Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather Tauru at #2 than Langford or Smilie.

Is it a reach? I mean maybe, but according to who is it a reach? His rate of improvement and production is moving in the right direction and he has genuine AFL level traits and athleticism, along with versatility which is important. The other thing he has which is always nice is a late birthday (16th November), so he's roughly 6-7 weeks from being eligible for next year's draft. Taking this into account, along with his rate of improvement, it's not a shock that he's risen so quickly in the last month and might be considered top 5 or 3 by draft time.

I made a post about a month ago that Tauru, Charleson, Hannaford and Faull were my favourite selections from roughly 30 onwards. Since then, Tauru, Hannaford and Faull have put together some excellent performances and are probably the form players of the last month.

I think all 3 of those could be top 15 prospects, and the only reason people are hesitant to be higher on them is because they're sceptical of a name they haven't seen rated right at the top end before (talking top 5) and just assume it's blind faith.

After FO'S, Jagga and Draper, I've got no issue having guys like Tauru, Taj Hotton, Bo Allen (go home factor is scary though) or Murphy Reid in the next group of players I'd be happy with, even at #2 if we had the conviction - I'd have all of them over Smilie or Langford right now. Even Hannaford I'd take at around pick 10 but pick 2 is steep or a small forward who's not as good as Watson at the same age.

This isn't me doing damage control either and trying to force myself to see the positives - I'm happy to put it on the line and call a shit pick or acquisition when I believe it is and have done it numerous times, but I genuinely like the idea of Tauru, even at pick 2.

Last edited:

Draft Intel: 10 players to watch in Coates Talent League Grand Final as Levi Ashcroft goes for history​

Brisbane Lions father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft is vying for a historic feat as he prepares to lead the Sandringham Dragons to another Grand Final. But he’s not the only top draft prospect who will be in action.
Chris Cavanagh

@chriscavanagh1

6 min read
September 19, 2024 - 6:00AM

Brisbane Lions father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft has a chance to make history as he prepares to lead a star-studded Sandringham Dragons into another Coates Talent League Grand Final on Saturday.
The Dragons will be in search of a premiership three-peat when they face off with the Greater Western Victoria Rebels at Ikon Park.
Should they achieve the feat, Ashcroft would become the first player in the competition’s history to win three under-18 flags.
Ashcroft was still just 15 years old when he lined up alongside older brother and current Brisbane young gun Will in a 2022 premiership win over the Dandenong Stingrays.

He won a second premiership against the Eastern Ranges as a 16-year-old last year and could win a third as a 17-year-old this weekend.
One of the youngest players in this year’s draft pool, Ashcroft does not celebrate his 18th birthday until December 18.
However, he has proven a dominant force in underage football this season and racked up 33 disposals and two goals to help the Dragons to a 51-point win over the Stingrays in last week’s preliminary final.
“He’s just a proven winner,” Sandringham Dragons coach Rob Harding said of Ashcroft.
“I couldn’t have been more impressed with Levi this year.”
The Rebels will be looking to spoil the Dragons’ party in what is their first Grand Final appearance since 1997.
That year, the team which was then known as the North Ballarat Rebels scored a 35-point win over the Dandenong Stingrays.
Adam Goodes – who went on to win two AFL premierships and was a two-time Brownlow medallist – kicked six goals for the Rebels in that triumph.

Recruiters will be out in force on Saturday, with more than a dozen likely draft picks set to feature in the decider.
However, Rebels midfielder-forward Sam Lalor (hamstring) and Dragons defender Luke Trainor (concussion protocols) will miss the clash.
Both are considered top-10 prospects for November’s national draft.
Saturday’s match kicks off at 1.15pm, following the Coates Talent League Girls Grand Final between the Oakleigh Chargers and the Eastern Ranges at 10.45am.
The girls Grand Final is a rematch of the 2023 decider, which the Chargers won by seven points.

10 PLAYERS TO WATCH IN COATES TALENT LEAGUE BOYS GRAND FINAL

Levi Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons)
We say:
The younger brother of Brisbane Lions young gun Will, the midfielder is vying for a third Coates Talent League premiership in as many years after also featuring for the Dragons in their 2022 and 2023 titles. Ashcroft has starred across three finals to date, including logging 33 disposals, eight score involvements and two goals in last weekend’s preliminary final.
They say: “Levi’s an ultimate professional already at this age. He doesn’t turn 18 until December, and he’s already so accomplished and such a high-level talent. His contest work, his ball use, his vision and creativity, his leadership has been fantastic.” – Dragons coach Rob Harding.
Jonty Faull (GWV Rebels)
We say:
A 195cm key forward, Faull was sidelined until June with a back injury but has gone on to have a big second half of the year. He kicked five of the Rebels’ 10 goals in last week’s qualifying final win over the Oakleigh Chargers, following on from four goals in the quarter-final the previous week.
They say: “He’s a big power forward that can kick the ball a mile. He’s a really competitive player who has just risen to the challenge of the last couple of weeks.” – Rebels coach David Loader.
Harry Armstrong (Sandringham Dragons)
We say:
A strong-marking 195cm key forward, Armstrong has been discussed as a top-10 pick ever since his stunning game against Vic Country in the last match of the under-18 national championships. He booted four goals from 13 disposals and five marks in the quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.
They say: “What we’re seeing from Harry at the moment is an ability to play high up the ground as a key forward and play deeper. He’s got such great ball use that he can be a connecting player inside 50 from up the ground or he can be a finisher inside 50.” – Dragons coach Rob Harding.

