Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Won a junior BnF as an under age player, also played 2 seasons with gippy power as under age before going to oakleigh chargers. always kicks goals, so no stranger to scoring and competing against those bigger and stronger.
View attachment 2118935
Jasper Alger is one of my fave small forwards in this draft

I still think we go mid and KPF at 2 and 22

But if we split 2 then there’s a chance we also draft a small forward

Won a junior BnF as an under age player, also played 2 seasons with gippy power as under age before going to oakleigh chargers. always kicks goals, so no stranger to scoring and competing against those bigger and stronger.
View attachment 2118935

I'm no draft expert, but I would have thought he looks a bit young to draft this year...

Last edited:
If a club wants pick 2 they are trading up to select a player that won't be there at their pick, they need to pay accordingly, and pick 6 and 17 as you suggested isn't a good deal for us. If we're splitting the pick then we need to make sure we get a pick within the top 5 and another preferably within the top 10 perhaps one or two later.

You're dreaming. If we managed to get Picks 6 and 10 for Pick 2, we would have made out like bandits. A top 5 and a top 10 is not happening.

Our Pick 2 is absolutely certain to become Pick 3 due to a father-son bid on Levi Ashcroft.

Our best chance of making a trade is with Richmond after they've completed their business with Fremantle and Gold Coast. They might like the idea of having the two best kids after Ashcroft. They could be holding 6, 9, 10, and 16. We would like 6 and 9, and they would prefer it to be 10 and 16. I'm hoping it lands closer to our favour than theirs.

A friend of mine works at Haileybury college and is an assistant coach thier under Matthew Lloyd. Caught up with him over the weekend and he says that the best player they have ever had come through was LDU by a country mile. He states that we still haven’t seen the best of him.
On another note he rates Armstrong as the best KP player he has seen in his 9 years there. Well ahead of King twins. He says he is strong and has the best set of hands he has seen at junior level. One grabs everything.
Also states that Taj Hotton was something special. In the Sheezel category before he did his knee.
Any combo of Armstrong, MReid, Hotton, Berry, Smith, Draper, Tauru or Hannaford would make me happy.

We need class and all of the above bring it.

You're dreaming. If we managed to get Picks 6 and 10 for Pick 2, we would have made out like bandits. A top 5 and a top 10 is not happening.

Our Pick 2 is absolutely certain to become Pick 3 due to a father-son bid on Levi Ashcroft.

Our best chance of making a trade is with Richmond after they've completed their business with Fremantle and Gold Coast. They might like the idea of having the two best kids after Ashcroft. They could be holding 6, 9, 10, and 16. We would like 6 and 9, and they would prefer it to be 10 and 16. I'm hoping it lands closer to our favour than theirs.
That's my point. If on draft night there is a player available at 2 that another club desperately wants, i.e. Adelaide & Draper, then there is a premium to be paid for that pick. We are in the driver's seat we don't have to trade, so why not put a high price on it and see if they come to the party.

This conversation has perplexed me over the past few weeks. It seems reasonably clear that fans and draft experts alike aren't overly high on a particular player at the top end of the draft. Most of the buzz leading into the draft seems to be around players shooting up the board sitting outside the consensus top 5 or 6, while there has been a significant amount of commentary that the draft bats deep well into the later rounds.

Based on all of the available information, it would be a significant risk for any club to want to bundle up picks and trade up to pick 2, regardless of how much draft capital they had. I think this almost certainly rules out any club willing to trade up 2 picks inside 10 to move up to 2. I think the draft pool and not the pick value has to be the main factor when discussing our trade options. It is a unique pool and the trades should be judged accordingly. I am not sure there are any clubs in the league that would trade two picks inside 10 for 2, including us obviously.

With that said, i agree that an option like the one you have presented could be suitable. Sliding back in the top 10 and picking up a second first round pick could be a feasible for both parties. I think there are a number of other options available to us in creating a stronger draft hand, but i highly doubt that will leave us with more than one pick inside 10 without give up more high end draft capital in future drafts.

That's my point. If on draft night there is a player available at 2 that another club desperately wants, i.e. Adelaide & Draper, then there is a premium to be paid for that pick. We are in the driver's seat we don't have to trade, so why not put a high price on it and see if they come to the party.
It's just not realistic. I get the sentiment that if another team does't stump up then walk away, and I'm fine with that approach. But there are still a number of good deals to be made which don't leave us with two pick inside 10, and may involve us taking on a bit of the risk. Draper is ranked outside the top 5 on a number of draft boards. Adelaide would be aware of his standing in the overall pool, and despite their perceived interest in getting an SA player on board, there is no way they would jeopardise their future when they could very likely take a similar quality player at pick 4. There is a trade to be made, but don't be disappointed when it doesn't meet expectation. There is no Daicos, Horne Francis, Sam Darcy or Harley Reid in this draft, and offers for high picks will reflect that.

Put up or shut up, give it your best shot, time to put forward all of your draft and trade scenarios.
image.png

Armstrong was pretty well held for much of the game, with his opponents able to apply enough pressure on him in marking contests that he struggled to hold onto his marks. In spite of those struggles he still showed just how dangerous he can be by capitalising on the few opportunities that did come his way, slotting four majors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back