Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day Kangas I hope it's ok to jump in here with my thoughts as a Tigers supporter.

Personally, I think we should NOT chase pick 2 from North. The top 7-8 picks seem to be very even, and I don't think it's worth trading multiple picks to gain 4 spots and probably lose pick 11 as well especially seeing as we have such early picks in 1,6,10 &11.
I think we will use 6 of the 8 picks in the draft and the other 2 try for future 1st's from teams like Sydney/Geelong.
Reading through this thread it looks like you guys are after similar players to us and in all honesty if we did help North split picks, it would hinder us in getting the players we need.

I'm hoping we can get the following:

Pick 1: Langford
Pick 6: Lalor
Pick 10: Armstrong
Pick 11: Travaglia/Tauru
Lalor ain’t lasting til 6

You have more of a chance swapping 1 and 6

And I’m also now on keeping pick 2 and completing our midfield by taking FOS or Lalor

G'day Kangas I hope it's ok to jump in here with my thoughts as a Tigers supporter.

Personally, I think we should NOT chase pick 2 from North. The top 7-8 picks seem to be very even, and I don't think it's worth trading multiple picks to gain 4 spots and probably lose pick 11 as well especially seeing as we have such early picks in 1,6,10 &11.
I think we will use 6 of the 8 picks in the draft and the other 2 try for future 1st's from teams like Sydney/Geelong.
Reading through this thread it looks like you guys are after similar players to us and in all honesty if we did help North split picks, it would hinder us in getting the players we need.

Pick 6 Lalor HAHAHAHAHA you are cooked.

Lalor ain’t lasting til 6

You have more of a chance swapping 1 and 6

And I’m also now on keeping pick 2 and completing our midfield by taking FOS or Lalor

It's hard to say but if you leave Ashcroft and Lombard out.

Then the Top 6 will probably be in any order:

Langford
FOS
Draper
Smith
Reid
Lalor

But there could be a smokey or 2 where someone might pick a key position player.

Last edited:

Langford
FOS
Draper
Smith
Draper
Lalor

But there could be a smokey or 2 where someone might pick a key position player.
Draper twins? There is not a ****ing chance in hell Lalor lasts till pick 6.

Dreaming.

Langford
FOS
Draper
Smith
Draper
Lalor

I'm not sure how likely Draper going at 3 and 5 is? Do the teams take alternative weeks? Innovative!

I think you're more likely to swap our 1st next year for something. Spread the intake of kids in over 2 seasons.

I'm one of the few that actually hopes we keep hold of pick 2 and trade in futures if we can.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Langford
FOS
Draper
Smith
Reid
Lalor

Top 4 not incl father son will be in some order Lalor, FOS, Jagga and draper

Dees then take likely one of Langford Tauru or Armstrong

So at 6 you get one of them

Reid ain’t going top 6, his best bet is the saints picks

Seems like a good enough plan. However, you wouldn't believe the number of Tiger supporters who have popped in the say they aren't interested in pick 2. You seem obsessed by your disinterest. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Have to agree, if the tigers got pick 2, they are teaming up their elite midfield with a one two punch, and have the CHOICE on who to get. You know I've heard the reasons why teams won't do it, I've heard why they can't do it, but what if one of the teams did do it? For all the logic and the reasoning from some opposition supporters and some of us, it surprise's me that they are completely hooked on the "even draft" phrase, let me spin it another way, if professional's in our sport {list managers & recruiters & the coach of AFL clubs all feel the same way with the even "draft phrase", then why do you think Carlton did it?
According to some of the people, they are crazy / silly and have no idea, but you know what, there are two things missing here, one they know what they are doing and second, they are professional's. Someone will try and justify what Carlton did because its so illogical in an even draft to do something like that, that the answer must lie elsewhere. Picks 12 and 14 are in that sweet spot that so many teams were trying to trade up to {pick 13, anyone remember that pick?} Yeah well guess what, they dropped kick those picks into the river to get one of the elite midfielders of their choosing at pick 3, seriously Carlton couldn't move fast enough to get to pick 3 and Richmond have a swathe of picks so upgrading is even a bigger certainty because they will have some other picks to fall back on. My small table below, may help.
pick #1 elite
pick #2 elite
pick #3 elite
pick #4 elite
pick #5 elite
pick #6 elite

pick #7 very good
pick #8 very good
pick #9 very good
pick #10 very good
and so on to around pick #18

From around pick #19 onwards good

For recruiters and list managers it won't be all about picks, it will be about the players in question and where they think they may fall, this draft will be about three things, intel, decisions and confidence.
There aren't any elite prospects in this draft.

If the tigers have the list spots then they are best served taking as many rolls of the dice as possible. Some players will turn out to be good.

Draft watchers talk themselves into a consensus but I wouldn't be betting anything that the likes of FOS and Lalor will be better players than whoever gets taken at picks 10 & 11.

I wouldn't give up pick 18 in this draft to go from 6 to 2. Pick 2 and 6 are worth about the same in this draft, and they're not worth much more than pick 10.

If I was holding 10 & 18 then I wouldn't trade them for pick 2. I would most years but not this year.

I reckon if you put the guys taken at 2, 6, 10 and 11 together then they are hard to split.

It's a pure optics thing if the Tigers talk themselves into trading to end up with picks 1 & 2.