Oliver Hannaford (GWV Rebels)
We say:
While he is a handy player at either end, Hannaford has jumped up in draft calculations since switching from halfback to half-forward in the second half of the year. He kicked a bag of five goals against Oakleigh in round 18 and stood out with six goals in the a quarter-final win over Geelong.
They say: “This kid can just play both ends. He’s got such high end speed, such quick reactions off the mark. He’s so powerful and aggressive. His forward pressure’s A-grade, it’s elite, but he can also hit the scoreboard.” – Rebels coach David Loader
Murphy Reid (Sandringham Dragons)
We say:
A 180cm midfielder, Reid has been a consistent performer at all levels this year. He wins clearances and ground ball, is clean and composed with ball in hand and can go forward and kick goals. He had 25 disposals, six clearances and eight score involvements in last week’s preliminary final.
They say: “Eyes in the back of his head, Murph, is probably the best way to describe it. He’s got such great vision and creativity and understanding around the contest.” – Dragons coach Rob Harding.
Jack Ough (GWV Rebels)
We say:
A powerful 194cm midfielder who wins plenty of contested ball and clearances, Ough has only got better as the year has gone on. His three finals have all been among his top-four rated games this year. He racked up 22 disposals, seven clearances, eight score involvements and a goal in the preliminary final win over Oakleigh.
They say: “He’s that classic inside midfielder. He’s got clean hands. He makes great decisions through traffic and he’ll just get bigger and stronger.” – Rebels coach David Loader.
Sam Marshall (Sandringham Dragons)
We say:
Available to the Brisbane Lions as an Academy player, the 185cm Marshall is a prolific midfielder who works hard on the outside and generally picks out the right option with his disposals. He gathered 27 disposals, seven score involvements and a goal in last week’s preliminary final, which was his top-ranked game this year.
They say: “He’s really found his groove in the last month in our side and his work rate from contest to contest is enormous. I think his contest play as a midfielder has continued to improve all through this year.” – Dragons coach Rob Harding.

Harry Charleson (GWV Rebels)
We say:
The younger brother of Port Adelaide’s Lachlan Charleson, the 182cm rebounding defender has had an impressive year with the Rebels and Vic Country. He has been a little quieter in recent weeks, but has still had some good moments.
They say: “He’s a hard-running half-back flanker that can really defend but can open the game up as well. He’s got pretty high-end speed, he kicks the ball well and he’s quite aggressive at the contest.” – Rebels coach David Loader.
Harrison Oliver (Sandringham Dragons)
We say:
A small rebounding defender with a piercing left-foot kick, Oliver loves to take the game on and break the lines from the back half. He is combative in the contest and sets up scoring chains from the back half.
They say: “He’s really the heart and soul of our group. He’s a great person. He’s part of our leadership group and really connects our group.” – Dragons coach Rob Harding.
Floyd Burmeister (GWV Rebels)
We say:
An exciting and mobile 198cm tall with a background in athletics, Burmeister has featured as a key forward and ruckman this year. While still raw, there is plenty of upside there. Burmeister logged 11 disposals, three marks, four hit-outs and four score involvements in last week’s preliminary final.
They say: “He’s just coming into his own and some of the stuff he did late in the game last week was like, ‘Wow’. There’s not a lot of players that can do that.” – Rebels coach David Loader.

Last edited:
I'd venture if out of the clear blue sky we have any sustained interest in Tauru or Langford then we might be planning for selections a little later in the first round.

I'd venture if out of the clear blue sky we have any sustained interest in Tauru or Langford then we might be planning for selections a little later in the first round.
Almost like perhaps we have brought our first round pick from next year into this year, perhaps for some of those 6-12 type picks.

Maybe we might pick at 2, 6-10 and 10-13. Maybe we might send one of those to Port for Houston. Maybe we might pick at 2 & 10. Maybe we want Draper and Tauru. Who the **** knows.

Almost like perhaps we have brought our first round pick from next year into this year, perhaps for some of those 6-12 type picks.

Maybe we might pick at 2, 6-10 and 10-13. Maybe we might send one of those to Port for Houston. Maybe we might pick at 2 & 10. Maybe we want Draper and Tauru. Who the **** knows.

On this if we ended the off season with

In: Parker Houston Darling Draper Tauru
Out: 2024 #2, 2024 #6, 2024 #10, 2024 #64, 2025 R1, 2024 R3

That is a pretty ****ing demonstrable win for me.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

If we're keeping Chom at CHF then it makes sense to go another gun mid.

If he's living at CHB then we probably need to swap out Draper for one of Shanahan/Whitlock/Gerreyn and get them in the system and developing under the great man Oh my Darling.

