Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

2 F2 for 7/8

Tauru Armstrong bang bang or Tauru Smillie

If I was a Saints supporter. Trade Battle & their pick 1 to move up to pick 2 in the draft. I would take it

In saying that, surely we could get a deal with Melbourne or Saints that is more preferable if that's the case. 2 + F1 for 5 + 9 or 7 + 8.
I’ve seen these scenarios posted on your board multiple times.

There is no genuine chance we are trading both picks for pick 2 and a future.

If we make a play for pick 2 - it’s one of those picks and our future first.

Seeing as you are the only club who is being heavily linked to taking a non mid in the top 10.

It would make sense if you did drop that far. You still have your choice of Tauru or Armstrong.

Giants Swans possibly Freo all potential sides you could target with our F1 for another pick.

But we are on record saying we are focusing on this draft - not liquidating draft capital for next years.

If we retain pick 2 we need to walk away with one of the first 5. Purely because they should add to the class that we already have and will make our midfield incredibly powerful into the future. We do kinda lack a point of difference large mid, however the cream here are not that.

If we either split 2 or a F1 we need to walk away with two of the first 4-5 from each of these lists.

Konstanty and Stevens (likely rookie) has hurt the need for a small forward.

IMO we cannot spend any more draft capital on tweeners when we have gaping holes in the long term key positions, especially forward considering the last KPF we spent any capital on at all was pick 30 in 2019.

Totally agree with that approach. I think Langford fits the bill as the big bodied contested mid.

Regarding the KP's....If we could net another pick inside the 35 I wouldn't be against delisting someone like CCJ/Pink/Stephenson to make way for another tall like Faull or Sims in this draft.

Agree that with Konstanty coming in, that they need for a small forward is somewhat alleviated. In the event that they don't get drafted, I'd love for Jack Henderson or Evan Bradley to come do a pre-season with us.

I'm still unsure with what happens with Stevens, considering his body size, I wouldn't be against him staying on at Geelong as an overage player, and we can look to take him as a father son next year if list spots allow it.

I think Langford fits the bill as the big bodied contested mid.

I don't know enough about the draftees TBH. Draper is the one that (from vids) has caught my eye, the kid has intent and I love a player with that. If Langford is a point of difference I'd be happy with that.

Regarding the KP's....If we could net another pick inside the 35 I wouldn't be against delisting someone like CCJ/Pink/Stephenson to make way for another tall like Faull or Sims in this draft.

delist them anyway and take the cap hit? none of those three are likely to be on the list in 2026, if we have to move one (or all) of them, then just do it.

Agree that with Konstanty coming in, that they need for a small forward is somewhat alleviated. In the event that they don't get drafted, I'd love for Jack Henderson or Evan Bradley to come do a pre-season with us.
Getting a speculative one cheap would be ok, we need another developing. We still probably need to shed a tweener.

I'm still unsure with what happens with Stevens, considering his body size, I wouldn't be against him staying on at Geelong as an overage player, and we can look to take him as a father son next year if list spots allow it.
This is potentially a better call than realistically looking at him this year, however we also have potential access to up to 5 father sons next year as it stands, pushing river back a year makes 6.

I’ve seen these scenarios posted on your board multiple times.

There is no genuine chance we are trading both picks for pick 2 and a future.

If we make a play for pick 2 - it’s one of those picks and our future first.

Seeing as you are the only club who is being heavily linked to taking a non mid in the top 10.

It would make sense if you did drop that far. You still have your choice of Tauru or Armstrong.

Giants Swans possibly Freo all potential sides you could target with our F1 for another pick.

But we are on record saying we are focusing on this draft - not liquidating draft capital for next years.
Do you think you guys would prefer to use your F1 or a three way with GWS (who are apparently looking to move up)?

North 2 < 7,15
GWS 15,16 < 8
St Kilda 7,8 < 2,16

Do you think you guys would prefer to use your F1 or a three way with GWS (who are apparently looking to move up)?

North 2 < 7,15
GWS 15,16 < 8
St Kilda 7,8 < 2,16
Not in that scenario. No.

We could arguably try and send 7+F1 for p2 and 15+16 for 8 which would give us 3 first rounders this year which is what we are trying to achieve anyway (we are also shopping our future first).

