Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sid Draper is one of my favorite players in the draft but I doubt he goes pick 2 due to his ACL. Also I wouldn't want a player with no big injury history just too much of a risk

When did Draper do his ACL? He's had a shin injury to start the year and his back kept him out of the combine, nothing too worrying there.

People so used to getting bent over 6 & 18 are being put up as reasonable?

6 & 11

f2 for 20

they've got 10,000 points ffs

Hold the line.
The problem with this outlook is that it assumes we are working with Richmond in isolation, and there will be no other competition for Richmond draft hand. There will be significant options for Richmond at every pick they hold

The problem with this outlook is that it assumes we are working with Richmond in isolation, and there will be no other competition for Richmond draft hand. There will be significant options for Richmond at every pick they hold
they want 2 of FOS/Jagga/Lalor

they won't get that by holding their picks

View attachment 2146504

History and 'facts' would have told the Dogs to trade up in 2013 too because Pick 4 was a historically shit pick. I suppose we should have traded back (or ahead) when we had pick 4 (and picked LDU) in 2017 because the pick was historically bad? Maybe trade back to a pick which had a better hit rate historically?

It's an argument that is ridiculous because it checks the brain at the door.

With testing and interviews pick 4 has become much better in recent times - LDU, M King, McDonald, N Daicos, Wardlaw, Duursma. I'll take quality over quantity.

With testing and interviews pick 4 has become much better in recent times - LDU, M King, McDonald, N Daicos, Wardlaw, Duursma. I'll take quality over quantity.
With testing and interviews, all picks have become better in recent times.

Some clubs rate some players higher than others, and recognise they can get them with a later pick. If we rate Tauru very highly and are willing to spend pick 2 on him, we'd be stupid not to trade back to 6 if we can get him there along with acquiring pick 10 or 11.

Tauru's second half against the Stringrays in the CTL finals has turned everyone's head and mainly ours by the looks of it.

At that point people probably thought of him as a 10-14 prospect given how aggressive and strong of an interceptor he'd developed into across the year.

He looked like an alpha, mobile, aggressive, modern KPF/CHF in that game and turned the tide in that game when moved up forward however. Dominant in the air, involved at ground level, setting the tone for forward pressure, his endurance numbers are excellent and he was getting up and down the ground even intercepting the ball as part of the forward half zone.

The fact he's grown an inch since preseason, his vertical numbers, long arms and game style you can see why he's bolted.

Everyone laments not having an additional pick for Caddy last year, but there were question marks with Nate. He played like a flanker at time, he liked the ball on ground level, whilst good overhead with long arms, he wasn't quite KPP size and how that might translate on a genuine #1 200cm AFL KPD. He was hot and cold throughout the season.

I don't have any of those same reservations with Tauru. He's taller, he's more aggressive in the air than Caddy, he's right at the pointy end of young talls and attacking the footy in the air and competitiveness (Im talking Jono Brown, Riewoldt etc) he's just as mobile and quick. He's got a big tank for a tall. With his vertical and the strength of his hands, he's going to be a handful for any defender at AFL level, also a genuine swingman whether forward or back.

Clubs would see the potential of Charlie Curnow 2.0 and I think I agree with them after that game. You can just imagine him with 10kg's. The fact he's looked like James Sicily for most of the year in defence, only further strengthens his prospects.

His sample size as a forward is admittedly very small, but I think some clubs would view that as a positive. He's come from the clouds this season, had he played more forward, he might not even be an option, even as high as #6.

Sometimes you only need to see flashes of a player, they were there in spades in that final. So much so I'd rate him ahead of Cadman in his draft year comparatively now.

IF of this is not to say we should just accept anything for #2 though.
How do you feel about his skills and decision making. When watching footage he looks to miss targets a lot with poor execution of skills, and then also make bad/lazy decisions with ball in hand. That's my only concern for him.

Since 2010 its been good. Not every pick tho as the like of Toumpass and McDonald show.

Not sure if we've said this before...but this could be the last top 3 pick this list gets...🥴(best spoon team ever 🤣)

If FOS turns out to be the peak Josh Kelly we never had I'm going to be pissed for the length of yet another career.

Pick 2 is for SIGNIFICANT overs. That's a reasonable to position to hold imo. 6 & 11 is break even not overs.

Unrated options :
2 - Existing
2, 20 - Our F2
6, 11 - slide to Rich
2, 11 - Our 2025 F1 To Rich
2, 14 - Our 2025 F1 to Freo
7, F1 - Saints swap
2, 15, 16 - Our F1 to GWS
All in:
6,11, 14 for 2 and F1 to Freo

Last edited:
Tauru's second half against the Stringrays in the CTL finals has turned everyone's head and mainly ours by the looks of it.

At that point people probably thought of him as a 10-14 prospect given how aggressive and strong of an interceptor he'd developed into across the year.

He looked like an alpha, mobile, aggressive, modern KPF/CHF in that game and turned the tide in that game when moved up forward however. Dominant in the air, involved at ground level, setting the tone for forward pressure, his endurance numbers are excellent and he was getting up and down the ground even intercepting the ball as part of the forward half zone.

The fact he's grown an inch since preseason, his vertical numbers, long arms and game style you can see why he's bolted.

Everyone laments not having an additional pick for Caddy last year, but there were question marks with Nate. He played like a flanker at time, he liked the ball on ground level, whilst good overhead with long arms, he wasn't quite KPP size and how that might translate on a genuine #1 200cm AFL KPD. He was hot and cold throughout the season.

