Game Day 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot is said about how poor we are in finals, and the stats don't lie. But I think Sydney have shown over the years that they can stink it up on the big stage too, especially when you hit them hard with pressure.
The difference is that this bunch of fraudulent freeloaders can be guaranteed home town favouritism and blatant charity on a level that makes last week look like the teddy bears picnic. For Port to win they need to find a way to nullify the impact of this. Failing that..get Dixon to lay out Heaney and The Smear early. Only costs two frees and removes two of their biggest charity receivers.

QF I was extremely positive going in, as was the general vibe on this forum.

SF I was basically resigned to the loss. Expectations through the floor.

I really can’t read exactly what the vibe is right now. Do or die? Free swing? NFI.
Vibe is kinda “positively negative”

Feel like we all know we a big shot at losing tonight but choosing to ignore history and stats and be positive and hopeful.

Been hopeful before and been let down and disappointed literally everytime. Hopefully tonight’s different

QF I was extremely positive going in, as was the general vibe on this forum.

SF I was basically resigned to the loss. Expectations through the floor.

I really can’t read exactly what the vibe is right now. Do or die? Free swing? NFI.

i'm in the free swing camp. Going in as underdogs is a far more comfortable position to be in for supporters (and probably the players)

Nah not with Dixon in. If Dixon doesn't play I'd expect burton to go forward and play the Marshall role (hopefully not the subbed out by half time bit).

Otherwise he is replacing Lorenz so either the sub or he plays half back with Sinn as the sub.
I like Burton as sub (mitigates the injury risk) but the way Hinkley was talking about him in the presser I doubt he starts there. Sinn is a likely option, but I'd prefer they go back to Narkle as sub, with Burgoyne back to his wing defence role and Burton and Sinn filling in the Houston and Farrell roles respectively.

September 20th

Gaucho Day
View attachment 2115492

September 20th, 1835: my homestate’s second attempt for independence — the first, as a constituted province.

The war lasted 10 years. We lost, but we made the Empire work a lot for the win. 🙂

Hopefully, Port is able to get the victory that escaped from us 189 years ago.

On this day in 1990, East and West Germany officially ratified re-unification.
That is “Never Fear Us Apart” on steroids.

It’s in the stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sinn is a likely option, but I'd prefer they go back to Narkle as sub, with Burgoyne back to his wing defence role and Burton and Sinn filling in the Houston and Farrell roles respectively.
Sinn named on the ground is a fair indication he won't be sub. I can't recall it ever being someone not originally named on the bench, aside from late changes.

Presumably it's Narkle sub, with Burton back to defence. The question is do they keep Burgoyne at half-back based on its success last week and move Sinn to the wing, or does Burgoyne go back to the wing.

The cupboard looked bare last week, but normal programing has resumed and we seem to have too many half-backs on paper.

Sinn named on the ground is a fair indication he won't be sub. I can't recall it ever being someone not originally named on the bench, aside from late changes.

Presumably it's Narkle sub, with Burton back to defence. The question is do they keep Burgoyne at half-back based on its success last week and move Sinn to the wing, or does Burgoyne go back to the wing.

The cupboard looked bare last week, but normal programing has resumed and we seem to have too many half-backs on paper.

I have always thought the sub has to come from the bench and that's what Port is indicating.

Burton, Travis Boak, Francis Evans, Quinton Narkle and Jackson Mead have been named on the bench, with the tactical substitute to be chosen from the interchange and announced one hour before the bounce.

Hide Hiding GIF

We only dream of finals over here. Mediocrity has become our thing.
I would straight swap Ken for Pepsi Nuts all day.
Mmmm? :think:

How about you just take Ken? You can even have him for free!

Day America GIF

I have always thought the sub has to come from the bench and that's what Port is indicating
I think it does, but the starting Interchange isn't always the named Interchange on Thursday.

But I think you're right that it's meant to be a player from the named bench, even if the rest of the starting bench is different when the final teams are confirmed 90 minutes beforehand.

We have named a bench of our most likely to be sub players. So Sinn's starting.

Our current age/list profile is still pretty young compared to the other preliminary finalists.

All 3 of those teams are realistically in that perfect sweet spot of age/experience

It would be a miracle if we could get anywhere close to the flag this year

14 players with 100 games or less experience, with 7 under 50 alone.

Although we are on average 900 grams heavier than Sydney so lets put that into good use.

1726807014232.png
1726807024185.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back