Game Day 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a defining day for Ken Hinkley. Can he find a way to get the job done.

All year we've defied our historical trends, which have been so consistent in the Hinkley era, beating a top 4 side away from home, winning big games away in front of hostile crowds, winning big night games at home. And all year I've gone with the trend. So I'm not changing tonight.

We have an average 41 point losing margin since 2015 in our 1-20 run against top 4 away from home.

As a club we also have an average losing margin in away prelims of 34 points.

Lastly despite our 8-0 run against Sydney, we have still seen our last regular season result against our last 12 finals opponents reversed in 11 of those games.

Sydney's win against GWS was phenomenal, clinical and a level above even what our pressure could stop. If they get rolling, and/or we give them a comeback sniff, they will take over with what will be an insanely hyped crowd.

So for those reasons, Sydney will beat us comfortably. Sydney by 37.

Let's hope as I have been all year, that I'm wrong. This is for you Willsy10

Surprisingly not nervous right now. That is of course, subject to change. Feels like work is going to drag big time today.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but let's hope the boys turn up tonight, because if there's one certainty about them, it's the consistent degree of uncertainty they leave us supporters in pre game.

The following two games WILL be legacy defining. You won't get those two games unless you start it tonight.
It's never enough and the job is never done. When the chips are down we need to dig deep and remember that all the hard work, all the inspirational wins and gut wrenching losses were all to get you to this point. You don't need to change your style or go out there headhunting, just do what you do best and leave nothing out there. I'd have had Robbie Gray about the place at some point this week. Not to say anything at all, just to subtly plant that seed that these opportunities don't come around often and if you don't take these opportunities, before you know it it'll be gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone going to Alberton? I'm considering it, think it'll be a great atmosphere, but thinking I'd rather be home where I can vent if things go sideways, and I can get access to beer easier.

Yes yes Hinkley bad, job done upvotes to the left - save it for the post match if we lose or take it to the sack Hinkley thread (which is where I’ll join you if we lose)

Carn boys a shot at the big dance doesn’t come around every year for us and for better or worse we have a shot tonight. Praying the boys somehow pull a rabbit out and then maybe I’ll be delusional enough to start dreaming.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oh Yeah Smile GIF by BrownSugarApp

Ready to get my mental health destroyed once again

Now ya got it starin' atcha. Ya got it lookin' rightcha in the eye, right now.

We talked about it, we worked our way through it, we prepared ya for the game.

We gotcha right... we give ya every chance to run this game out.

Now, you've gotta give it back to us. You've gotta wanna give it back. Everyone standin' around this group now. (assorted expletives)

You've gotta wanna take ya chance and really wanna drive the game home.

Drive the game home with controlled, hard footy. Controlled, hard, footy. No-one panic - be calm.
And remember MOST OF ALL ... you remember most of all: what gives them the right to say Sydney's already won the game, that Port Adelaide has nothin left ta play for. Be STUFFED we got nothin left to play for!1!!!11!

Get out there!11!! RIght now!!1!

There ya go ... ya see the things I do for ya?

Last edited:
Preliminary finals at the SCG:

1996: Sydney beat Essendon by a point
2022: Sydney beat Collingwood by a point
Losing by a point would be the worst possible scenario. I want to win, but if we're gonna lose I want it to be by enough that we have a chance of change, even if that's remote.

Anyone going to Alberton? I'm considering it, think it'll be a great atmosphere, but thinking I'd rather be home where I can vent if things go sideways, and I can get access to beer easier.
I'll be there - wouldn't miss it.

I really dont think the job/saving kennys career is “done”. If anything to entrench him, it would be finally getting over his prelim hump. And then next week we go to what happened portzzzzz mk2.

We have a good mix of maturity and youth, if anything as silly and big headed as it sounds i feel like our biggest test was last week at home cut throat final underdogs friday night lights. We would be in a way way way worst position had we beaten the cats and faced brisbane at home in a prelim off the back of 1 game in28 days because we come back so lethargic and asleep off breaks.

Now for some happy clapping

JHF is the chosen one. We never had him or anyone close to him in a prelim final and he will be the difference. Banged up or bad cramp we will see tonight, lets ****ing go

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back