Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely elite agility.

Fantastic speed and vertical.

Really poor endurance. Especially for his size. Hes essentially getting lapped by the best runners in only a 2km with that time, or lapped about 4 times in a 5km
So what do you reckon this does to his draft ranking, especially vis-a-vis Berry?

My first reaction was there's a potentially high ceiling there, but it sounds like maybe he's gotta spend the first couple seasons building a tank and muscle at the same time, so not quite enter first round slam dunk territory?

Interesting all the talk of deep, even draft but several clubs happy to go with close to minimum picks.

It’s deep only in the sense that players in the 15-40 range is very even

Not that this draft is so much better than other years

Not surprised many clubs taking the minimum amount of picks

I don’t believe pink is a rookie

But if he is that explains why we don’t need to delist another player off the senior list

In that scenario we would be 35 senior list and 6 rookies

So would have 3 senior list spots and no rookie spots
That was using last year's list of rookies...as you know it's 38 on the primary and 6 rookie listed players making it 44 - we had 2 (?) extra rookie spots from the assistance package.
You could have 36 on the primary and 8 rookie spots if you wanted.

Fair, our board is full of biased crap as well. I've liked some of the objectivity that one or two of your posters have commented to ensure there is some level of balance to what's likely in making a decision around pick 2.

If you would like my honest view is that both Rawlings and Hartley have both been on record as saying (1) we'd like to split pick 2 / or get another pick in the 1st round and (2) its unlikely we will try to trade up from pick 6 - respectively.

I dont really see any way either club is going to be satisfied in doing a deal. From my (understandably biased) perspective, l would be comfortable with these two scenarios:

1) Richmond trade 11 & 20 to GWS for 15 & 16. We then trade 10 & 15 to you. Which l suspect none of you would be happy about.
2) Richmond offer pick 6 & 23 for pick 2. Which l suspect none of you would be happy about.

I know you're answer to this, but if you could stomach one of these outcomes, which would you prefer?

Re: using your F1. I think one of your very astute posters outlined that anyone willing to take futures, you bare all the risk (unless you're a club looking to buy points for academy/FS selections. Outside of that, l think you'd be lucky to get any club before our pick 18 who would be willing to buy that F1. No club is going to relent on their position this year - even Richmond, who unfortunately hold a lot of the cards to continue to get 'overs' for teams desperate to be part of the pointy end of this years draft.

I'm not a poster who wants any other clubs supporters to try and suck an egg, because ultimately l think this year will become way too hard for any club to be satisfied in relenting their position in the 1st round. Whilst we look sexy right now given all the discussion has moved to the draft, reality is were going to be god f'ing awful for a few years and thats going to suck even if we can be chipper about watching some kids grow.

Happy for you to delete or berate me, just trying to read the play, knowing we both are unlikely to find a place where we both feel like winners in doing a deal.

Its well stated this is an even draft & this is the basis of Richmond supporters saying 6&18 (your saying 24) is about right for 2. If its so even & Richmond are saying just as an example Lalor at 1 then either Jagga or FOS at 2 give it percentages which is random 90% in on Lalor at 1 85% on Jagga at 2 & 85% in on FOS at 2....it doesn't really matter given what you will get at 1&2 there isnt much between them as all Richmond people keep saying. I ask you would you swap 1 for 6&18 or 6&24 bear in mind 6&24 will be 7&29 come draft night.....of course not, not even close.
Now its touted as 10&11 for 2. l assume that North would say no based on drifting so far back & losing control of who they're targeting you are in the lap of the gods of to many teams with needs before your first pick which could be pushed back to 13&14.
I think North needs to find another buyer for 2 or incorporate a 3rd party into the deal with Richmond. Melbourne picks are in a perfect spot for what we want to do & we will likely get both our targets even if our future first goes there with there F1 coming back as well.
If Richmond are keeping 6 then a trade wont likely be done & that's fair enough as well. Maybe we just swap in the F1 with a Saints, Demons or even a Tigers pick 10 or 11.

As noted in the other thread, with the club signing Cooper Harvey to a 1 year deal, we now have two available senior list positions, and two draft selections (2 + 62).

If we were to split pick 2 as many have speculated about, we'd need to end up with no more than a total of 2 total draft picks, or we need to delist a contracted player and pay out their remaining contract.

So we are....
Option 1... trading pick 2 for 2 selections & keeping F1 where it is.....niceeee
Option 2....keeping 2 & trading in F1 for one selection which you would suspect are one of STK Melb or Rich who have multiple picks in the top dozen....
Option 3....trading 2 & F1 for Melb or Saints 2 picks in top 10 and getting there FI

Give me option one or option 3 l could live with option 3....still having something in next years draft is valuable.

The big winner out of this trade will be the sports betting agency they will take so much money with so many options & the odds at least likely to be decent with such a large field of high end candidates.

