Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a pretty clear comment I reckon. The principle is fine; the execution was abhorrent.

Everything about it was abhorrent.

Defensive sieve, no pressure, teams walking the length of the field and we’d bomb it in and teams walk it back constantly for a goal.

What was the principal? Play quick with no defensive structures and get annihilated on turnover and rebound?

I guess we look good for about 3% of the game when we had I forward of center in space.

Defensive sieve, no pressure, teams walking the length of the field and we’d bomb it in and teams walk it back constantly for a goal.

What was the principal? Play quick with no defensive structures and get annihilated on turnover and rebound?

I guess we look good for about 3% of the game when we had I forward of center in space.

I’ve been very happy with everything I’m seeing hearing the last month.

But this is a sticking point for me.

Do you play a game plan the suits what you’ve got or play to a style regardless of fit?

I suspect that they are going for something in the middle. Go quick when we can, target the middle when we can. But don’t try and force it. That’s what hope at least.

That said, a couple of points. Our abhorrent defence in the first half of the year didn’t have

• archer
  • Logue
  • a settled comben
  • potentially Houston

We also played our best we we watched up the pressure. That happened in the second half of the season.

So jury is out for me. But it will be telling if we have to switch back to the
Conservative style of play in the second half of the year again.

With different layers of defensive structure behind the ball than the first half of the year.
I think there was obviously a bit of testing as to what systems defensively and offensively suited the group.
Hopefully they've got a clearer idea of what it looks like now.

It’s a pretty clear comment I reckon. The principle is fine; the execution was abhorrent.
Absolutely. The North ball style is what we aspire to but with adequate zoning behind the ball to lock it inside our front half and engineer repeat forward 50 entries rather than allow easy rebounds.

You want to play more like the side that was one of the worst in AFL history, getting pumped by an average of about 10 goals?

What an absolute bizarre comment from them.
It was really concerning to be honest. At the very least they realise that a better system is needed for defending behind the waves we were running in. I personally thought that our second half of the year was better football to watch, simply because we weren’t losing as badly.

We shall see. To reiterate, it felt like an odd thing for Viney to say.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s going to be some big misses in this draft - hopefully it’s not us.
The experts top 30 have so many changes from one to the other.

Can see why clubs such as Freo want to trade for proven talent.
Hahaha wishful thinking. Typically we suck come draft time. Having said this it’s a draft that bats so deep not even blind Freddy could get this wrong!

Twomey mentioned today it would be highly unlikely a team at the top end of the draft (1-5) would be able to split the pick for two later picks in the first round. Leaves the F1 as the key to unlocking another pick in this years draft. Based on the regular themes within this thread it feels like it’s going to be tough for the club to emerge as winners with the fans for both the player they select at 2 (genuine lottery) and the deal we receive as a part of trading our F1 which I feel will less than what people expect.

It was really concerning to be honest. At the very least they realise that a better system is needed for defending behind the waves we were running in. I personally thought that our second half of the year was better football to watch, simply because we weren’t losing as badly.

We shall see. The reiterate, it felt like an odd thing for Viney to say.
After that finals series I'd be more worried if they think the 2nd half year brand will work all the time.
The best ball movement was probably the Pies game but that was probably a bit due to low pressure from the oppo.
You need to have different modes. Fagan mentioned Lions had the short uncontested mark quick ball movement mode and depending on what the opposition does then more chaos run and gun or long to a contest.

But in any case if a team doesn't bring pressure then any system behind the ball doesn't stand a chance.
And likewise if you win the ball out of the middle and lock it in the front half then that gives you a chance to set up and get repeat entries inside 50. Problem is we don't have the pressure small forwards or great ball users, so we'll see what we draft and recruit in that space.

Twomey mentioned today it would be highly unlikely a team at the top end of the draft (1-5) would be able to split the pick for two later picks in the first round. Leaves the F1 as the key to unlocking another pick in this years draft. Based on the regular themes within this thread it feels like it’s going to be tough for the club to emerge as winners with the fans for both the player they select at 2 (genuine lottery) and the deal we receive as a part of trading our F1 which I feel will less than what people expect.
I'd be disappointed if we trade a potential top 3 F1 for a teens pick, but not going to lose until something actually happens.
We also don't necessarily know what teams will have what picks until trade week is done. Strap ourselves in I guess.

There is no way M.Reid goes before Draper in my mind. Draper does everything better, and is far quicker and far more physical.

The overinflating of Reid is because Twomey has a hard on for him. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Reid isn't taken in the top 10, he really doesn't like contact and he is a bit one paced imo.
There's that, but there's also the fact that he plays lights out in almost every big game he plays in.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back