I don't have any of those same reservations with Tauru. He's taller, he's more aggressive in the air than Caddy, he's right at the pointy end of young talls and attacking the footy in the air and competitiveness (Im talking Jono Brown, Riewoldt etc) he's just as mobile and quick. He's got a big tank for a tall. With his vertical and the strength of his hands, he's going to be a handful for any defender at AFL level, also a genuine swingman whether forward or back.

Clubs would see the potential of Charlie Curnow 2.0 and I think I agree with them after that game. You can just imagine him with 10kg's. The fact he's looked like James Sicily for most of the year in defence, only further strengthens his prospects.

His sample size as a forward is admittedly very small, but I think some clubs would view that as a positive. He's come from the clouds this season, had he played more forward, he might not even be an option, even as high as #6.

Sometimes you only need to see flashes of a player, they were there in spades in that final. So much so I'd rate him ahead of Cadman in his draft year comparatively now.

IF of this is not to say we should just accept anything for #2 though.
Thanks for detailed thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people's thoughts of trading our 2025 R1 + R3 for GWS's haul of 15,16 & 21?

If we are thinking of trading F1, we really ought to consider it.

First thing first:
2 + 2025 R2 + 2025 R4 > Richmond > 6, 11, 24

6 - Tauru
11- Gerryn
24- Dodson

Then after gaining HQ's permission.

2025 R1 + R3 > GWS > 15,16,21

15 - Hotton
16- Berry
21- Hannaford

Retire/Delist/Payout/Rid of: Stephenson, Biggie, Greenwood, Taylor, Shiels, CCJ, Lazzaro, Drury, Sellers & Free.

What are people's thoughts of trading our 2025 R1 + R3 for GWS's haul of 15,16 & 21?

If we are thinking of trading F1, we really ought to consider it.

First thing first:
2 + 2025 R2 + 2025 R4 > Richmond > 6, 11, 24

6 - Tauru
11- Gerryn
24- Dodson

Then after gaining HQ's permission.

2025 R1 + R3 > GWS > 15,16,21

15 - Hotton
16- Berry
21- Hannaford

Retire/Delist/Payout/Rid of: Stephenson, Biggie, Greenwood, Taylor, Shiels, CCJ, Lazzaro, Drury, Sellers & Free.

We don't have the list spots to add six players.

I had to edit it multiple times.

2 won't translate into 6 & 10 or 6 & 11. 2 for 6 & 20 is roughly the same amount of points. If we want 6 and 10 or 11 we'd have to give up more. I was looking purely at a direct value comparison.
Yep this is the reality. 6 and 18 would be a good result for the club.

I know everyone on this forum want 6/10-6/11 but it wont happen.

Maybe we throw in our F1, and that can help us mix up the deal, though.

Came to suss what Kangas fans were saying about splitting your pick...

I hate to pop the bubble, but there's absolutely no chance Richmond would trade out pick 10 or 11 to move up 4 spots from 6 to 2, in what has been well established as one of the most even drafts of all time.

That trade would be a significantly worse outcome for the Tigers as opposed to just taking our picks 1, 6, 10 and 11 to the draft. Effectively, it would mean giving up a top 10 pick to rise 4 spots.

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thing is, with pick 2 you take exactly who you want. With pick 6, you take whoever is left. I'd say that's a bit of a difference.

It's not a "good result". It's about fair on a points value thats getting altered by 25% next season to especially prioritize top 5 picks.

In next years draft index, there's a liklihood that 6 & 11 is about parity for 2 on a points value.

As that's the sort of draft hand you are going to have to starting coming with to start matching bids for a Ashcroft equivalent from next year onwards (hopefully)

Yeah I wouldn’t do it if I were a tigers fan either. But I would be tempted by 2 and F1 for 6, 10 and one of the later first rounders. Tigers need multiple years to attack the draft and our F1 would be perfect for you (albeit agreed that this is a deep draft this year so I’d try to keep at least 4-5 first rounders)

That's nuts! Let's be honest with ourselves, our F1 is more than likely going to be a pick somewhere between 2 and 4. Let's say 3 for arguments sake.

So you're going to give up a pick 2 and 3 for 6, 10 and 18? Absurd!

We wouldn't have thought this to be a good trade in previous years we've held a top 2 pick, so not sure why we should settle for it now.

Pick 2 is the prize. Letting Richmond get it without having to lose 10 or 11 would be an amazing result for them.

If they won't go higher than. 6/18 then hold onto 2 and see what futures might get instead.

True, anything could happen for sure. I just think 6 and 11 for 2 is unrealistic from a Richmond perspective.

To be fair I think teams like Carlton who are might contend might be more likely to target and move up for a specific player. Whereas Richmond is in a different spot considering we won twice in 2024 and then proceeded to trade half our team lol. We'd be slightly more inclined to go for a quantity approach, as evidenced by how many picks we've gone to acquire.

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really? Try putting your other hat on and I think you would be saying it's more than reasonable. P1ss off mate!

We wouldn't have thought this to be a good trade in previous years we've held a top 2 pick, so not sure why we should settle for it now.

Pick 2 is the prize. Letting Richmond get it without having to lose 10 or 11 would be an amazing result for them.

If they won't go higher than. 6/18 then hold onto 2 and see what futures might get instead.

Exactly.

If they don't budge they can figure out a way of trying to defend McKercher and FOS in the coming years with the likes of M.Reid, Hynes, Moraes, Jack Ross and Thomson Dow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back