Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gents, I say this with complete respect to you as it’s your board.

But the club with the whip hand here won’t be the club trading P2. You’ll select the offer you like best.

But the reality is, is that only 2 clubs can facilitate a realistic deal. So rule Melbourne out because they aren’t trading a pick out for your F1.

Richmond may give you 6. But the second pick will be 18 at best unless you are also throwing in your F1 - as per the herald sun 🤮

The only other club here is mine. We can give you a fair deal that gets you one of your key targets - we won’t be in competition with you for them. But 7 would represent a massive strategic pick for us if we did grab 2. Which is why it’s likely 8 that gets moved.

Melbourne won’t reach for Armstrong at 5. There won’t be a tier 1 mid at 9.

Richmond could take Armstrong at 6. But likely take the last or second last tier 1 mid.

7 would then give my club either the last tier 1 mid in this scenario OR its choice of any of the tier 2 players and at this point the Giants at 15+16 may appeal more - which you would imagine they make that trade and take Travaglia.

You would be guaranteed to land one of Tauru or Armstrong
Doesn't the bolded suggest we may have the whip hand. We might interested in trading 2, but nothing has shown me we are desperate. Here's the chance for Richmond to pick the two best players they want or Saints to pick perhaps number 2 on their board, could even be number 1 on their board. We have to be happy, very happy, with the deal.......Not, "Yeah we took em to the cleaners" happy, but pleased with the outcome. There's nothing wrong with us taking FOS or Lalor iMO and then trading in later with our F1. You always pick the best player.
Saints competition is Richmond.

I think F1s will easily land a pick in the 14-21 range.

They won’t be so appealing from 10-13 and no one is trading out of the top 10 for one and forgoing a pick.
That is what it will be, perhaps. Each pick taken in the top 10 could be the player the club picking next was really after. That's why there's 5 min between picks to assess next steps.

I think F1s will easily land a pick in the 14-21 range.

They won’t be so appealing from 10-13 and no one is trading out of the top 10 for one and forgoing a pick.

That looks like the case with alot of teams wanting to trade into this years draft and extremely unlikely a team holding a top 10 pick trades it out for a F1.
#10 & #11 - Richmond
#12 - Eagles - 100% will take the pick with not much else
#13 - Port Adelaide - They wont trade that out as they only wanted a pick in this years draft for Houston
#14 - Fremantle ( wont want to trade out due to Warner possible trade , They will have 2 x 1st rounders next year to trade and wont want a 3rd to be targetted by Sydney)
#15 & #16 - GWS . This is interesting as they want to also trade up the board but are struggling to find suitors so maybe
#17 - Doggies also looking to use the pick and want to trade in with a F1
#18 - Richmond

If Stkilda are happy to trade out #8 that would be great for North but what else do north get for 2024 ?
as it still only leaves 2 picks

Maybe just take best Mid at #2 is the best option

Doesn't the bolded suggest we may have the whip hand. We might interested in trading 2, but nothing has shown me we are desperate. Here's the chance for Richmond to pick the two best players they want or Saints to pick perhaps number 2 on their board, could even be number 1 on their board. We have to be happy, very happy, with the deal.......Not, "Yeah we took em to the cleaners" happy, but pleased with the outcome. There's nothing wrong with us taking FOS or Lalor iMO and then trading in later with our F1. You always pick the best player.
Saints competition is Richmond.
See I think this is were we disagree.

At 7 we are going to land someone we want.

Similar at 8 or we turn it into multiple players of the tier 2 calibre.

It’s evident you guys want another pick in the first round. But you have very limited options.

I think we both agree that Your F1 is likely a top 6 pick next year. It doesn’t seem good value to part with that for pick 14+ in this draft. As Twomey said last week, F1s just aren’t as valuable when being traded into this years draft.

But our future first for those same picks in the Vicinity of p14 is much better value for you then burning yours. Ours could be p5 or p12 next year. (Then you add on the academy picks and father sons and you end up getting a poorer talent)

So really, the whip hand isn’t going to lie with you blokes and it seems very unlikely you are holding p2 (**** imagine if you did and took Tauru anyway 😂) because you want more of this years first round quality and you can move into the draft and grab the bloke rising in similar fashion to Bont or Oliver late on or the most consistent tall in the class.