Lies No GIF

Seems like a good enough plan. However, you wouldn't believe the number of Tiger supporters who have popped in the say they aren't interested in pick 2. You seem obsessed by your disinterest. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I think it's more the way that Kanga's supporters think we really need pick 2 or we will fail in the draft. Let's face it North have 1 pick which is a great pick at #2 but you still have holes to fill in your list and the biggest is a KPF or else you wouldn't have got Darling and using pick 2 is a waste when the best available will be a midfielder. So of course splitting pick 2 makes sense and I agree it is worth around 2x Top 10 picks but for the Tigers it makes No sense swapping say 6&11 for 2 when we can get just as good player at 6 and losing pick 11.

I think it's more the way that Kanga's supporters think we really need pick 2 or we will fail in the draft. Let's face it North have 1 pick which is a great pick at #2 but you still have holes to fill in your list and the biggest is a KPF or else you wouldn't have got Darling and using pick 2 is a waste when the best available will be a midfielder. So of course splitting pick 2 makes sense and I agree it is worth around 2x Top 10 picks but for the Tigers it makes No sense swapping say 6&11 for 2 when we can get just as good player at 6 and losing pick 11.
Let’s put it this way if you guys want 2 of fos, Lalor, jagga And Draper

The only way you will get that is by trading up.

They ain’t lasting til 6

You can get the next rung of mids instead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There aren't any elite prospects in this draft.

If the tigers have the list spots then they are best served taking as many rolls of the dice as possible. Some players will turn out to be good.

Draft watchers talk themselves into a consensus but I wouldn't be betting anything that the likes of FOS and Lalor will be better players than whoever gets taken at picks 10 & 11.

I wouldn't give up pick 18 in this draft to go from 6 to 2. Pick 2 and 6 are worth about the same in this draft, and they're not worth much more than pick 10.

If I was holding 10 & 18 then I wouldn't trade them for pick 2. I would most years but not this year.

I reckon if you put the guys taken at 2, 6, 10 and 11 together then they are hard to split.

It's a pure optics thing if the Tigers talk themselves into trading to end up with picks 1 & 2.
There will be elite talent in this draft - that's why teams employ scouts and list departments to identify and secure the picks they need to select who they want.

Sure, there will be scouts who think it's very even, but there as sure as shit will be scouts who have identified and elevated 2-3 prospects above all others.

If we want to trade down and get maximum return on 2, i think we need to trade our f1 in before the draft as 2, 62 alone make us look a bit on the needy side.
It also gives us the option of picking a Lalor type at 2 and still getting a Jitlock/Armstrong or Berry around 9-12 mark.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Tiggers have been really big on FOS for a long time. They are now really big on Lalor as well as a potential Dusty replacement. My belief is that if we don't trade out of pick 2, then we are going to take whichever out of FOS/Lalor that the Tiggers don't take. If we keep our pick 2, then one way it could play out on draft night would be this:

1. Rich FOS/Lalor
2. Bris Ashcroft (match North bid)
3. North FOS/Lalor
4. Carl Smith
5. Adel Draper
6. Melb Langford

If the Tiggers really want Langford, then they could potentially swing a trade with the Dees to move up one spot with one of their picks in the 20s. Don't think at this stage that Langford will go top 5.

The Tiggers have been really big on FOS for a long time. They are now really big on Lalor as well as a potential Dusty replacement. My belief is that if we don't trade out of pick 2, then we are going to take whichever out of FOS/Lalor that the Tiggers don't take. If we keep our pick 2, then one way it could play out on draft night would be this:

1. Rich FOS/Lalor
3. North FOS/Lalor
4. Carl Smith
5. Adel Draper
6. Melb Langford

If the Tiggers really want Langford, then they could potentially swing a trade with the Dees to move up one spot with one of their picks in the 20s. Don't think at this stage that Langford will go top 5.

I think we’re more likely to take Draper than Lalor, or at the very least that is what we will make people think.

Adelaide will be where we are looking to slip back. 6 might not be close enough. Rawlings said they only wanted to slide back slightly.

More chance of you playing the Richmond team song from your clacker after a dodgy Butter Chicken, than your mob overlooking Jagga at 1 pal..

1. Rich FOS/Lalor
3. North FOS/Lalor
4. Carl Smith
5. Adel Draper
6. Melb Langford

Mate they need a ball magnet to accumulate while they still have grasshopper and tarantula as inside mids.

Jagga is a certainty for 1.

I think we’re more likely to take Draper than Lalor, or at the very least that is what we will make people think.

Adelaide will be where we are looking to slip back. 6 might not be close enough. Rawlings said they only wanted to slide back slightly.
Yes, on the surface that does seem feasible. However the Crows have a similar draft hand to use, a top-end pick then a junk one. They don't have a future 2nd either. So I can't see what they could possibly offer us to tempt us to move back.

Let’s put it this way if you guys want 2 of fos, Lalor, jagga And Draper

The only way you will get that is by trading up.

They ain’t lasting til 6

You can get the next rung of mids instead

You are forgetting that we have pick 1 so we are certain on one of them. Smillie is another who could go higher than expected as well.

Mate they need a ball magnet to accumulate while they still have grasshopper and tarantula as inside mids.

I think they will also be heavily factoring in next years draft, since they are almost a lay down misère to finish bottom, and Sharp looks like the standout candidate at the moment.

Hence why I said 2 of

No player in this draft is a Harley Reid/JHF stand out pick 1 so anyone in the Top 7-8 is going to be very good player whichever 2 we select with picks 1&6

I very much doubt we will take him at Pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back