Whilst it’s a loaded draft, it’s really hard to get the value of other years for you blokes trading pick 2.

No club is giving you 2 top 8 picks for your pick 2.

We would arguably be in a better position ensuring each trade is seperate and on its own merit once the draft plays out and as long as North remain infront of us between picks 2-6, we will land one of those mids (likely Smillie or Langford right now) and potentially 2 if we either rate Reid ourselves or he goes between 3-6.

Truth be told, 8 + our F1 might be a better deal then 6+18.

Our F1 should in theory be able to get you a better teens pick which gets you access to better tier 2 prospect - potentially even Trainor.

You’ll likely get Tauru at 6 or 8 and you’ll definitely get Armstrong.

I don't know enough about the draftees TBH. Draper is the one that (from vids) has caught my eye, the kid has intent and I love a player with that. If Langford is a point of difference I'd be happy with that.

delist them anyway and take the cap hit? none of those three are likely to be on the list in 2026, if we have to move one (or all) of them, then just do it.

Getting a speculative one cheap would be ok, we need another developing. We still probably need to shed a tweener.

This is potentially a better call than realistically looking at him this year, however we also have potential access to up to 5 father sons next year as it stands, pushing river back a year makes 6.

I think Draper (speed), FOS (versatility), Lalor (Power, versatility) and Langford (tall, big body) are the ones that probably make the most sense if we hold onto pick 2. I'd be happy with any of the 4 if I'm honest.

I wouldn't be against delisted a few more, but we'd have to improve our draft hand prior to the draft. No point delisting the likes of Stevo when our 2nd pick is in the 60's.

Realistically, I don't think it's looking likely that we'll have any Father Sons next year. 2026 is looking the most likely with Sam Harris and Aiden McCartney showing plenty. Archer Grant (2025) was on Sandy's list this year but only played the one game so still looks a long way off. As far as I'm aware, Fairley, Schwass, Pickett and Simpson haven't been involved in any elite pathways (Coates league ect) at this stage.

River Stevens (2024)
Zach Fairley (2025)
Kayde Pickett (2025)
Owen Simpson (2025)
Archer Grant (2025)
Kai Schwass (2025)
Sam Harris (2026)
Aiden McCartney (2026)

Not in that scenario. No.

We could arguably try and send 7+F1 for p2 and 15+16 for 8 which would give us 3 first rounders this year which is what we are trying to achieve anyway (we are also shopping our future first).

Whilst it’s a loaded draft, it’s really hard to get the value of other years for you blokes trading pick 2.

No club is giving you 2 top 8 picks for your pick 2.

We would arguably be in a better position ensuring each trade is seperate and on its own merit once the draft plays out and as long as North remain infront of us between picks 2-6, we will land one of those mids (likely Smillie or Langford right now) and potentially 2 if we either rate Reid ourselves or he goes between 3-6.

Truth be told, 8 + our F1 might be a better deal then 6+18.

Our F1 should in theory be able to get you a better teens pick which gets you access to better tier 2 prospect - potentially even Trainor.

You’ll likely get Tauru at 6 or 8 and you’ll definitely get Armstrong.

I'd do 2 for 8 + Saints F1. I think that's a better deal that some of the stuff Richmond fans are throwing up. Would allow the Saints to target a top tier mid (FOS/Lalor/Smith) while also allowing us to chase our KP prospects.

In an ideal scenario we get Armstrong with 8 then use the saints F1 and our F2 to live trade into teens pick and a pick in the 20's on draft night to target two other talls.

I'd do 2 for 8 + Saints F1. I think that's a better deal that some of the stuff Richmond fans are throwing up. Would allow the Saints to target a top tier mid (FOS/Lalor/Smith) while also allowing us to chase our KP prospects.

In an ideal scenario we get Armstrong with 8 then use the saints F1 and our F2 to live trade into teens pick and a pick in the 20's on draft night to target two other talls.
And I’d imagine we would happily do that to.

Take one of those 3. (Likely Lalor, we loved him pre carnival before the media narrative got hold - I personally dream of Jagga)

Then on the night we hold 7 until the pick and either select a slider if someone reaches or Reid goes early - Langford/Smillie/Jagga??!

Or ask the question and trade out to GWS and try grab 15+16+21 for 8+32? (Hypothetical)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back