If this draft class had Reid and Sheezel as the top 2 picks. You would be getting a bounty and every clubs next father sons. But the way this draft is shaping up - it’s that even that clubs won’t bend to your demands.

That looks like the case with alot of teams wanting to trade into this years draft and extremely unlikely a team holding a top 10 pick trades it out for a F1.
#10 & #11 - Richmond
#12 - Eagles - 100% will take the pick with not much else
#13 - Port Adelaide - They wont trade that out as they only wanted a pick in this years draft for Houston
#14 - Fremantle ( wont want to trade out due to Warner possible trade , They will have 2 x 1st rounders next year to trade and wont want a 3rd to be targetted by Sydney)
#15 & #16 - GWS . This is interesting as they want to also trade up the board but are struggling to find suitors so maybe
#17 - Doggies also looking to use the pick and want to trade in with a F1
#18 - Richmond

If Stkilda are happy to trade out #8 that would be great for North but what else do north get for 2024 ?
as it still only leaves 2 picks

Maybe just take best Mid at #2 is the best option
North would land one of those giant picks with our F1.

They will happily take one into 2025 and keep one this year. They also have p21. So maybe 2 of those for F1 saints and F2 Roos.

They could target your later firsts aswell.

North would land one of those giant picks with our F1.

They will happily take one into 2025 and keep one this year. They also have p21. So maybe 2 of those for F1 saints and F2 Roos.

They could target your later firsts aswell.
Not sure they would TBH
GWS have lost alot of starting 23 players this year and would have no interest in sending picks into future drafts
They will be looking to trade up to a better pick or take the picks as they fall in this draft.

I wouldnt mind betting if North offered #2 to the Giants for #15,#16+F1 Gws would do that deal
maybe thats the best option for North but that would mean missing on Tauru & Armstrong

Taking #2 to the draft is looking the best case for North

But the club with the whip hand here won’t be the club trading P2. You’ll select the offer you like best.

I'll disagree here for one reason. Just because the media thinks we'll go for a tall, and BigFooty thinks we'll go for a tall, doesn't mean the club itself is thinking that way. The general vibe seems to be when talking these deals is "you'll get Armstrong or Tauru guaranteed here". It's not to say you're wrong but we've made no real indication we're interested that deeply in trading 2 (ie. Brady saying we might look at slipping back a couple of positions, we'd want good value etc). I think people paying attention would notice we've been very active in trying to move the F1, my personal summation is we're really not that keen to hand off the second pick in this draft. As such, if somebody really does want to go hard on making sure they secure a FOS or Lalor or Draper we have a pretty good firm grasp on said whip.

I'll disagree here for one reason. Just because the media thinks we'll go for a tall, and BigFooty thinks we'll go for a tall, doesn't mean the club itself is thinking that way. The general vibe seems to be when talking these deals is "you'll get Armstrong or Tauru guaranteed here". It's not to say you're wrong but we've made no real indication we're interested that deeply in trading 2 (ie. Brady saying we might look at slipping back a couple of positions, we'd want good value etc). I think people paying attention would notice we've been very active in trying to move the F1, my personal summation is we're really not that keen to hand off the second pick in this draft. As such, if somebody really does want to go hard on making sure they secure a FOS or Lalor or Draper we have a pretty good firm grasp on said whip.
I’d say the counter is that it appears everyone who is anyone in the AFL journo circles seems to think conversations are happening with you blokes trading down.

That tends to mean conversations are happening and you wouldn’t be wasting your time with them if it wasn’t likely.

But lots to play out. Can’t wait for the draft.

Hey Mods time to up date the thread title:
2024 National Draft Preview Thread – Now with added input from opposition supporters, who come in peace, telling us what a good deal for pick 2 is, what our F1 is worth and who we'll take in the draft and why we should be grateful for all the aforementioned things.

Last edited:
See I think this is were we disagree.