Last edited:
Lets clear the the rookie spots up and list size according to the lovely AFL:
PrimaryCat ACat BTotal RookieTotal List
36 (Min)10137 (min)
36 (Min)1-60-2844
38 (Max)0-60644

So, yes Pinky goes up to the Primary list making it 36 again, so out of :
Payne
Maley
Dawson
Teakle
RHJ
Who will be promoted to the primary list knowing you only have 2 primary list spots open?
If we pick have #2, then he becomes the 37th player, if we split then you'd assume they are now the 37th and 38th players.
Would George be on the LTI in 2025, which opens up a primary list spot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets clear the the rookie spots up and list size according to the lovely AFL:
PrimaryCat ACat BTotal RookieTotal List
36 (Min)10137 (min)
36 (Min)1-60-2844
38 (Max)0-60644

So, yes Pinky goes up to the Primary list making it 36 again, so out of :
Payne
Maley
Dawson
Teakle
RHJ
Who will be promoted to the primary list knowing you only have 2 primary list spots open?
If we pick have #2, then he becomes the 37th player, if we split then you'd assume they are now the 37th and 38th players.
Would George be on the LTI in 2025, which opens up a primary list spot?
We will delist a contracted player to move them to the rookie list

Which will mean 3 picks in the national draft (either finding a way on the night to get 3 decent picks and not use 62, or to your point worst case use 2,62 and upgrade a teakle/Finnbar)

No new rookies

Im basing it off most of the best runners each year running just under 6 min 2km's.

5:50 2km = 5.71m/s
7:23 2km = 4.51m/s

5:50 = 350 seconds.

350 seconds @ 4.51m/s = 1580m

He'd get lapped 97m before the finish line on a 400m running circuit if they run tight to lane 1.

He gets lapped even on the old Docklands combine circuit, which was 409.12 meters per lap, which is the equivalent to running an athletic track in lane 2 for the duration. However the finish line was adjusted.

Sharp puts almost 1.5 laps (558m) on him with his record time (5:28).

5:28 is ridiculously quick though, Finn O'Sullivan would have only just beat him into to his last lap by 22m to prevent getting lapped himself based on this years combine.

The fastest time in this years draft combine was 6.05.

Thats about 50m short of lapping him.

Its well stated this is an even draft & this is the basis of Richmond supporters saying 6&18 (your saying 24) is about right for 2. If its so even & Richmond are saying just as an example Lalor at 1 then either Jagga or FOS at 2 give it percentages which is random 90% in on Lalor at 1 85% on Jagga at 2 & 85% in on FOS at 2....it doesn't really matter given what you will get at 1&2 there isnt much between them as all Richmond people keep saying. I ask you would you swap 1 for 6&18 or 6&24 bear in mind 6&24 will be 7&29 come draft night.....of course not, not even close.
Now its touted as 10&11 for 2. l assume that North would say no based on drifting so far back & losing control of who they're targeting you are in the lap of the gods of to many teams with needs before your first pick which could be pushed back to 13&14.
I think North needs to find another buyer for 2 or incorporate a 3rd party into the deal with Richmond. Melbourne picks are in a perfect spot for what we want to do & we will likely get both our targets even if our future first goes there with there F1 coming back as well.
If Richmond are keeping 6 then a trade wont likely be done & that's fair enough as well. Maybe we just swap in the F1 with a Saints, Demons or even a Tigers pick 10 or 11.
This is a great summation Rooboy53

It appears the tigers supporters want their 2 un-splittable number 1's, for a pick 1 and pick 6+23 and just don't get why we don't think it's an awesome deal.
Why don't we just keep one of the "un-splittable number 1's" ourselves?
I like the idea of trading our F1 for a later pick this draft, needs to be a top 5-7 pick though.
I am ken on Tauru and Armstrong as a combo too, but has to work for everybody. Still keen on Trainor playing for us as well.

Im basing it off most of the best runners each year running just under 6 min 2km's.

5:50 2km = 5.71m/s
7:23 2km = 4.51m/s

5:50 = 350 seconds.

350 seconds @ 4.51m/s = 1580m

He'd get lapped 97m before the finish line on a 400m running circuit if they run tight to lane 1.

He gets lapped even on the old Docklands combine circuit, which was 409.12 meters per lap, which is the equivalent to running an athletic track in lane 2 for the duration. However the finish line was adjusted.

Sharp puts almost 1.5 laps (558m) on him with his record time (5:28).

5:28 is ridiculously quick though, Finn O'Sullivan would have only just beat him into to his last lap by 22m to prevent getting lapped himself based on this years combine.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

So we are....
Option 1... trading pick 2 for 2 selections & keeping F1 where it is.....niceeee
Option 2....keeping 2 & trading in F1 for one selection which you would suspect are one of STK Melb or Rich who have multiple picks in the top dozen....
Option 3....trading 2 & F1 for Melb or Saints 2 picks in top 10 and getting there FI

Give me option one or option 3 l could live with option 3....still having something in next years draft is valuable.
Option 4...no trading of 2 and F1 & trading F2 and/or F3.

NM Out: #2 & #F2
NM In: #10, #11, #23.
RICH In: #2 & NM F2.
RICH Out: #10, #11 & #23

Personally don't like trading out F1 rather F2 to get back into this draft.
Picks 6 & 10 would be ideal for #2 but l think the Tiggers will want another top 10 pick before Saints 7 & 8 picks.
If this scenario plays out:
#10 - Allan/Lindsay.
#11 - Trainor/Tauru.
#23 - Gerreyn/Shanahan.

gonna be sad not drafting 3 of the best kids this year :(
Not too sad. We need experience as much as three untested young kids, especially as they would all arrive in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round raffles. Further, our second round pick will be around 30 anyway. I don't quite get the angst.

4 more weeks of Richmond wayne kerrs coming here and telling us what we should be thankful to get from them for the second best pick in the draft
We’ve been that crap for so long that we’ve had the crows, weagles as bd tigers telling us what to do with our picks over that time

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back