 1268 points, which comes down to 1014 with discount. They have 6, 12, 20, 26, 35, and 46. Richmond has 39, 41, and 47. If Gold Coast gets Richmond's 41 and 47, added to their own 46, then they have enough points for Lombard.

They might offer 6 and 20 for our 2, then give 12 and 26 to Richmond for Rioli plus 41 and 37. Then offer 35 for Noble. Collingwood people seem to think he's worth a first rounder. They're dreaming, but 35 might be a little short.

Not sure why the Crows would trade out of this draft? They want quality mids and the top end of this draft is all mids. If anything they would want to move up to be sure they get Draper. Which may well suit us if we are keen on Armstrong.
Because of Sharp.

They wont get Draper this year and next years pick 7-10 ish and their f1 in 2026 is unlikely to be enough to get pick 1 where Sharp is tipped to go. But our est F1 pick 2-4 and their 7-10 probably would be.

Gold Coast also needs to bank enough points for Lombard. Cal Twomey has him going around 12. That's 1268 points, which comes down to 1014 with discount. They have 6, 12, 20, 26, 35, and 46. Richmond has 39, 41, and 47. If Gold Coast gets Richmond's 41 and 47, added to their own 46, then they have enough points for Lombard.

They might offer 6 and 20 for our 2, then give 12 and 26 to Richmond for Rioli plus 41 and 37. Then offer 35 for Noble. Collingwood people seem to think he's worth a first rounder. They're dreaming, but 35 might be a little short.
Think some of those Tigers 2nds and 3rds will go to Lions for their 1st. Lions need points for Ashcroft and Marshall bids.
Tigers might also get 27 off Freo as part of Baker or Bolton deal so that could be used.
I think Noble will cost more than 35 given he's contracted, so perhaps GC's own 26 or Freo's 27 gets it done.
Then there's the Lukosius potential trade as well, so Crows 25, F1 or F2 might come into it for GC.

6 and 20 isnt enough. We should aim for pick 2 + 22 for 6, 12 and 20 at the very least.

They could offer Tiges pick 2 for Rioli and Pick 9 or 10 tiges get from Freo. GC might be happy enough to part with 9 or 10 for Lomard, if he goes later they cash in big time.

Cal Twomey has him ranked at 12 he hasn’t done the Phantom Draft yet.

Having said that if we gave up pick 2 for 6 and 20 I’d convert to the Sack Brady Cult.

I can’t get my head around the number of posters who seem infatuated with Richmond getting our pick 2. Even draft or not it’s the second pick anyone who wants it can pay overs for it end of story.

Last edited:
Because of Sharp.

They wont get Draper this year and next years pick 7-10 ish and their f1 in 2026 is unlikely to be enough to get pick 1 where Sharp is tipped to go. But our est F1 pick 2-4 and their 7-10 probably would be.
Maybe. But if I were them, I'd get the best midfielder I could this year when there are lots to choose from, rather than a ticket in a raffle.

If someone suggested we should trade pick 2 for Richmond's F1 because it's likely that there will be better talls at the top of next year's draft, I don't think it would get much support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back