At 7 we are going to land someone we want.

Similar at 8 or we turn it into multiple players of the tier 2 calibre.

It’s evident you guys want another pick in the first round. But you have very limited options.

I think we both agree that Your F1 is likely a top 6 pick next year. It doesn’t seem good value to part with that for pick 14+ in this draft. As Twomey said last week, F1s just aren’t as valuable when being traded into this years draft.

But our future first for those same picks in the Vicinity of p14 is much better value for you then burning yours. Ours could be p5 or p12 next year. (Then you add on the academy picks and father sons and you end up getting a poorer talent)

So really, the whip hand isn’t going to lie with you blokes and it seems very unlikely you are holding p2 (**** imagine if you did and took Tauru anyway 😂) because you want more of this years first round quality and you can move into the draft and grab the bloke rising in similar fashion to Bont or Oliver late on or the most consistent tall in the class.

If this draft class had Reid and Sheezel as the top 2 picks. You would be getting a bounty and every clubs next father sons. But the way this draft is shaping up - it’s that even that clubs won’t bend to your demands.
I don't believe we are "demanding" anything though......All Brady has said is "We will look at sliding back a couple of spots".
Personally, I think our midfield isn't set yet, so FOS or Lalor both are very appealing to me. Not a chance we would take Tauru at 2, I think we like him for a teens pick, hence the dangling of F1.

Let's also remember what Twomey's job is.......that is to talk up the draft, generate clicks and get people interested in his phantom etc etc.
I like Twomey, but I'm not basing who I like on who he does......be like taking Shifter Sheahan's thoughts on every player as gospel......"Gee I like this boy, he's a steal at pick 56, a lot of similarities to Nat Fyfe!"

I'm not saying none of the proposed deals won't happen, but there is so much to play out here, I just don't see how North's under the pressure you suggest.

For all we know there is already an "in-principal" deal in place and it's all being stage managed by the AFL. It's cool though to talk and read about.

I think Draper (speed), FOS (versatility), Lalor (Power, versatility) and Langford (tall, big body) are the ones that probably make the most sense if we hold onto pick 2. I'd be happy with any of the 4 if I'm honest.

I wouldn't be against delisted a few more, but we'd have to improve our draft hand prior to the draft. No point delisting the likes of Stevo when our 2nd pick is in the 60's.

Realistically, I don't think it's looking likely that we'll have any Father Sons next year. 2026 is looking the most likely with Sam Harris and Aiden McCartney showing plenty. Archer Grant (2025) was on Sandy's list this year but only played the one game so still looks a long way off. As far as I'm aware, Fairley, Schwass, Pickett and Simpson haven't been involved in any elite pathways (Coates league ect) at this stage.

River Stevens (2024)
Zach Fairley (2025)
Kayde Pickett (2025)
Owen Simpson (2025)
Archer Grant (2025)
Kai Schwass (2025)
Sam Harris (2026)
Aiden McCartney (2026)
Wasn’t archer grant playing games in tac cup

I’d say the counter is that it appears everyone who is anyone in the AFL journo circles seems to think conversations are happening with you blokes trading down.

That tends to mean conversations are happening and you wouldn’t be wasting your time with them if it wasn’t likely.

This time last year the media was trying to get West Coast to give up pick 1. It's fodder for filling pages.

I will certainly amen your last sentence. It's too far away from trade week, although understandable with VCE.

This time last year the media was trying to get West Coast to give up pick 1. It's fodder for filling pages.

I will certainly amen your last sentence. It's too far away from trade week, although understandable with VCE.
That entire scenario is wildly different to this.

It isn’t unreasonable to believe that’s exactly what you plan to do.

You effectively have star midfield talent by the plenty.