A solid rather than spectacular performance from Murphy Reid was all that was needed for the Dragons to roll over the top of the Stingrays, recording a comfortable win and booking their place in another Talent League grand final. While not a dominant display, Murphy was as always a prime mover for Sandy at stoppage and heavily involved in their attacking wave run through the middle with his elite decision making and classy disposal a feature.

If he's living at CHB then we probably need to swap out Draper for one of Shanahan/Whitlock/Gerreyn and get them in the system and developing under the great man Oh my Darling.
Wouldn't need to swap out Draper, would need to take a KPF with 20 which was not listed in FGs post.

I'd rather Tauru at #2 than Langford or Smilie.

Is it a reach? I mean maybe, but according to who is it a reach? His rate of improvement and production is moving in the right direction and he has genuine AFL level traits and athleticism, along with versatility which is important. The other thing he has which is always nice is a late birthday (16th November), so he's roughly 6-7 weeks from being eligible for next year's draft. Taking this into account, along with his rate of improvement, it's not a shock that he's risen so quickly in the last month and might be considered top 5 or 3 by draft time.

I made a post about a month ago that Tauru, Charleson, Hannaford and Faull were my favourite selections from roughly 30 onwards. Since then, Tauru, Hannaford and Faull have put together some excellent performances and are probably the form players of the last month.

I think all 3 of those could be top 15 prospects, and the only reason people are hesitant to be higher on them is because they're sceptical of a name they haven't seen rated right at the top end before (talking top 5) and just assume it's blind faith.

After FO'S, Jagga and Draper, I've got no issue having guys like Tauru, Taj Hotton, Bo Allen (go home factor is scary though) or Murphy Reid in the next group of players I'd be happy with, even at #2 if we had the conviction - I'd have all of them over Smilie or Langford right now. Even Hannaford I'd take at around pick 10 but pick 2 is steep or a small forward who's not as good as Watson at the same age.

This isn't me doing damage control either and trying to force myself to see the positives - I'm happy to put it on the line and call a shit pick or acquisition when I believe it is and have done it numerous times, but I genuinely like the idea of Tauru, even at pick 2.
As always appreciate your thoughts Souup. If you don't mind me asking what do you think Tauru's best position is and where would North likely see a role for him? Highlights seem to take marks and apply pressure all over the ground, and to me looks like a Heeney type role, forward/mid. Seems a unique type, but from a needs perspective, we have Zuurhaar, Curtis, Duursma, Ford in similar sort of roles. Or do you see him as given free reign down back to just go for marks and rebound?

As always appreciate your thoughts Souup. If you don't mind me asking what do you think Tauru's best position is and where would North likely see a role for him? Highlights seem to take marks and apply pressure all over the ground, and to me looks like a Heeney type role, forward/mid. Seems a unique type, but from a needs perspective, we have Zuurhaar, Curtis, Duursma, Ford in similar sort of roles. Or do you see him as given free reign down back to just go for marks and rebound?

I'll admit I saw Heeney too but it's that beautiful hair.

Wouldn't Adelaide pick Draper with their 1st pick at #4?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily a great comparison actually....I was thinking he's Heeney like too. We finally land our big fish
He actually reminds me a bit of Adam Hunter who played for the Eagles 15 years or so ago. Maybe because he used to get swung forward whenever they needed something up there, but was an excellent defender too.

Honestly I think that's the beauty - chuck him wherever you need him. He could genuinely play as a forward, 3rd tall type in defense, as a winger or maybe over time as a mid. He's got sticky hands, works hard, hits hard, is courageous and as you said, applies good defensive pressure.

I'd start him in defense or a wing and go from there. I like the idea in a few years time of having Duursma in the forward line and Tauru in the other flying and clunking them.

I really hope we aren't keen on Langford, but heard it a few times now over the past month. Runs like he has bricks for shoes. Kicking doesn't seem great. No x-factor. Looks to be a solid player given his consistency and stats, but none of the footage I have seen has been particularaly impressive.

Jagga Smith is the clear no 1 for me. I think its a bit silly to question his hurt factor, he gets the ball moving quickly out of congestion and can be really damaging. Only quesiton mark is his physique. Get him on 5000 calories and 2 hours in the gym everyday and see what happens.
I'm not buying into the "We're keen on Langford talk" it's certainly not what I've heard.

Honestly I think that's the beauty - chuck him wherever you need him. He could genuinely play as a forward, 3rd tall type in defense, as a winger or maybe over time as a mid. He's got sticky hands, works hard, hits hard, is courageous and as you said, applies good defensive pressure.

I'd start him in defense or a wing and go from there. I like the idea in a few years time of having Duursma in the forward line and Tauru in the other flying and clunking them.
Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Agreed. Reid looks a beauty. If we reached for him I wouldn't be disappointed.
Reid and Sheeze delivering inside fifty 15 times a game between them would probably result in 10 goals.

It probably also allows us to use Sheeze as a 80/20 mid-forward split, with Reid rotating with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back