Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cody shapes as the number 1 key defender prospect in the pool entering 2025, although he's also played forward to great effect at Colts level this season. He's much stronger overhead than his brother Dan and looks a more intense competitor, similarly solid disposal skills but perhaps little less clean with the ground ball.

Wasn’t that impressed tbh

But yes looks the likely best KPD next year

Unless Duursma settles as a KPD

But duurs played third tall rebounding hbf and the midfield

No promises but I'll check him out.

noobermensch I am hearing some Box Hill players are getting interest in particular Jake Arundell. Small fwd. The games I saw he was elite. Can u pls share some vision? We could see a record number of state league players taken this year.
Found this from a couple of years ago! Played on Cooper Vickery by the look of it. Nick Watson and Max Hall playing for Eastern

Found this from a couple of years ago! Played on Cooper Vickery by the look of it. Nick Watson and Max Hall playing for Eastern
Looks busy and classy

Being OS for 2/3 weeks omg, so much to catch up:eek:

Really think we need to somehow split 2 only because we've been linked to so many players...we can't go into this draft with only picks 2 & 22!!
Parker & Darling confirmed but what are we giving up?
There's Dan Houston..Port will want a decent picks...worth Pick 2 & future 1st? IMO, no because we can't even rise from 17th posi and giving up #2 and future 1st in the hope that we can be Hawthorn of 2025...not taking that risk on a 27yo and the immaturity of this list!
Caleb Daniels. Konstanty, Owies, Wines, Duncan, etc...great that we are linked to a lot of 'explore other options' players and if we can snag one or two of these but again, there's a price attached to them and that's draft picks.

On game style - pretty simple, there's these 3 zones called Backline, Midfield and Forwardline...don't care how Clarko does it but if he can connect all three using varying game plans then we are truly on our way - reckon Brisbane is the blue print for our game plan, trying play this Northball crap is all well and good but our foot skills and decision making need to go to another level if we wanted to play that style not to mention 4 quarters of pressure football.

Anyway...Bo Allen and Trainor ;):grinning:

Being OS for 2/3 weeks omg, so much to catch up:eek:

Really think we need to somehow split 2 only because we've been linked to so many players...we can't go into this draft with only picks 2 & 22!!
Parker & Darling confirmed but what are we giving up?
There's Dan Houston..Port will want a decent picks...worth Pick 2 & future 1st? IMO, no because we can't even rise from 17th posi and giving up #2 and future 1st in the hope that we can be Hawthorn of 2025...not taking that risk on a 27yo and the immaturity of this list!
Caleb Daniels. Konstanty, Owies, Wines, Duncan, etc...great that we are linked to a lot of 'explore other options' players and if we can snag one or two of these but again, there's a price attached to them and that's draft picks.

On game style - pretty simple, there's these 3 zones called Backline, Midfield and Forwardline...don't care how Clarko does it but if he can connect all three using varying game plans then we are truly on our way - reckon Brisbane is the blue print for our game plan, trying play this Northball crap is all well and good but our foot skills and decision making need to go to another level if we wanted to play that style not to mention 4 quarters of pressure football.

Anyway...Bo Allen and Trainor ;):grinning:

Not concerned about Trainor's concussion issues? It's a bit of a risk to be taking.

Not concerned about Trainor's concussion issues? It's a bit of a risk to be taking.
Narh not really because it's something we as fan's need to be conditioned too that more and more players will be injured through concussion than anything else next year and l do like that at U18 and below are taking extra precaution in treating young players for concussion more cautiously then the men's.

Narh not really because it's something we as fan's need to be conditioned too that more and more players will be injured through concussion than anything else next year and l do like that at U18 and below are taking extra precaution in treating young players for concussion more cautiously then the men's.

I think it's a risk we can't afford to take at this stage of our rebuild.

I think it's a risk we can't afford to take at this stage of our rebuild.
Maybe but Simpkin could have another knock and that could be it for him, some had concerns on how Wardlaw pulled up from his concussion..always a risk.
TBH, I like Trainor because he is a BFNAAK, loves the club and kid seems to play well in big games so fitting in the club and it's history is a no brainer be like getting a F&S BUT if they went M.Whitlock l'd be just as happy...bias towards versatile players considering where this game is heading.
I'm more worried about our pursuit of Houston and what's that going to cost!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe but Simpkin could have another knock and that could be it for him, some had concerns on how Wardlaw pulled up from his concussion..always a risk.
TBH, I like Trainor because he is a BFNAAK, loves the club and kid seems to play well in big games so fitting in the club and it's history is a no brainer be like getting a F&S BUT if they went M.Whitlock l'd be just as happy...bias towards versatile players considering where this game is heading.
I'm more worried about our pursuit of Houston and what's that going to cost!

Yeah the whole BFNAAK thing is not really the best way to go about putting together a premiership list in my mind. It's one thing for Simpkin to be one knock away but it's a whole other thing to spend a top 20 pick on a kid who is possibly one knock away.

I'd prefer Tauru over Trainor with Trainor's concussion issues.

Tauru is a really nice, one grab player. That's what stood out to me most about him. 191cm is my main knock. Where's the point of difference that will add another dynamic to our forward line?

Yeah the whole BFNAAK thing is not really the best way to go about putting together a premiership list in my mind. It's one thing for Simpkin to be one knock away but it's a whole other thing to spend a top 20 pick on a kid who is possibly one knock away.
No different to a knee really or any other career ending injuries but l do understand the concern but l reckon it's a bit blown out of proportion...it's not Paddy McCartin we're talking about.

Our pick 22 will be what...pick 27 maybe 28? Even with his concussion concerns, doubt he'll be there at #27/28.

In that case, i'd much prefer we use our draft capital on a key and small forward. Plenty of good ones in this draft.
I don't think we take Tauru if we only have 1 pick. I reckon we are taking Armstrong, but possibly sliding back with Crows and some change.

*Plus, don't count out the Tigers ending up with pick 2 from FA. Been posted in the trade thread. Very likely IMO

That's fair I'm talking more if we split picks, grab a key forward and Tauru plays down back.

Personally i'd be a bit disappointed if we drafted another key defender at the pointy end of the draft this year. I think we're already set with what we have in Logue, Corr and Comben. W. Dawson to take over from Corr and K. Dawson as depth.

If we split, i would be hoping for Hannaford/ Berry, Armstrong/ Shanahan and then Gerryn with a second rounder if all of those previously mentioned are gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back