Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for intruding but if North are considering a trade down with richmond, i wonder if a trade with Adelaide first could work. Where we obtain a F2 and then trade 4 + f2 for 2 (keeping north inside the recognised top 4 players in this draft) which would offer north an extra pick and then they look to trade 4 with richmond for 6 + 18 so you get 6 + 18 + f2 for 2 in the wash.

Personally if i was North i'd hold 2 and grab one of FOS, Lalor, Draper or Smith and keep boosting the midfield.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to the boards thoughts?
Not the worst idea

Sorry for intruding but if North are considering a trade down with richmond, i wonder if a trade with Adelaide first could work. Where we obtain a F2 and then trade 4 + f2 for 2 (keeping north inside the recognised top 4 players in this draft) which would offer north an extra pick and then they look to trade 4 with richmond for 6 + 18 so you get 6 + 18 + f2 for 2 in the wash.

Personally if i was North i'd hold 2 and grab one of FOS, Lalor, Draper or Smith and keep boosting the midfield.

Don’t mind it at all, would make more sense to try milk pick 2 a bit more rather than just jumping into bed with Richmond. Would be very dependent on who Richmond want though. Potentially opens the door on Carlton snapping up FOS/Lalor with pick 3.

How are you going to get a F2 with your current draft hand though? Doubt you have enough capital to make it happen.

Don’t mind it at all, would make more sense to try milk pick 2 a bit more rather than just jumping into bed with Richmond. Would be very dependent on who Richmond want though. Potentially opens the door on Carlton snapping up FOS/Lalor with pick 3.

How are you going to get a F2 with your current draft hand though? Doubt you have enough capital to make it happen.
We have 3 x f3's so i'd hope we could turn a couple of those into an f2 as plenty of clubs have academy kids next year so will want extra points...thats the hope anyway

If you would do 4 + F1 > 2 + F2, F3, it would be more appealing. An F2 next year doesn't have much attraction, unless it was Richmond's. The second round next year could go into the 40's.

Richmond were not interested in pick #3 which could have been easily done in the Baker +#11 trade for #3
so no chance Richmond would take that as #4 & #6 are effectively the same player group

I honestly dont know if they are truly even interested in #2 and most likely just media beatup

If you would do 4 + F1 > 2 + F2, F3, it would be more appealing. An F2 next year doesn't have much attraction, unless it was Richmond's. The second round next year could go into the 40's.
I think we'd just hold 4 in that case and grab whichever of the top 4 is left in the board. That F1 i suspect will be part of a trade play for a NWM or Phillipou

1-Because we are the ones desperate to shop it.
2- you can throw a hat over the top end…..there’s no standout.

Unfortunately for us….which seems to happen in every situation….its not in our favour.
We shouldn’t be desperate to shop it.

We could just as easily use two and then trade back in at an appropriate time on the night using our F2 or 3 if there’s someone still on the board that we rate much higher.

The only problem with 6 AND 11, that I can see, is we have the Demons picking before us and then Tigers picking before us, and they could both take Armstrong AND Tauru. That’s an issue if that’s what we’ve manoeuvred to try and achieve.
We take one of Tauru or Armstrong at 6 don't we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my stab in the dark…

Brisbane: Ashcroft (bid)
Richmond: Lalor
Richmond: FOS
Carlton: Smith
Adelaide: Draper
Melbourne:Reid
North:Tauru
Essendon:Kako (stk bid)
St Kilda:Smillie
St Kilda:Travaglia
Melbourne:Armstrong
Gold Coast: Lombard (rich bid)
Richmond: Allen
North: Berry/Trainor/Shanahan
Think we take Armstrong first personally.

