Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Point being, Brisbane weren't obsessed with hitting the draft for 5, 6 years in a row with top 5 picks. They got 4 or 5 top end kids like we have already.

They traded multiple first round picks for Neale, Charlie Cameron and Dunkley. Became an attractive club to get the tall players like Daniher (didn't draft a skinny 18 year old 200cm player and wait 8 years for them to be a gun).

Point begin, Brisbane weren't obsessed with hitting the draft for 5, 6 years in a row with top 5 picks. They got 4 or 5 top end kids like we have already.

They traded multiple first round picks for Neale, Charlie Cameron and Dunkley. Became an attractive club to get the tall players like Daniher (didn't draft a skinny 18 year old 200cm player and wait 8 years for them to be a gun).

North will never attract top end talent like Brisbane can.

How many of these were traded for a top 4 pick?

Clue: Not even the 2x brownlow medalist.
No, pick 6 and a 19, 50 > Neale, 30.

Interestingly it equated to Neale being worth pick 3.

It would be madness to trade top 3 for a good-excellent player if that player wasn’t addressing an urgent need.

However, looking slightly under the surface, we were terrible transitioning from defensive 50 to forward 50, the only real light being McKercher in that respect.

Landing a fish like Houston (or Daniel) for a fair deal (pick 10-14) would be huge. It would provide not only better quality attack from HB, but someone to assist shutting down oppo smalls (something outside of Archer’s second half of the year) we sucked at. Moving McKercher to a wing knowing we are still going to have decent delivery out of the back half could revolutionise our movement forward.

LDU
Will Phillips
Sheezel
Duursma
Wardlaw
McKerker
Pick 2

Seriously, how many ****ing top 5 picks do we need to be competitive???
Don’t worry with Tassie coming we won’t be getting top 5 picks for a long time from 2027 onwards

7 goals in the 1st quarter of the Grand Final.

4 from small forwards (2Lohmann, Cameron, Papley)
2 from midfielders (McCluggage, Rowbottom)
1 from a medium forward (Hayward)

Draft. Small. Forwards.

Was it exceptional small forward craft? Or the fact the key forwards were Daniher, Hipwood, McDonald, Amartey and McLean? All these guys are either low impact or extremely flaky.

There was prune juice defending by both side, Lions had 158 marks (13 contested) and Swans 88 marks (7 contested), there was a lot of tackles at stoppages but once the ball got out there was very little secondary pressure.

Swans just didn't come out to play.

I would much rather a B grade small forward to a B grade tall forward, the small forward is far more likely to have an impact more consistently.

I think Larkey is a decent forward (when he leads), but he was a pick 72 or something like that in the draft, not a massive investment. I think you can find a decent KPF without breaking the bank. Comben was looking promising before his string of injuries and he was a second rounder.

A big problem we have is that we often treat the forward line as a dumping ground, we will shove a whole bunch of underachievers there because they dont have a role anywhere else on the ground.

I think we need a good 2nd KPF that can at least bring the ball to the ground, Larkey too often concedes uncontested marks to his direct opponent, he isn't physical enough as a key forward. Daniher crashes packs, guys like Hogan will just plow through packs and take strong contested marks or bring the ball to ground. We are missing that kind of player.

I agree, we need to exit players from the forward 50 who provide no scoreboard pressure and don't work hard enough defensively, bring in some smaller forwards who provide that... but I think if Brisbane had 2 or 3 good consistent KPFs they could have scored bags against the Swans and then people would say we need to get more KPFs. Brisbane just played to the strengths they have, rather than it being the only way to win.... imo.

Wasn’t pick 2 though was he. Oh yeah and he won 2 Brownlows.

You trade F1 for an absolute top liner key position or mid. That is all. Love Hous but he ain’t that.
I'm not saying trade pick 2 this year. But F1 should absolutely be on the table for Houston. Back to back AAs in a position where we have Luke ****ing McDonald currently says enough. He's 27 and could be AA in 2025 and 2026 and probably in 2027.

I'm not saying trade pick 2 this year. But F1 should absolutely be on the table for Houston. Back to back AAs in a position where we have Luke ****ing McDonald currently says enough. He's 27 and could be AA in 2025 and 2026 and probably in 2027.
Aka overpaying because we are desperate. Right.

F1 should be viewed as pick 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d consider a future first for SDK who is young so will be there for a decade and can impact now

But wouldn’t do it for Houston

The only way I’d go get Houston is if we split 2 and gave the latter pick for him
What about our f1, 40 for Houston, f1

Death ride Poorta hoping for a Kenny sacking by the bye and a bottom 6 finish lol

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would trade our F1 in a heartbeat if it meant we were more competitive next year and got a few more wins. Next year's best 18 year old in the country could be the best to ever do it and it wouldn't matter for shit if we have another 3 win season next year. It would be disastrous and the club would be in serious jeopardy.

Aka overpaying because we are desperate. Right.

F1 should be viewed as pick 2.
Houston makes more difference than another top-ranked kid. The regular system, which most teams are able to abide by, dictates that you fall down to the bottom, pick up one or two top five picks, and make your way up again. Well, we have six players that we recruited through that system, and there's only doubt over the ability of one of them to make it at the level. The other five: cha-ching.

However, one major problem we have is with a lack of players around Houston's age bracket, and one of the positions we have issues with is Houston's position. If only there was a player who fit both those criteria available on the market.

TLDR; F1 on the table for sure

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back