Cupboards fairly empty around talls on your list by the same comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the media, which is not surprising, have forgotten we drafted Will Dawson last year. He's a 200cm Harris Andrews type, or that's what he is projected to be....could be wishful thinking by us, of course.
So, if he comes on as expected, Charlie Comben was showing plenty as a CHF before going back due to Griffen Logue being out for 12 months with an ACL.
The media make out like we are going to send Caleb Daniel to CHF FFS!!!
I would love another KP player developing, for sure, but not at the expense of trading out the possibility of a gun on-baller for the next 10 years and nothing else. It'd be different if one of KPF's in this draft looked like being a Walter or Darcy, but they all kinda project similar with no real stand out. We need a brute force KPF IMO and I'm not sure any of them look like that, but they may in time.

I don't subscribe to this, it's still media driven.

I also think the narrative around talls is overrated and unlikely to be solved by this draft. Larkey, Comben, Wil Dawson, Logue should be doing the heavy lifting; Corr, Teakle, Pink, Darling, Maley, Dawson and eventually Coleman-Jones will support. It's not a great cupboard (yet but those first three mentioned are young and high potential) but it's not empty. I just don't think we'll go nuts trying to add there. Perhaps mid late first, early second if we can trade back in, now Stephenson has retired. If we walk into the draft with 2 though I'm certain it's one of three names being read out and they are all mid based.

So many car sales people on BF at this time of year.

Your P2 isn’t worth two first rounders but I do have a clunker down the back that you really need. And you don’t have any control over who you pick at number 2 but 11 and 18 will open all your options.

I haven't seen anything mentioned on here about it and could come into play regarding North trading their F1 for picks is LDU being a RFA in 2025. If he was to accept an offer from another club next year then their compensation would only be a 2nd Round pick if they have traded out their F1st this year. So if he does go to another club you would be entitled to a Band 1 compensation, but it could end up being pick 30 or so. I'm sure Rawlings would have to consider this as something that could happen.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything mentioned on here about it and could come into play regarding North trading their F1 for picks is LDU being a RFA in 2025. If he was to accept an offer from another club next year then their compensation would only be a 2nd Round pick if they have traded out their 1st this year. So if he does go to another club you would be entitled to a Band 1 compensation, but it could end up being pick 30 or so. I'm sure Rawlings would have to consider this as something that could happen.
One LDU will sign and two that’s not how it works. We’d get a pick after our first rounder even if it’s been traded.

I haven't seen anything mentioned on here about it and could come into play regarding North trading their F1 for picks is LDU being a RFA in 2025. If he was to accept an offer from another club next year then their compensation would only be a 2nd Round pick if they have traded out their 1st this year. So if he does go to another club you would be entitled to a Band 1 compensation, but it could end up being pick 30 or so. I'm sure Rawlings would have to consider this as something that could happen.
download-1.jpg

Personally see a lot of Aaron Naughton in Alix Tauru. Been pondering over this guy a lot recently. Almost exactly the same draft profile. 1cm smaller and unsure on weight but would guess in the same realm as Naughton who was 84kg at the time.

Similar pros and cons both as a defender and a forward. Similarly Naughton was a defender his draft year and was a revelation up forward in his first few years. There’s been numerous times I’ve watched Naughton and thought he’d be the perfect guy to play with Larkey. Absolutely outrageous some of the marks he pulls in.

Albeit not physically developed, Tauru has the traits to impact early. Strong 2km Time Trial, strong contested marking.

Interesting prospect.

You are a peanut, Son!

I haven't seen anything mentioned on here about it and could come into play regarding North trading their F1 for picks is LDU being a RFA in 2025. If he was to accept an offer from another club next year then their compensation would only be a 2nd Round pick if they have traded out their F1st this year. So if he does go to another club you would be entitled to a Band 1 compensation, but it could end up being pick 30 or so. I'm sure Rawlings would have to consider this as something that could happen.

Thanks goodness you’re here.

Can you please call Brady

Nobody is anyone then. Defeats the purpose, I can't even remember the last decent Aussie Journo.

What would you know about building a premiership quality list, for the record?

My Dad lives in Caulfield, I've been surrounded by expert Saintas half my life.

Alright, I'll play.

Our 2025 R1 & R3 for pick 8 & your 2026 R1 will do! I personally reckon you're an enormous chance of being Top 4 next year.

A troll or a dumbshit. Which one are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back