I’ve actually thought all along we should be dealing with Adelaide. But I don’t think you have enough collateral for this year, which is the draft we are trying to get a second pick in. The slide back a couple of spots for us is much more appealing, it’s where I don’t luv the 6 and 11. Why is 11 and not 10? love how many different machinations can play out from here with the top 10-20 though. Think there will be heaps happening. All clubs keeping cards close to their chest at the moment, apart from the one obviously doing their bidding via the media.
Gunna be interesting if any or all deals play out the way we think/expect. Something generally comes out of left field.
Dees I think still try and push up to 2. Blues have no more capital so they watch on nervously, whether they admit it or not.
Saints could make a serious play for pick 2, they probably need that top tier guy more though most. Giants hold an interesting hand as well, worth F1 trading to get up? Lots to happen and theorise about. AFL would be wrapt there are prospective trades that get clubs supporters going to various stages of denial. Absolutely love it.
Think Cal’s phantom gunna be tough work for him this year. Clubs are getting smarter about showing their interest.
Wondering if a club with later pick has pushed the Trainor narrative harder that in needs to to to see him slide back a bit. Could even be us.

Bloody hell that’s a long post. Have had a few beers.
TLDR - pretty much hold firm till draft night. Lots will happen.

Last edited:
I like Tauru. He projects as a key forward I reckon
Yes, he projects as someone that could be very exciting in either defence or attack and if we can't get him and Harry, hopefully we get one of them and Jack Whitlock or Kayle Gerreyn, with the third pick I think getting Konstantly might shift our thinking to someone else but early days so lets see what happens in the next three weeks.

The only problem with 6 AND 11, that I can see, is we have the Demons picking before us and then Tigers picking before us, and they could both take Armstrong AND Tauru. That’s an issue if that’s what we’ve manoeuvred to try and achieve.
If we got this deal I'm pretty confident Melbourne wouldn't take Harry, Alix on the other hand is exactly someone they need back there, him or Luke Trainor. If they keep their picks they either go two best mids or the best mid and best key defender.
The tigers would take the two best mids at picks #1 and #2 but with pick 10 they would snap Harry up in a heartbeat, that is why IF we are after both Alix and Harry we go after 10 not 11 and then we can get them both otherwise only one of them is our target, with two picks to go in this scenario it does offer lots of possibility's as to who the other two prospects are.

Dees are a worry. Not for both, but def for one of them.

I personally think the Dee's go mids with both picks But Skilda will be the team to watch regarding Armstrong
Think we take Armstrong first personally.

Lalor , Fos , Jagga , Reid , Draper , Langford are the super 6 mids in the 1st Tier then Smillie and Allan
I cant see Melbourne passing on the 1 of the first 6

I’ve actually thought all along we should be dealing with Adelaide. But I don’t think you have enough collateral for this year, which is the draft we are trying to get a second pick in. The slide back a couple of spots for us is much more appealing, it’s where I don’t luv the 6 and 11. Why is 11 and not 10? love how many different machinations can play out from here with the top 10-20 though. Think there will be heaps happening. All clubs keeping cards close to their chest at the moment, apart from the one obviously doing their bidding via the media.
Gunna be interesting if any or all deals play out the way we think/expect. Something generally comes out of left field.
Dees I think still try and push up to 2. Blues have no more capital so they watch on nervously, whether they admit it or not.
Saints could make a serious play for pick 2, they probably need that top tier guy more though most. Giants hold an interesting hand as well, worth F1 trading to get up? Lots to happen and theorise about. AFL would be wrapt there are prospective trades that get clubs supporters going to various stages of denial. Absolutely love it.
Think Cal’s phantom gunna be tough work for him this year. Clubs are getting smarter about showing their interest.
Wondering if a club with later pick has pushed the Trainor narrative harder that in needs to to to see him slide back a bit. Could even be us.

Bloody hell that’s a long post. Have had a few beers.
TLDR - pretty much hold firm till draft night. Lots will happen.
Great post LB2Snake, there will be lots of cat & mouse games going on and the exact way you said it, if we are after 6 and 10 and not 11 this makes perfect sense and if Melbourne really like one of those star mids and got wind that the tigers were going to offer us 6 and 10 they might very well jump the cue and say we'll offer you 5 and 9 for say your pick 2 and a future 2nd, there is, in my minds eye a lot more playing out, than supporters think, clubs testing the waters so to speak. Come draft night there is going to be a lot of surprising things happen, so if you need to go to the toilet go before the draft starts because I can guarantee you if you don't, when you get back certain picks you thought clubs had won't be the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back