Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

From my POV, we have to split 2 to get the max value from this draft class...2 & 22 doesn't cut it for especially if 40 could be used for Parker.
i don't mind going to the draft with just 2 and 22 (and then upgrade a rookie)

that's a gun mid at 2 and a KPF at 22 (which will be pushed out a bit)

but yes I would also be open to splitting 2

Damnit. I liked it better when we were tossing over drafting fos, Draper and co.

Since the houston talk, it’s been pick 12 if we’re lucky to have it and use it on trainor

A couple of discussion points I wanted to raise with like-minded draft connoisseurs on this thread.

With the evenness of the draft crop and uncertainty around the top 5, I find it increasingly unlikely that any club will entertain our offer to split pick 2.
With that being said, my preference for pick 2 (based only on watching highlight videos and consuming endless draft articles) is;
1. F. O'Sullivan - just seems to make things happen. Brings others into the game and creates attacking opportunities.
2. S. Draper - like others I am wary of South Australians, but as the next best available this kid is it. He is explosive with his stoppage work, and seems like he could adapt to being more than a one dimensional midfielder.
3. J.Smith - this kid cannot be denied. Best performed draftee and seems to have improved the areas of his game that were questioned. He was more direct with his kicking and better defensively towards the end of the season.
4. H. Armstrong - nothing I can say here that hasn't been said a million times already on this thread. Is he good enough to go pick 2 though?

Harvey Langford presents an interesting case study. On the main draft board they seem to rate him higher than many do around here. Many say he is a walk up start to go pick 2 because he provides something different to our midfield mix. Definitely has all the tools to be a star. Great kick, strong mark, finds the goals. Questions are there about whether his athleticism will transfer to the big leagues. The combine will tell us a lot. Potentially a bit riskier than the 4 mentioned above.

With regards to our 2nd round pick. It seems to be dropping back a bit with the latest compo allocations. If we take one of the mids with our first, then surely a key forward must be second. Most will probably be gone by the time our pick rolls around but Gerryn might be a chance. That kids ceiling is immense. If not the G-man then maybe an aggressive competitor like Faull would be the go.
If we select Armstrong first, I reckon the good small forwards will be off the board. Tauru would be good if he was still there and O'Farrell could be a steal after an injury interrupted senior year.

Long read guys, stay with me!! Last one - I personally don't like the idea of trading the future first. As much as we all dream that we will take the next step and join the pack in 2025, there is still every chance we could be bottom 5 (I really want out of the bottom 4!!) once again. I love draft time and hate the idea of not having our pick. Burns my ass thinking about the 2019 draft and wondering what a Serong or a Kozzie could have meant for our team (as much as I love Tommy Powell)

That's all guys. Go Roos 🦘

Last edited:
Personally i'd be a bit disappointed if we drafted another key defender at the pointy end of the draft this year. I think we're already set with what we have in Logue, Corr and Comben. W. Dawson to take over from Corr and K. Dawson as depth.

If we split, i would be hoping for Hannaford/ Berry, Armstrong/ Shanahan and then Gerryn with a second rounder if all of those previously mentioned are gone.
Just saying if it came down to Tauru vs Trainor. I'd prefer Tauru as less risky option and better talent imo.
He's probably more of a utility like a Will Day given he's played back and forward. Might even play mid/wing.

For sure I'd have a key forward and small forward like Berry/Hannaford/Alger at the top of the priority list myself, but there's suggestions we like Tauru in the draft. We do need to replace Corr/K Dawson/LMac long term.

We could split and take a kpf and Berry/Hannaford or take a kpf and Tauru and get a small forward at 22 (24) out of Berry/Hannaford/Alger/Dattoli or take a kpf at 24. There's lots of options. We'll see what happens.

A couple of discussion points I wanted to raise with like-minded draft connoisseurs on this thread.

With the evenness of the draft crop and uncertainty around the top 5, I find it increasingly unlikely that any club will entertain our offer to split pick 2.
With that being said, my preference for pick 2 (based only on watching highlight videos and consuming endless draft articles) is;
1. F. O'Sullivan - just seems to make things happen. Brings others into the game and creates attacking opportunities.
2. S. Draper - like others I am wary of South Australians, but as the next best available this kid is it. He is explosive with his stoppage work, and seems like he could adapt to being more than a one dimensional midfielder.
3. J.Smith - this kid cannot be denied. Best performed draftee and seems to have improved the areas of his game that were questioned. He was more direct with his kicking and better defensively towards the end of the season.
4. H. Armstrong - nothing I can say here that hasn't been said a million times already on this thread. Is he good enough to go pick 2 though?

Harvey Langford presents an interesting case study. On the main draft board they seem to rate him higher than many do around here. Many say he is a walk up start to go pick 2 because he provides something different to our midfield mix. Definitely has all the tools to be a star. Great kick, strong mark, finds the goals. Questions are there about whether his athleticism will transfer to the big leagues. The combine will tell us a lot. Potentially a bit riskier than the 4 mentioned above.

With regards to our 2nd round pick. It seems to be dropping back a bit with the latest compo allocations. If we take one of the mids with our first, then surely a key forward must be second. Most will probably be gone by the time our pick rolls around but Gerryn might be a chance. That kids ceiling is immense. If not the G-man then maybe an aggressive competitor like Faull would be the go.
If we select Armstrong first, I reckon the good small forwards will be off the board. Tauru would be good if he was still there and O'Farrell could be a steal after an injury interrupted senior year.

Long read guys, stay with me!! Last one - I personally don't like the idea of trading the future first. As much as we all dream that we will take the next step and join the pack in 2025, there is still every chance we could be bottom 5 (I really want out of the bottom 4!!) once again. I love draft time and hate the idea of not having our pick. Burns my ass thinking about the 2019 draft and wondering what a Serong or a Kozzie could have meant for our team (as much as I love Tommy Powell)

That's all guys. Go Roos 🦘
You forgot Lalor. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 2.
I'm of the opinion that Armstrong is good enough to be pick 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saying if it came down to Tauru vs Trainor. I'd prefer Tauru as less risky option and better talent imo.
He's probably more of a utility like a Will Day given he's played back and forward. Might even play mid/wing.

For sure I'd have a key forward and small forward like Berry/Hannaford/Alger at the top of the priority list myself, but there's suggestions we like Tauru in the draft. We do need to replace Corr/K Dawson/LMac long term.

We could split and take a kpf and Berry/Hannaford or take a kpf and Tauru and get a small forward at 22 (24) out of Berry/Hannaford/Alger/Dattoli or take a kpf at 24. There's lots of options. We'll see what happens.

I agree with you on Tauru vs Trainor.

We hopefully already have the replacement for Corr with W. Dawson. I don't mind the idea of keeping K. Dawson on our list. Every team needs a serviceable back up defender that doesn't cost a lot which I think K. Dawson is at worst.

Who are the two they are zeroing in one? Smith? Langford? Lalor? Smillie?
Twomey kinda mentioned Smith, Lalor, FOS, Langford and Smillie have narrowed as the no. 1 pick options.

Smillie or Lalor over Draper

And Shanahan interchangeable with armstrong
Yea i’d take that due to a player who is a bit of a risk (Draper) because of his injury. We need fresh legs a Harvey Langford or a Lalor could suit. Wouldn’t see Smillie come to the team would be at the Saints I reckon.

Feel like they have put Lalor @1 and Tauru that early purely to be different. If Tauru has a good combine though it wouldn’t surprise me to see him push into top 15 even 10 calculations

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back